By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox 360 is such a software beast, but why??

michael-moore said:

Why do games sell welll on the xbox 360???

Do the American people buy to many games per console, why is it such a software beast??

Post your own analysis/findings.

The person with the best analysis will come work for me as an assistant writer

Thanks, Michael Moore

I have 23 or 24 360 games. I've gotten rid of at leasts 4 other games.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network

The simple answer is demographics - The 360 had the biggest hardcore userbase, followed by the PS3 and then the Wii.

I should emphasize "had" cause I feel this is changing. The 360 is picking up steam with the casual gamers, while the PS3 is starting to gain momentum with hardcore users.

The 360 ratio will slowly drop as more 360 Arcades are sold to casual gamers.

Even though its impossible, I would love to see the difference software ratio between Arcade owners and Pro/Elite owners. I wouldn't be surprised to see a low ratio of 4 or lower to arcade owners and 10+ for Pro/Elite owners.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

1 xbox live advertizing
2 its been out longer
3 many great games such as cod4 and world at war appeal to xbox owners
4 the system sells well in places of the world that happen to buy a lot of games
5 the xbox crowd likes lots of different games
6 the 360 is bundles with games during the christmas season

phisheep said:
Darth Tigris said:
Can someone please explain to me why the 1 year head start makes a difference? I'm doing several things at once right now and just can't wrap my head around it. I thought I remember reading that the ratio is supposed to go down as a console gets older (I think that was a VGC article if I'm not mistaken).

I’ll try – but it isn’t the easiest of things to get your head round.   First of all, remember we are talking about the attach ratio/tie ratio. That is, the number of software units sold divided by the number of hardware units sold. We’re not talking about absolute hardware or software numbers (which obviously go up with time).   Now, just for ease of understanding. Let’s take a fanciful scenario.   Suppose there are two consoles, X and Y, both equally popular, both with similar games available, and everyone who has either console buys a new game every month.   And suppose console X has been out two years and console Y has been out one year.   And suppose both consoles have been selling at a consistent rate since launch.   As console X has been out for two years, the average console X has been in the users hands for 12 months. So they’ve bought 12 games. So the tie ratio is 12.   As console Y has been out for one year, the average console has been in the users hands for 6 months. So they’ve bought 6 games. So the tie ratio is six.   And the only difference between the consoles is that X has been out twice as long, which gives it twice the tie ratio.   That make sense?

You're not doing what you said. You would have to do, 12/12 =1 and 6/6 =1 also.

Truth does not fear investigation

i think good casual bundles help the 360 alot. But i do agree that it is a beast. Its software attach ratio is better than the PS3 despite its head start just look at the first 2 years for both consoles.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
phisheep said:

The 360's software 'lead' is an illusion caused by the fact it has been out longer, and one that occasionaly gets recycled by the Microsoft Marketing Dept.

360 sells a great deal of software, but I'm still gonna have to agree with this.

1:xbox 360 users, enjoy ''buying games'' no ''eating hype in game sites'' ,.?

2:the xbox live is very, very, very diferent .

3:we are  real  hardcore games.

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

Hardcore gamers buy good games.

NightAntilli said:
phisheep said:
Darth Tigris said:
Can someone please explain to me why the 1 year head start makes a difference? I'm doing several things at once right now and just can't wrap my head around it. I thought I remember reading that the ratio is supposed to go down as a console gets older (I think that was a VGC article if I'm not mistaken).

I’ll try – but it isn’t the easiest of things to get your head round.   First of all, remember we are talking about the attach ratio/tie ratio. That is, the number of software units sold divided by the number of hardware units sold. We’re not talking about absolute hardware or software numbers (which obviously go up with time).   Now, just for ease of understanding. Let’s take a fanciful scenario.   Suppose there are two consoles, X and Y, both equally popular, both with similar games available, and everyone who has either console buys a new game every month.   And suppose console X has been out two years and console Y has been out one year.   And suppose both consoles have been selling at a consistent rate since launch.   As console X has been out for two years, the average console X has been in the users hands for 12 months. So they’ve bought 12 games. So the tie ratio is 12.   As console Y has been out for one year, the average console has been in the users hands for 6 months. So they’ve bought 6 games. So the tie ratio is six.   And the only difference between the consoles is that X has been out twice as long, which gives it twice the tie ratio.   That make sense?

You're not doing what you said. You would have to do, 12/12 =1 and 6/6 =1 also.

Um, yes I am.

If (on average) each console has 12 games then software/hardware is 12/1 which is 12. That's the attach ratio/tie ratio which is the headline figure that people get hung up on.

If  instead you divide 12 (games) by 12 (months) you get 1, true. That gives you how often people buy games for the console, which is a much better measure and the one I prefer, but isn't the one that makes the headlines. And it doesn't explain why the tie ratio depends on how long the console was out, which is what I'm trying to explain.

go to any school and find a group of gamers... they talking about 360 and pc 24/7 and always home playing games... thats how its in mine