By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Wii due by 2011

What They Play has heard from multiple sources in the game development and publishing community that Nintendo is currently showing early presentations of its next home console hardware. Apparently set to hit the market “by 2011” the new device is said to be the true “next generation” Nintendo console, and far more than a simple refresh of the current hardware. Unlike previous console transitions from Nintendo, the new system will be presented as a true successor to the Wii, and is being dubbed by those that have seen the presentation as “Wii HD.” There is no indication if this will be its eventual name, but the nature of the transition has been characterized as similar to “the shift from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance,” where familiar, key elements were left intact while the core hardware was made more powerful. It is expected by all those that we have spoken to on the subject that the new device will retain the Wii name in part.

link :http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/?gclid=CJ2d8d6Pm5kCFVCE7Qod1EBGCg

Around the Network

Making a console that DOESN'T say wii, would just be stupid. People wont want it because its not the wii.

I think we'll see the HD version of the Wii in 2010 which will enable Wii games to be played in hd and that is really the only difference that I think it will have to the current Wii. Kind of like the GBA SP and DS Lite, then I think we'll see the real Wii 2 -- more advanced tech, etc, somewhere between 2012 and 2014

Heavens to Murgatoids.

2011's too early, I think. They may announce it then, but I believe it won't come out until Holiday '12. Other than that, they're just reiterating what everyone's been saying for years.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

hmmm.....wander how much?

Around the Network

This sounds like the PS1 --> PS2 approach.

Is it, dare I say, WiiHD confirmed?

8*>

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

2011 sounds early to me too

mike_intellivision said:
This sounds like the PS1 --> PS2 approach.

Is it, dare I say, WiiHD confirmed?

8*>

Mike from Morgantown

Not quite. Nintendo hasn't said that we wouldn't need our PC's anymore. 8D

It is just not true.

Since when did Nintendo showcase hardware developments to "multiple sources in the game development and publishing community"?

Since never, that's when. And the article's six moinths old.

Sure, they have a big research spend and it has taken a big hike. A big lump of that will be down to the exchange rate anyhows, and much of the rest because they have the money to spend, so they are spending it. And probably on something spectacularly good.

But Wii HD in 2011?

No. Not unless you are Michael Pachter.

i dont think it will be all that strange if they name, what ever the next nintendo console is, Wii HD.
it would sit well with the public, and by that time HD will really be up and running.

hello how are you.