By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Installed Linux on my laptop - impressions

SuperDave said:
Seems like there's a lot of love for Ubuntu lately, I never did like it myself, got tired of dealing with sudo. I always preferred Gentoo back when Emerge was boss and other distro's didn't have anything to compare.

Since i haven't used Ubuntu in awhile, do you still have to use sudo for everything? Or have they cleaned that up a little?

I used debian (which I'm told Ubuntu is based off of) for years before eventually switching to gentoo maybe 4 years ago or something. Apt destroyes emerge in the speed with which it searches, package descriptions, etc. The only problem is that (and I just installed ELive on this new laptop to give it a whirl again) the dependency resolution for source packages was non-existant and aparently still doesn't work. Also, the config files just aren't as nicely organized as they are in gentoo.

Around the Network
Lingyis said:
back in grad school i used ubuntu a lot, mostly for research, which is good since a lot of academic stuff is available only for linux. but the whole issues with dependencies and what-nots is an utter pain in my rears...

ubuntu didn't really offer anything i couldn't do in windows, and eventually i switched back to windows and just started using cygwin and x-win32, which isn't free.

The problem is, this isn't really much of an option for 64-bit stuff which -- at least for the HPC research world -- is pretty much a must.

alephnull said:
SuperDave said:
Seems like there's a lot of love for Ubuntu lately, I never did like it myself, got tired of dealing with sudo. I always preferred Gentoo back when Emerge was boss and other distro's didn't have anything to compare.

Since i haven't used Ubuntu in awhile, do you still have to use sudo for everything? Or have they cleaned that up a little?

I used debian (which I'm told Ubuntu is based off of) for years before eventually switching to gentoo maybe 4 years ago or something. Apt destroyes emerge in the speed with which it searches, package descriptions, etc. The only problem is that (and I just installed ELive on this new laptop to give it a whirl again) the dependency resolution for source packages was non-existant and aparently still doesn't work. Also, the config files just aren't as nicely organized as they are in gentoo.

Apt and Yum are also faster then Portage(Emerge) in that Portage compiles from source whereas Apt and Yum are rpm installers I believe? I always just found years ago that Portage was better at handling dependencies. That might not be the case today, might of just been the result of the distro I was using for Apt.

I actually find myself mostly using Yum these days, it's fast and usually quite capable of handling anything I need it for.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Also, if you're particularly lazy like me, I'm currently running SuSe and really like YaST, it's extremely easy and fast to use.

Putting Linux on my laptop caused it to go in for 6 weeks of repairs >.

PSN: Gippon

Around the Network
Gippon said:
Putting Linux on my laptop caused it to go in for 6 weeks of repairs >.<

Um, how?

Soleron said:
Gippon said:

Um, how?

Bill Gates sent his goon squad to teach Gippon a lesson?

Soleron said:
Gippon said:

Um, how?

Well I created a partition and then gave it 40GB, installed Fedora and it was fine. But after seeing my mates Kubuntu, I prefered the KDE distro and the wireless capabilities of it far out paced Fedora which was to be honest utterly shit with wireless connections. So I got rid of Fedora and then installed Kubuntu which I thought was fine apart from the fact that it would not play sound for some reason (probably lacking drivers). I didn't use it because of that reason and thought there was no point in having it on my HDD so I decided to get rid of it and then merge the partitions together. After I did this Windows decided to have a spasm, probably some sort of punishment for even daring to stray, and after 4 Blue Screens it finally got to the stage were it would not boot. Went to get it repaired and the shops awful customer service ended up with me going back and forth for two weeks until they finally took it off me and had it for around four weeks before finally giving it back to me. All they had done by the looks of things was spent £130 on new RAM and put a shit load of sticky documents on the lid >.< To be honest I would get Linux again if the sound worked because I use it at Uni and the bash command is far superioir to that of command line from Windows!

@ SuperDave: Yes I think it was Bill Gates that caused it after discovering I had strayed away from his baby!

PSN: Gippon

Soleron said:
Khuutra said:
All right, so if my computer has a single partition (which it does), I would need to first split the hard drive into two partitions, reinstall Windows on one, and then Ubuntu on the other?

No; ignore Senlis - he's making it uneccessarily complicated. The Ubuntu disc will DO IT FOR YOU if you only have one Windows partition at the moment. Select "shrink main partition and use freed space" and it will create the partition without damaging Windows.

Listen to Soleron, he knows more about the process than I do.

Senlis said:
Soleron said:
Khuutra said:
All right, so if my computer has a single partition (which it does), I would need to first split the hard drive into two partitions, reinstall Windows on one, and then Ubuntu on the other?

No; ignore Senlis - he's making it uneccessarily complicated. The Ubuntu disc will DO IT FOR YOU if you only have one Windows partition at the moment. Select "shrink main partition and use freed space" and it will create the partition without damaging Windows.

Listen to Soleron, he knows more about the process than I do.

You guys say this, and I've gone through the picture tutorials to show where the option should pop up, but that option is not there for me, for some reason. All I can do is either use the whole disc in a guided way or manually use the whole disc.