Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 8 most important videogame systems

So 9 and 10 is 360.

Around the Network

PS2 should higher on that list.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Agreed with the whole list. Sony has had a lot of success in the gaming department (sans PS3 obviously), but were they that important compared to any of the other systems? No. None of them have gotten such a strangle-hold on the mainstream as the Ninty systems have.

The reason you put for putting Wii at the top spot should be the exact same reason why PS2 should at the very least be #2.

PS1 is far more important then then any nintendo system you listed. I will tell you why.

It really is what started to pull away from video games as a hobby. Or only children play video games. PS1 + PS2 are what made the video game industry as big as it is today. The wii is going against everything those two systems have put forth. Just when the public starts to see gaming as something adults and children can both enjoy, the Wii comes along and make it see like video games are meant only for children. The entire system is built around child friendly games. The system has weak graphics. The wii should be number 8, PS1 number 2 and PS2 number 1. Push everything else back 2.

Around the Network

1. Magnavox Odyssey - First System

2. NES - Games like Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda made games more popular

3. PS2 - Best games on any system, ever.

4. Wii - Likely saved gaming from another crash like in 1983 with its appeal to the casual market.

5. PS - Not the first disk based console, but definately the most popular

6. N64 - Had a lot of great first party titlex

7. Genesis - Gave Nintendo a good run for its money, good system. Even though the 32x and Sega CD sucked ass.

8. PS3/360 (tie) - Brought amazing graphics, and high definition movies into the mix.

RolStoppable said:
reask said:
So 9 and 10 is 360.

Why don't you pretend that it is #8?

Because that would be too high for it.

No SNES? Fail.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

I think the top spots should go to the consoles that truly expanded the market. Out of the ones that've been relevant during my life that would mean the NES, PS1, and Wii. The SNES was better than the NES and PS2 better than the PS1, but their impact on the market wasn't anywhere near as great.

Aside from that... I don't know much about pre-NES consoles, and can't nominate any handheld other than the original Gameboy.

In G4's version of this, the ps1 was #1. That one, I agree with. It's simple really: ps1 made the big transition from courting those who have no money to spend to those who spend their own money. The wii now successfully reaches all audiences but ps1 made the first major expansion of the industry and it's way too early to even judge the wii's contribution.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler