By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tiger Woods '08 (Wii) = Boo!!

shams said:

..............Golf is one of the easiest concepts to sell on Wii....

................................................................................. 

Satirical EA response: "So then why bother to make it good?"

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Okay ... I will stay with Pangya (Super Swing Golf) than.

out of 10click here for ratings guide
6.5Presentation
Some of the Wii controller usage is a bit odd, though the Wii pointer is put to good use. The small bits of story is basically filler to on-the-course play.
6.0Graphics
Super Swing has an entertaining style, but the game is technically limited. No 480p or 16:9 display, and next to even Wii Sports Golf the game’s visuals are lacking polish.
6.0Sound
Aside from some elevator music and a bit of scattered VO, the game doesn’t have much to offer. The sound effects are decent, as is the overall sound quality.
7.5Gameplay
If you can get past the slower swing mechanic the game can really hook you, adding hook/slice, spin, super shots, upgradeable stats, and some pretty accurate swing tracking.
7.5Lasting Appeal
There are tons of unlockable items/character, and the customization is a plus. Multiplayer is fun as well, and requires only one Wii-mote for the majority of it.
Decent
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

EA please sell your franchises. Some other studios can make better use of the Tiger Woods franchise...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

hentai_11 said:

Okay ... I will stay with Pangya (Super Swing Golf) than.

out of 10click here for ratings guide
6.5Presentation
Some of the Wii controller usage is a bit odd, though the Wii pointer is put to good use. The small bits of story is basically filler to on-the-course play.
6.0Graphics
Super Swing has an entertaining style, but the game is technically limited. No 480p or 16:9 display, and next to even Wii Sports Golf the game’s visuals are lacking polish.
6.0Sound
Aside from some elevator music and a bit of scattered VO, the game doesn’t have much to offer. The sound effects are decent, as is the overall sound quality.
7.5Gameplay
If you can get past the slower swing mechanic the game can really hook you, adding hook/slice, spin, super shots, upgradeable stats, and some pretty accurate swing tracking.
7.5Lasting Appeal
There are tons of unlockable items/character, and the customization is a plus. Multiplayer is fun as well, and requires only one Wii-mote for the majority of it.
Decent
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

I am waiting to see how Pangya #2 turns out. Unlikely that I will grab it, but possible if enough has been added/fixed.

At the least, I am waiting for a Wii golf title with online multiplayer. If only EG5 was on the Wii, we would have the perfect combination...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

that's disappointing, it's one of the few titles that really interested me in a Wii, maybe 09 will be better. has anyone played it yet?

Around the Network

I am still playing TW07 so why would I go out and pay more money for TW08?
I have no problems at all with the controls in TW07, the more you play it the more you adapt. Just 2 days ago I won a tournament after 4 rounds with -14 for the tournament 3 shots ahead of second place. If they have tightened the controls a little it would make the game more accessible for beginners but persist with TW07 and it is a good game. Anyone who owns TW07 should have no need to buy TW08. It is not like I would buy Madden every year just because they tweaked the graphics or added a few mini-games.
I think EA have the right to upgrade the package and fix any existing bugs/features and then offer the game for sale to those who do not already have it. It is not like they are forcing you to buy it or anything. Yes it would be better if they offered it as an upgrade for existing owners - trade in your TW07, pay $5 and get TW08 - but only a nutcase or super TW junkie will buy the game again. If you own TW07 be happy, if you don't (and like golf and Tiger) then buy TW08.

JRI.

the problem is that EA kept releasing franchise yearly. there isn't going to be much changes with such a short time.
on PC games point of view, it's like they are releasing patches and tweak some minor gameplay, except they charge you for a full priced game.

If 08 had improved controls (that is, significantly improved) I was going to go out and get it. Looks like I'll stick with 07 for now.

I don't understand why people are stupid enough to buy EA's sports games year after year... they really have NOTHING new every time... just a few little upgrades here and there, but mostly a broken play system that didn't work in the first place.

@Galaki - no they charge the NEXT punter the full price for the game.
If Ford designs a new car and you buy it then the next year they bring out an upgraded model with different upholstery and a different shape to the front grill do you bitch and moan? Hell book publishers do it all the time, bring out a new edition with no extra content except a redesigned cover keeping it fresh.

EA did a print run with TW07, they want to keep the game on the shelf so the game buying public will still be providing profits to their company, so they do another print run. Except this time they fix a few bugs - this is a good thing. Don't expect to get a new car every year and not pay for it. Play the version you have until it is no longer fun, then buy the next version if it grabs you that way.

If they had produced a game in TW07 that was not playable at all or not fit for the use intended then they would have an obligation to provide an upgrade/fix. But that is not the case. They are basically just doing another print run to keep the franchise fresh and on the shelves.

JRI.