By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Sony leave hardware biz and become only publisher?

Launch PS1 works, Launch PS2 works. Well then I think I am okay :]. Only ever had my GBA break on me.

Around the Network

Bet you guys next gen when MS has no need to try and beat Sony to the punch like this gen they will amaze you with their next console.

Hell no, Sony currently has the best hardware on the market. If you look at the three and what they can do, the PS3 would have the longest list filled with the biggest points.

So they weren't making money of the console, that was the route they chose to take but it does not mean they did not make a great piece of hardware.

Sony cant, they live and breath on hardware, their a hardware company, this isint a Sega or Atari style company with billions tide up in hardware and format R&D.

Leonidus said:
Well, your ideas of reliability are based on past experiences which differ from person to person. In General though, Sony products are reliable and suit my needs best so id be pissed if they stopped making Playstations. Sony's motto sums it up for me.....'Like No Other'

I had two Sony car stereos (different models) that both blew a channel on the internal amp (different cars and speakers I hastily add), I had a friend who also had a stereo that blew on 4 occasions and was fixed each time with Sony thanks to the extended warranty he had the foresight to take out.  I've had a portable CD player break by them, I had 2 PS2's break and 1 PS1.

Despite all this I bought a PS3 which thankfully appears significantly better quality so far than my past experiences.  As you can guess from my perspective and many others this image of Sony quality has long since disappeared.  One little ray of light though is my brother in law has just had his old Sony DVD player fail which despite being a early model gave him nearly 10 years good service, now that's more like the quality you expect given the high regard their brands seem to have.

To answer the OP's original question, they should only leave if their gaming divsion became a liability to the survival of the entire company.  Thankfully they've not made anything like the huge number of blunders Sega did to make them withdraw so I expect them to be around for a PS4.

Around the Network

so you are saying a very good and reliable hardware maker should stop making game hardware?WTH?

their console(PS3) is the most expensive console in the gaming history and it still sells very decent.since they are not doing super awesome they should leave the industry?

SpartanFX said:
so you are saying a very good and reliable hardware maker should stop making game hardware?WTH?

their console(PS3) is the most expensive console in the gaming history and it still sells very decent.since they are not doing super awesome they should leave the industry?

LOLOLOLOLOL The PS3 isnt the most espensive console ever.

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png

given it's 2 years old,,it is

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png thats many consoles inflation, 2 of those consoles cost more at launch back in the day then the PS3 did.

No, competition is good.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089