By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Market watch: Dow Jones drops approx. 300 points, 4% today. Drops below 7000 points.

akuma587 said:
In other news, DOW drops to 6594. GM is hurting and is on the verge of bankruptcy (again). Financial stocks keep on getting lower and lower. Certainly not looking pretty.

We will soon see the Dow Jones plummet below 6000 then eventually  fall below 5000 points.

There will be some rallies but that will be temporary relief.

Around the Network

I just saw the markets for today OUCH.

numonex said:
akuma587 said:
In other news, DOW drops to 6594. GM is hurting and is on the verge of bankruptcy (again). Financial stocks keep on getting lower and lower. Certainly not looking pretty.

We will soon see the Dow Jones plummet below 6000 then eventually  fall below 5000 points.

There will be some rallies but that will be temporary relief.

And this is why the trillions that Bush and Obama gave away are the absolute worst idea's posable.

We are sinking ever faster, and spending money is doing nothing but prolonging the pain.

I bitched about it when Bush did it, I bitched about it when Obama did it, and I will bitch about it when the next one happens.

How do such stupid people get into office?

why cant we just force the banks to lend?

TheRealMafoo said:

And this is why the trillions that Bush and Obama gave away are the absolute worst idea's posable.

We are sinking ever faster, and spending money is doing nothing but prolonging the pain.

I bitched about it when Bush did it, I bitched about it when Obama did it, and I will bitch about it when the next one happens.

So you honestly think we would have been in a better position now if the government had done nothing and let the financial institutions fail on a massive scale?  Even Bush and Cheney were smarter than that.  Cheney even said that it would be the dumbest thing they could do to be another Herbert Hoover.

I don't think you understand how destabilized an economy becomes when banks and financial institutions fail on a massive scale.  Its a one way ticket to a depression.  Just because you have a knee jerk reaction to the government spending money does not mean that you actually know what is best for the economy.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Akuma is right, its not curing the problem but its preventing everything from crashing at once and causing complete chaos.

Edit: post 1111 wooo!!!

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Hooray for more stock drops!

akuma587 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

So you honestly think we would have been in a better position now if the government had done nothing and let the financial institutions fail on a massive scale?  Even Bush and Cheney were smarter than that.  Cheney even said that it would be the dumbest thing they could do to be another Herbert Hoover.

I don't think you understand how destabilized an economy becomes when banks and financial institutions fail on a massive scale.  Its a one way ticket to a depression.  Just because you have a knee jerk reaction to the government spending money does not mean that you actually know what is best for the economy.

Yes, it's a one way fast track to the bottom. What's going to take us 3 years to get to, and 10 years to get out of would have taken us 6 months to get to, and 5 years to get out of.

We are not stopping the banks from failing. They are failing. We are just prolonging the problem. The issue with failed mortgages as just started, it has not come close to ending. Every time we decide to just print trillions of dollars, we reduce the value of all the money out there. Suddenly the trillion China in essence loaned us, is worth less when we give it back. Not a good deal for China. If we keep it up, they will stop buying our money. Once other countries stop buying dollars from the US, we are fucked.

I didn't say if, I said when it happens. It will happen. Now it's just going to happen with what will most likely be a 5 trillion dollars price tag of money pissed away with absolutely no return.

It's like having a gambling debt, and thinking the way out of it is to gable more. The only way you can afford to keep gambling, is a rich relative keeps feeding you money. One day, they say no, and you now owe twice as much as you did in the first place. That is the perfect analogy to what the US is doing with the economy right now.

Ironically, the only thing that can keep countries buying a little longer, is this massive military might we own. It's like if a 90 pound starving guy came up to you, and said “loan me 10 bucks, or I don't know what I will do” as apposed to a crazed ex football player. Who are you most likely to loan 10 bucks to? I know who it is the first time... after 20 times, you probably will take the rick of getting your ass kicked.

halogamer1989 said:
akuma587 said:
halogamer1989 said:
@ That guy: I agree with letting some institutions fail--that is standard free market cycle. Also, I think the car companies should not be nationalized (they are starting to natlz them now). I also agree w/ the tax cuts and student loan credits in the Stimulus package. What I don't like is wasteful bs like $96,000 for a two man doorbell job and $3 mil for field mice studies. That is just traitorous.

You know that many medical breakthroughs are made researching on mice right?  And the scientific research industry has been particularly hard hit by the recession right?

Lets do finance first, followed by infrastructure.  Mickey Mouse testing can wait.  Edit: They are not hurting, they only seem to be to get more research grants and gov't help.  All science should be done w/ free market principles and the gov't should not be involved.

So let the pharmaceutical industry do all of the medical research?  The same pharmaceutical industry that makes more money by only treating the illnesses than they would than by actually curing them?

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

I have no idea how low the Dow Jones will fall. It could fall below 5000 points by end of 2009. The lowest point in 2010 or 2011 could be well 3000 points.

The worldwide recession has not even reached its worst point yet. Expect higher unemployment rates. It is funny that America falls the whole world falls with it, lol.

2010 or 2011 could be the worst point where the markets/economies reach their lowest points and slowly recover but more than likely never return to those highs a couple of years for a very, very long time. The current economic/financial crisis period is exactly like the Great Depression but 80 years in the future. History repeats itself time and time again due to continuous cycles.