By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I've found a near perfect way to determine a million seller.

Red Steel.

It took a long time for that game to reach 1 million. So I figure any game selling ANY considerable amount above RS can make it over the same period of 100 weeks.

Compare games using the "Chartz" button on the top of the page and see for yourself!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

I wonder what million seller took the longest to reach it in the history of million-seller games.

Large console install base help games become million sellers. The sheer weight of numbers can get average/mediocre titles over the line to become million sellers over the course of two years. PS2 did it with some games and now Wii is doing it this generation.

Well, I'm pretty sure the new 50 Cent game will not sell over a million unlike Bulletproof did. It's actually more deserving since it's gotten better reviews. Then again, he was at the peak of his popularity in '05, not '09.

That's actually not very effective considering the "Others" data was added afterwards, meaning it isn't included in any week-by-week charts.

Around the Network

Red Steel got two large boosts that makes your reasoning fail:

1. It's a launch title-- Launch titles get a large boosts in sales regardless of quality because there's not much else to choose from and people want something, anything.
  2. It took advantage of a new toy-- at launch Red Steel was the only FPS for a console that was an FPS dream.  That boosted sales just because people have been wanting to play an FPS on the Wii since the controller was announced.

@twesterm, yeah, but then why would it continue to sell reasonably?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

This is flawed, because not every game gets constant shipping some time after its release. They simply stop selling.

Where to you get it from that Red Steel crawled slowly to one million? It was amongst the first 10 Wii Million sellers, and it was the second one from a third party after Rayman Raving Rabbids. It went there within six months if I'm not completely mistaken.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

twesterm said:

Red Steel got two large boosts that makes your reasoning fail:

1. It's a launch title-- Launch titles get a large boosts in sales regardless of quality because there's not much else to choose from and people want something, anything.
  2. It took advantage of a new toy-- at launch Red Steel was the only FPS for a console that was an FPS dream.  That boosted sales just because people have been wanting to play an FPS on the Wii since the controller was announced.

I'm not sure you got me here. I'm talking strictly  about comparing two games using the "chartz" feature on the website.

If you compare a game like House of the Dead 2 &3 Return to Red Steel, you would see that the legs should (not will, but should) help HOTD pass 1 million as well. I'm not sure which week Red Steel hit one million, but it took a while to get there.

I'm not asking as to why people bought Red Steel.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."