By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will it be possible to do better than KZ2 in terms of graphics on PS3?

CGI-Quality said:
@ Den

I'm sure you haven't done half the research on this game as me, believe it, the game isn't limited...

Instead of saying "No it isn't" can you post me some links that proof that game won't be limited? :)

Around the Network

Well Killzone 2 does indeed look impressive, but there will be a title that can look better on the PS3 i think GT 5 might be the one, also possibly Heavy Rain (this is a v. different game) and GOW 3 as much as I do not like Jaffe as a person him and his team are very talented.

Uncharted 2!

CGI-Quality said:
@ Den
Google it, it's not that hard to find info. Post me a link proving it's "limits". All I have done is listen to the developer talk/show that this game IS NOT limited. Go check Gametrailers for 24 min footage, as I said, RESEARCH please :)

Edit: this debate is off topic, just research it and draw your conclusion then.

Actually this debate is quite much on topic because its about graphical abilities of PS3 and its cost. ;)

That said, on rail shooter could have extreme graphics with cost of gameplay and freedom.

Yes, I have seen that developer talk/show thing(Unfortunately I don' know french. If you happen to have translation, I would like to see it. Oh, well you didn't provide me even those vids so I guess even asking will go in vain.), but couldn't find that gametrailers 24 min footage. Anyway, all those videos show the limits quite nicely. They have shown nothing but one house and its yard. Uh, oh so much stuff to render especially when it seems to be nothing but static stuff. -.-

yeah... i mean, uncharted is coming out and everyone is going to be like "Best graphics ever" then God of war III, and again, "nothing will compare to this", then another game is coming out "ZOMG!!!! best graphz everRRrRRR" and then FF, and people will be like "OMG, does are the b3st grphs eveR" and so on.

Around the Network

I doubt it. It would have to be a first/second party effort either way. maybe someone else can do better with GG's engine.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Taking in account the fact that KZ2 runs with 20FPS sometimes, there will hardly ever be a game which looks better (on PS3, of course) and have decent frame rate.

CGI-Quality said:
@ Den

If you HAVE NOT seen the actual gameplay (when it DOES exist) then I can't further this discussion. I've seen things of the game YOU have not. Those 1 minute trailers don't capture this game's true abilities. Therefore, it's actually my fault for discussing this with you, you haven't seen enough.

Haha, I really doubt that you have seen something there isn't freely available and actually I have seen actual gameplay. They have shown it and it was happening in very limited area. Anyway, my opinion as a gamedev is that they must lower graphics if they want to make it more freely. Lets continue our discussion when theres more footage. Meanwhile you could wonder why fallout 3 doesn't look anything close than most of fps games. :)

OT:

The bottleneck on PS3 is GPU, which really isn't even good one. Sure you can use CELL to calculate some GPU stuff, but it cannot do all or even much. You know CELL is much worse in raster rendering than GPUs in current consoles. As I said if you limit games even more you can however get better graphics, but when games start to be something like on rail shooters are they really good games anymore? :)

Deneidez said:

The bottleneck on PS3 is GPU, which really isn't even good one. Sure you can use CELL to calculate some GPU stuff, but it cannot do all or even much. You know CELL is much worse in raster rendering than GPUs in current consoles. As I said if you limit games even more you can however get better graphics, but when games start to be something like on rail shooters are they really good games anymore? :)

The following is an extract taken from Jan Bart Van Beek of GG on killzone2:

At some point we even found ways to start doing certain GPU calculation on the SPUs, so now a lot of our post-processing such as bloom, depth-of-field and motion blur are being rendered by the SPUs. This freed up performance from the GPU, which in turn allowed us to go even further with shader complexity and particle density.

This is not to dispute what you said, it might even support it. I just thought stuff like bloom, DoF and motion blur were pretty nifty things for the Cell to be able to do, but what do I know?

This is obviously a new technique they discovered and they can only refine it.

Google "killzone cellbe" for the link.

tedsteriscool said:
Alvaritu said:
Uncharted 2 should do it

I hope naughty dog puts water in Uncharted 2. The water in the first was amazing! Or maybe they have been spending time perfecting snow...

Was that sarcasm ?

Becouse water in U1 was ugly as hell :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB