By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tiger Woods '08 (Wii) = Boo!!

Thanks EA - you have done it again. Why did you even bother with this? Why not skip the release, and roll the extra time into making real progress for next years version?

IGN review: http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/816/816464p1.html

All you need to know:

"This year’s Tiger Woods effort isn’t a letdown because of a lack of fluid controls or borderline broken swing tracking which – arguably – was the case last year. This time around it’s a compilation of issues that remain in Tiger’s overall Wii effort, as the game has improved only slightly over 07, and still feels like the PS2 version with a Wii-mote add-on. Golf is one of the easiest concepts to sell on Wii, and for some reason Tiger is the black sheep two versions running because it lacks any of the attention that its companion Wii games are getting from EA. There’s no Mii implementation, no online, no Party Mode or Wii-exclusive mini-game content, and nothing that really shows that EA is dedicating any thought, time, or effort into the franchise on Nintendo’s system that – quite frankly – is built perfectly for an amazing golf experience.

If you’re comparing Tiger 07 to 08, of course 08 is the better experience, but it’s still a far cry from what the franchise is capable of on Wii, and it’s pretty obvious that Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 was a back-burner title for Nintendo’s console this year. In a perfect world, Tiger Woods 08 would automatically be sent out to all 07 owners free of charge as a version upgrade, as it’s pretty much the same game minus all the "launch-itis" flaws. We'd recommend this one to avid golf fans, but at this point it’d be a far better move to just wait for 09, 10, or beyond. Tiger is a perfect franchise for Wii; EA just needs to be notified."

Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.0 Presentation
Nearly identical to 07. Interface is clean and easy to use, and the amount of game modes and options is adequate. Compared to the extra stuff in FIFA, Live or Madden, though, it comes up lacking.
7.0 Graphics
Still unchanged from its predecessor, plain and simple. PS2-like in every respect.
6.0 Sound
Rehashed sound effects remind us again of 07. Nothing major has changed here.
7.5 Gameplay
An improvement all-around, but in small, subtle ways. Everything feels just a bit better. No added Mii implementation or Party Mode is missed, as is online.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
It's still a deep golf game, but the sports bar has been raised over the year. Online is missed, as is more attention to local multi-user play. Rehashed from last year…
Decent
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Conclusion: come back to us in 12 months time, when you have a real update for us. And pray that Ninty hasn't released Mario (or Mii) Golf in the meantime.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

ouch.

out of 10 click here for ratings guide
8.5 Presentation
Photo Face allows players to literally transport themselves into the game; great TV-style presentation.
8.5 Graphics
The best looking Tiger yet. Great character models, and Photo Face-created players don't look a generation behind.
7.0 Sound
Decent soundtrack, good sound effects. It's a golf game, so not much surprise here.
9.0 Gameplay
Controls still handle well, and having the 3 click shot mechanic back should please legacy Tiger players.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
Multiplayer and GamerNet's many challenges--the not-so-goofy ones, anyway--will keep golf fans playing for a while.
Great
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

PS3 version is much better. It looks like Wii owners have some reasons to love EA too. Screw you EA. You have tools and you can't (don't want to) use them.

what did u expect, its EA.

Geeze, that is a big difference between the Wii and the PS3 version. I can't say I really care either way cause it is a golf game (though I do like the Hot Shots Golf and Mario Golf games some...). I don't think it will matter to the kind of people who would buy this game. If the Wii has taught me one thing, a game doesn't need good scores to sell a lot of copies.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

the guy said the 08 version was better than 07, but they docked it because they barely improved it. Basically the same damn game.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

It's sad that EA actually did a really good job with Madden, Tiger 07, Godfather, and SSX Blur considering the time constraints but now with almost a year of development we are getting some of the worst second holiday games from EA.

Yeah they better hope they get their act together and that Nintendo doesn't simply shut them out of the golf genre next year.

Yea i see it now, both games have barely changed, and the wii version went up by 0.1 from 07 and PS3 went up from 0.2 from 07. What the hell were they doing during the time between the release of the 2 games?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

they said it looks and plays like the ps2 one then why did they give it a score of 7.1. and they still rate it 7 for graphics. just rate it a 5 and tell EA to shove the game up their ass.

johnsobas said:
the guy said the 08 version was better than 07, but they docked it because they barely improved it. Basically the same damn game.

That's the point. It is the same game. Its only had a 5 month dev cycle for heavens sake. Another "Boogie" of a game.

Why bother releasing anything?

EA had better pick up their game next year, if they want any sort of Wii market share.

So what's left now? My Sims? EA Playground?

At least My Sims looks sort of promising - but I won't be spending any money on EA titles until they lift their game considerably.
(this is sort of ironic, as we are working on a very-high profile EA title here at work... I think I can say - without being fired that is - that progress hasn't exactly been smooth... :P).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099