By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Might MS be guilty of false advertising with Halo Wars (Moraly)

twesterm said:
antfromtashkent said:
twesterm said:
So tell me exactly where they call it an FPS and I'll believe you when you say it's false advertising.

Should this be false advertising?

OMG My book isn't a FPS and I'm too stupid to actually look into what I'm buying!!!

Lol that a bit too exreme of a comparison...... Some of the "un-game savy" consumers will look at this and think it is a FPS being that its is a halo game and that all that they have been.... not saying that this is false advertizing.... but its deffinantly unclear advertizing.... The first time i have heard about this game (a really long time ago), by the name alone i figgured it would be a FPS.... obveustly looking into it helped....

So you're saying every Mario game should be a straight platformer?  Things like Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, and Super Mario RPG shouldn't exist.

Ever REsident Evil game should be exactly the same with same camera and controls?  RE4 and RE5 are actually false advertising because they changed the camera and gameplay.

No, every should be the same because some people are too stupid to actually research the product they buy and buy on name alone.  Heaven forbid a series should actually try to branch out.

You feel as if it is the Halo series branching out? I guess technically you are right. I would have just assumed most people on these forums would realize an attempt to whore out a franchise when they see it. It is Microsoft attaching the Halo name to an RTS not developed by bungie. Is this a Halo game? Not to me it isn't, but it is a game within the Halo universe.

Which is fine. But In response to the OP, microsoft does have very deceiving marketing for this one, and the suseptibility of the American consumer will be exploited to its potential upon release. I am looking forward to HaloKarts and HaloRPG in the future though!

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
antfromtashkent said:
twesterm said:
So tell me exactly where they call it an FPS and I'll believe you when you say it's false advertising.

OMG My book isn't a FPS and I'm too stupid to actually look into what I'm buying!!!

Lol that a bit too exreme of a comparison...... Some of the "un-game savy" consumers will look at this and think it is a FPS being that its is a halo game and that all that they have been.... not saying that this is false advertizing.... but its deffinantly unclear advertizing.... The first time i have heard about this game (a really long time ago), by the name alone i figgured it would be a FPS.... obveustly looking into it helped....

So you're saying every Mario game should be a straight platformer?  Things like Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, and Super Mario RPG shouldn't exist.

Ever REsident Evil game should be exactly the same with same camera and controls?  RE4 and RE5 are actually false advertising because they changed the camera and gameplay.

No, every should be the same because some people are too stupid to actually research the product they buy and buy on name alone.  Heaven forbid a series should actually try to branch out.

Lol no.... what?

But i will say that if i hear a new RE game coming out and its called "Resident Evil Racoon City Wars" i wouldnt expect it to be a RTS game :P (although a RE RTS game would actually be really kool)

Im just trying to say that if you have a Halo game Which was a long running FPS game and you wanted to branch out into a different feild (which is perfectly fine)... you might not want to make your trailer so uberly heavy cinimatically... and put some RTS secuenses in there... i would undersand if this was a teaser trailer and no real game footage was available....not a TV spot...

@ twesterm: you are really going out of your way to make some weird comparisons, tbh.

Okay, people should research their products, but tell that to a parent who just wants to buy his kid a game. I don't think they'll go "oh, wait, I don't know whether my kid likes RTS". Congrats to parents even knowing what RTS means. More chances those parents will actually go on "halo" as a title.

On the other hand, it's not MS' problem if people don't research their purchase, so they are not obliged to handfeed them though.

"Dude, I just saw a CGI story trailer on the net for this game called Halo Wars. It must be an FPS because it says Halo, so I'm going to ignore previews, reviews and the Demo on XBL and run out and buy the game without reading the back of the box. Thats just how hardcore an FPS fan I am!?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

i was watching the advert and it got me thinking again about trailers on the whole being misleading.
I hate trailers, they hardly ever show off the real game

prob. not false advertising but can be misleading to some.

Around the Network
stof said:

Hm... maybe not FPS so much as a fighter? Kart racer? no, no it looks pretty RTS to me.

where ? it looks like they are at war. Halo wars. Doesn't look in either the trailer or the commercial as if it's a rts. Looks like it could perhaps be a fps mmo or whatever. :\ If you had no clue about it. You wouldn't think.. AH RTS ! YUSH !

Check out my game about moles ^

stof said:
"Dude, I just saw a CGI story trailer on the net for this game called Halo Wars. It must be an FPS because it says Halo, so I'm going to ignore previews, reviews and the Demo on XBL and run out and buy the game without reading the back of the box. Thats just how hardcore an FPS fan I am!?

The post above you actually explains it pretty well....once again im not saying this is false apvertizing... but if a game was a long running shooter and the emphasis in the trailer is not on the RTS aspect.... why would you think its anything else? especially since surtain scenes show single unints upclose...

there was a demo of the game before release. anybody who was/is even remotely interested in the game would have probably downloaded the demo first, as you do.

ultraslick said:
twesterm said:
antfromtashkent said:
twesterm said:

You feel as if it is the Halo series branching out? I guess technically you are right. I would have just assumed most people on these forums would realize an attempt to whore out a franchise when they see it. It is Microsoft attaching the Halo name to an RTS not developed by bungie. Is this a Halo game? Not to me it isn't, but it is a game within the Halo universe.

Which is fine. But In response to the OP, microsoft does have very deceiving marketing for this one, and the suseptibility of the American consumer will be exploited to its potential upon release. I am looking forward to HaloKarts and HaloRPG in the future though!

I completely agree it's whoring out but it is also the series branching out.  Are you telling me that if the game happened to be wildly popular selling millions and millions of units we wouldn't see a sequel?

DOATS1 said:
there was a demo of the game before release. anybody who was/is even remotely interested in the game would have probably downloaded the demo first, as you do.

There is no question that you can find out that its not a FPS.... google for goodness sakes ... but this discution is about the trailer..... and there is no reason why there is no direct reference to the RST acpect...