By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo; a difference of opinion

not my thing either, i'm only getting UT to play against pc gamers and, dare i hope, xbots... ohhh, i'm getting a chubby!

Around the Network

I will buy a 360 between October and March, but I´m not entirely sold on Halo.

It´s just my personal taste, I don´t like FPS games that much. But I´m totally excited about games like Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata and Oblivion. I´m an RPG and Adventure fan and luckily there are enough RPG´s on the 360 now to make me buy one.

So yes and no, I´ll probably buy Halo 3 but it is not a sure thing for me.

Everyone likes what they like... I like all good games and I feel Halo is in that category but I know many people (even many 360 owners) who are not hyped for it.

Halo 3 is high on my list, but we shouldn't forget that there are a lot of great games coming out this year on all of the platforms and genres. I get disappointed with the focus on Halo 3...

Is just personal preference really. I have yet to buy Halo though I had an xbox and now an xbox 360. I LOVE playing co-op so now that Halo 3 has it I will be picking it up only because of that. I don't know the story so not trying to finish the fight or anything as I just want to play with my friends and most are getting it. I think most people hate on it because they feel is over hyped and try to come up with other games that are better especially using PC as an example which is dumb I think because halo was made for a console system so you should compare it to othe console games. Again it all boils down to preference and you can never ever make everyone happy.

fagarcia76 said:
I am not looking to insult anyone here. Halo is undboubtedly a great game, and has a huge following. But am I the only one who honestly does not care for it? I'm not saying it's a bad game; I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea. I would much rather play some unreal tournament with a mouse and keyboard, or immerse myself in the World that is Metroid Prime. I have played Halo and Halo 2 with friends and enjoyed it, but mostly becuase of the friends aspect of it; and not necessarily the game. Anyone else out there who is not obsessed with Halo???

Good question... I am not a huge fan of pure FPS games unless they have something that is a twist -- i.e. Bioshock.  I don't do multiplayer.  I don't have the time and frankly it just doesn't interest me.  I always looked at Halo as a single player campaign game and didn't give it a second thought.  I knew it was an FPS and had no interest in it.  My local gamestop dude convince me to give it a try (on my 360) and at first, I didn't get into it but it didn't take long and I was strangely hooked (crack delivery through the controller perhaps?).  I couldn't put it down and when I finally did all I could think about was getting back to it and continuing the campaign.  Unlike others, I actually liked H2 better than 1 because it was less repetitive in terms of scenery and backtracking and because the story was fleshed out a little more than in 1.  I'm now drawn to 3 primarily to see where the story goes (ends) and to enjoy a little more of whatever the "crack" ingredient is in Halo that I find interesting.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Me, I don't care much for the Halo series except how we plan on making a machinima out of it.

I didn't like Halo CE the first time I played it. I was like, WTF is so great about it? Then I played Halo 2 multiplayer at a friends house and I was like, I need to get Live and this game!! Love it, can't stand the teen trash talkers but deal with them for all the goodness that is Halo 2 online.

I've found there's a very vocal anti-Halo clique out there. I used to be part of it, actually, but I've slowly come around to the series. I still think it's a bit overrated, but it is a pretty good series.

gebx said:
I mentioned this in the last similar thread - some of us are game snobs... We're prejudice against mainstream games.

While that is true for some.  It is not the rule.  Like I said above, it's not my thing; I don't like Halo.  I prefer adventure, RPG, strategy. I think that's why I like MP3 and HL2 better though.  Metroid Primes are an adventure games and Half Life 2 is like playing a movie (with easy physics puzzles).

If I am going to play a FPS, I want it to be arcadey and ultrafast, Timesplitters.  I am not very competitive, I don't really care if I win or lose.  I just want it to be fun.  Halo 2, from my experience is pretty well balanced IMO, but I don't have any tourney experience so don't take my word for it.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

PeoplesChamp said:
In general, Halo is xbox's flagship title. There are so many reason for being successful, but i'll give you two, its fun and has great replay value. In my opinion its the next best game after goldeneye (my all time favorite) on n64.

I have 2 questions for you:
Have you ever owned a Halo game?
If so, have you ever tried single player campaigns?

I have Combat Evolved [PC] and yes I have played the single player campaign. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I bought it just after I completed Metroid Prime because off all the hype and praise I read on the internet... and it sooo left a bad taste in my mouth. The single player campaign is one of the worst single player experiences I ever had. Said that I love the multiplayer and still play it to this day. Halo, IMO, is a solid multiplayer game but SUCKS in the SP department.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers