By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can I have a social life in college without drinking?

SciFiBoy said:
Moongoddess256 said:
I had a well prepared answer to you until you said the word "fraternity"
Ha! have good luck with that.

wtf is a fraternity btw, i hear americans talk about them alot, but i have no idea what they are

A fraternity is like a college brotherhood kinda thing. You get pledged in an you usually live in a frat house but you can still live in a dorm if you really want to. The frat plans lots of social events for you to do, most of them mandatory. Thye also engage in outreach and voulenteer work. Often times frats can set up low pressure dating scenarioes where you go on group dates with a sister sorority (like a frat, but for girls) some frats also have hazing. Alot of frats drink heavily. Different frats have different interests though; usually there is a drinking/drugs/sex frat, a more stuidous frat, a frat w/ musicains, frat that does alot of outreach, ect

Around the Network

you know, its a "brotherhood" its a group of guys who are part of a national organization and they do stuff together. And are represented by two or three greek letters. They frequently get houses on campus, where the frat bros live... and party. A lot. Frats are where I went on Tuesday nights to cash in on the fact I'm female and get free beer.

Thats probably not the most technical explanation in the world, but hey I only partied at the frats didn't know much about them. They tended to do a lot of community service too.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

highwaystar101 said:
SciFiBoy said:
Moongoddess256 said:
I had a well prepared answer to you until you said the word "fraternity"
Ha! have good luck with that.

wtf is a fraternity btw, i hear americans talk about them alot, but i have no idea what they are

^This

What the hell is a frat? as far as I can tell it's a house for partying. Mind you, the structure of American university confuses me, What is with the major and minor thing? In England we pick one subject and stick to it.

lol, we had a bar for partying when i was at uni! good times, shame my course didnt work out, best 6 months of my life (socially)

hawkeye, even the nerdy frats partied like all hell.

"scifiboy -  yeah we have a bar too, there's three or four student bars within a few minutes walk from my uni. But the best one is this heavy metal bar, scruffys.

Around the Network

We had a bar in our student union, unfortunately the drinking age in the US is 21 so I couldn't go there while I was actually attending school. Plus, a bar would never give me free beer. And if I wanted to go to a bar legally, I'd just drive up to Canada. At the time my USA money was worth a lot once I crossed that border.

Moongoddess256 said:
hawkeye, even the nerdy frats partied like all hell.

I'm not against partying, I like parties. I would like to go but not to drink, and was wondering if that is possible. I am sure I could sit with a couple guys and just play smash bros or something, but I want to experiance new things in college and I don't really plan on gaming much if it all.

Moongoddess256 said:
We had a bar in our student union, unfortunately the drinking age in the US is 21 so I couldn't go there while I was actually attending school. Plus, a bar would never give me free beer. And if I wanted to go to a bar legally, I'd just drive up to Canada. At the time my USA money was worth a lot once I crossed that border.

:-p you can drink from 18 here in the UK (same age most people start uni) so i didnt have any problem, i found it helped me getting used to uni that i made friends with a group of 2nd years who helped out and stuff at first

Actually, if it anything like England by third year it wont matter cos you will be spending your Friday nights writing up reports and working on presentations

Depends on the people.