By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could Microsoft Purchase Square Enix???

Soriku said:
Diomedes1976 said:
You cant buy something that isnt in sale .There may be some thousands of shares on the market for the people to buy but most probably the current direction has big enough core percentage under control to avoid hostile takeovers .

Plus ,Sony has a share of Square Enix .

MADE UP STUFF FTW! Lol, that's not true. At all.

What?! You don't know? Sony bailed out SE (then Squaresoft) during their crisis after the Spirits Within debacle, which nearly rendered the company bankrupt. I think more shares were shifted towards the company's british part as well during this (Square Enix was just Squaresofts british division, right? Can't quite remember).

The saddest thing in all this, is that I own Spirits Within on DVD... (shudder)...  

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Soriku said:
Diomedes1976 said:
You cant buy something that isnt in sale .There may be some thousands of shares on the market for the people to buy but most probably the current direction has big enough core percentage under control to avoid hostile takeovers .

Plus ,Sony has a share of Square Enix .

MADE UP STUFF FTW! Lol, that's not true. At all.

What?! You don't know? Sony bailed out SE (then Squaresoft) during their crisis after the Spirits Within debacle, which nearly rendered the company bankrupt. I think more shares were shifted towards the company's british part as well during this (Square Enix was just Squaresofts british division, right? Can't quite remember).

The saddest thing in all this, is that I own Spirits Within on DVD... (shudder)...

Not sad owing FF-SW. It's still a great movie, it just sucked that it didn't relate much to the games ie weapons, summons etc.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Why? Why would MS buy out Square Enix? They don't have to.

It's far cheaper for them to build their own studios (Mistwaker) from old SE employees rather than just buy out another company. For the userbase, Blue Dragon did insanely well, and helped the X360 almost as much as a Final Fantasy would, but at a faction of the cost of buying SE to make a game for them.

Really, the only thing MS needs is to forge more relationships with JRPG developers - Atlus, Taito, SE, Nippon Ichi, Sega, Namco, and so on to build more RPGs for them. 100 million USD in moneyhats would bring much bigger profits from spreading the love, rather than spending billions on Square Enix. Heck, I doubt Mistwaker's current budget is barely a fraction of what it's taking to build FFXIII (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were well under $50m together. A good deal if you ask me for what BD has already done for the X360 in Japan).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

Why? Why would MS buy out Square Enix? They don't have to.

It's far cheaper for them to build their own studios (Mistwaker) from old SE employees rather than just buy out another company. For the userbase, Blue Dragon did insanely well, and helped the X360 almost as much as a Final Fantasy would, but at a faction of the cost of buying SE to make a game for them.

Really, the only thing MS needs is to forge more relationships with JRPG developers - Atlus, Taito, SE, Nippon Ichi, Sega, Namco, and so on to build more RPGs for them. 100 million USD in moneyhats would bring much bigger profits from spreading the love, rather than spending billions on Square Enix. Heck, I doubt Mistwaker's current budget is barely a fraction of what it's taking to build FFXIII (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were well under $50m together. A good deal if you ask me for what BD has already done for the X360 in Japan).

I agree, its unneccessary and it would be stupid. Good point about the moneyhats

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Never gonna happen! Sony owns 8,58% of Square Enix' shares!!! They are officially the third biggest shareholders of SE. The bigger shares are held by banks.

It's easy to make claims like Microsoft could buy this and that. So it's pretty useless to make claims like that unless you have proof. They have enough funds to buy out Sony and Nintendo for that matter! Actually before Microsoft tried to buy out Nintendo. But Nintendo wisely choose their own path. But because Nintendo needed the money badly because the gamecube almost killed them, they sold their shares in Rare instead at an offer they couldn't refuse.

Around the Network
Game_boy said:
Microsoft has practically bottomless reserves of cash though, because of its monopoly position with Windows and Office. In reality it could purchase any third-party game developer it likes, even Konami or Capcom; analysts say Microsoft is almost "willing" to lose $20 billion in the Xbox line.

Microsoft always acquires third-party technologies, puts a Microsoft stamp on them and sells twice as many. You know that touch-screen table? I bet it wasn't designed by Microsoft. Halo? It was a planned PC and Mac shooter by an independent company before it was acquired.

Lol, I remeber that! When bungie first started ot making games like Marathon, they were all Mac, but Microsoft saw the Halo trailer and released that would be great on their system, they bought bungie for a disgustingly small amount if I recall correctly. 

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie