By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games from this gen r Masterpieces!?!?!?!?!

MGS4
Bioshock
Killzone 2
Dead Space

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Halo 3
Portal
Braid
Condemned

I am really surprised howmany people love MGS4 and consider it a masterpiece. I mean wow...did I play the same game you did?

Condemned... That's an interesting choice. One of the more underrated games of the generation.

For me, it's:

- SMG

- Portal

That's about it, I think. I'm reaaalllly picky and there are many games I enjoyed but few "masterpieces". I haven't played enough LBP yet to judge it and I haven't played Braid at all (I know, shame on me).

Games that came close:

- CoD4 (just not enough innovation but a brilliant game)

- Bioshock (last... 1/3rd of game... makes... brain hurt... so lame...)

- Mass Effect (put some life on those off-worlds, make a main quest a tad longer, and Bioware had a world-beater on its hands)

- MGS4 (take scripting away from Kojima, give him an editor with the balls to stand up to him, add more actual play, change the epic final boss fight controls, and you've got one of my favorite games of all time, some of those scenes were just beautiful)

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

There are no masterpieces in this generation. Well, at least none that I would have played. First, a masterpiece always has a great story, atmosphere, feeling, or something else like that. There can be excellent game without those but they cannot be masterpieces.

That said, MGS4 is probably the closest but the story was taken to a completely wrong direction (and I don't mean only the fact that I didn't like it - I also mean that some decisions were ridiculous and ankward). Oh, and its gameplay was very lacking in some Acts.

Zkuq said:
There are no masterpieces in this generation. Well, at least none that I would have played. First, a masterpiece always has a great story, atmosphere, feeling, or something else like that. There can be excellent game without those but they cannot be masterpieces.

That said, MGS4 is probably the closest but the story was taken to a completely wrong direction (and I don't mean only the fact that I didn't like it - I also mean that some decisions were ridiculous and ankward). Oh, and its gameplay was very lacking in some Acts.

This makes no sense. One of the greatest masterpieces in all of gaming, Tetris, has zero story.

I'm sorry but while I believe story is important to some games, this is interactive media and a story or atmosphere is not a necessity for masterpiece status. It can be something as simple as a gameplay mechanic that makes the entire thing work flawlessly.

This goes out to anyone who loves Mass Effect...did you guys actually enjoy driving that space vehicle, I forget its name, on the surface of the planets? That vehicle is the reason I couldn't bring myself to play through a second time.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

Around the Network
AceRock said:
This goes out to anyone who loves Mass Effect...did you guys actually enjoy driving that space vehicle, I forget its name, on the surface of the planets? That vehicle is the reason I couldn't bring myself to play through a second time.

The Mako was the bomb, yo.

Wait, no it wasn't. It sucked.

In no order:

-Super Mario Galaxy
-Wii Sports (I don't know if it can be considered a masterpiece, but it sure is important.)
-Legend of Zelda: Twillight Princess

And that's it from the games that I own...

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Games I own:
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
No More Heroes

And from what I've seen:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Call of Duty 4

I drink your milkshake.

MGS4 is the only masterpiece thus far in this gen for me. It pretty much had everything from first person shooter to third person shooter to being a fighting game to stealth to cutscenes, true next gen graphics, etc.

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Smash Bros. Brawl
The World Ends With You

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.