By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are the PSP 2 and the PSP 4000 going to be the same product?

Hey guys,

I just read something on gamefront: David Perry from Acclaim apparently knows a developer who is already developing games for the PSP 2. He also said the system is "not going to launch earlier than autumn 2009". (source: gamefront.de scroll down a bit).

Now there are actually so many rumors about a PSP2 even I am starting to take them serious now. There is one thing that strikes me as odd, though: Sony just announced a huge line-up for the PSP in 2009 and said they'll push the PSP this year.

One more thing Perry said was that the PSP2 will apparently lack a UMD drive and only play download games.

There are so many PSP2 rumours currently it just doesn't fit the whole "we are going to push the PSP in 2009" claims by Sony.

So I wonder could the PSP 2 and the PSP 4000 actually be one and the same product? Is Sony going to release the PSP 4000 in late 2009 and offer current UMD games for download? That would surely sound like an interesting idea and could radically decrease production costs of the PSP for Sony. It would also fit Sony's claims much better. Or are they looking for a "third pillar", like Nintendo did with the DS? (Like releasing a 16bit handheld that plays download games... but that doesn't sound like Sony, right?)

I think we all agree that releasing a huge amount of games on the PSP and releasing the PSP 2 at the same time would be a bad idea, so we are either talking about PSP 4000 or a PSP 2. And I'm officially allowed to be confused now as I'm ill.

Ok, any ideas? Tell me your thoughts.

Around the Network

Louie, let me quote what certain developer on GA said about it:

'I confirm, but it's not exactly PSP2, just an upgrade.'

It's PSP-4000.

No, I think Sony are going to push the PSP hard until the credit crunch ends when they will release a PSP2, with all games downloadable, a touch screen, good online capabilities and the rest.

Star Scream said:

Hm even more hints... nice find. That would actually sound like a good idea I think.

It is possible that Sony might just push the PSP in to digital distribution territory with download backups of purchased UMD games. But I wouldn't call that a second system or "PSP2", just an evolution of the hardware.

I stand by my prediction.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
Louie said:
Star Scream said:

Hm even more hints... nice find. That would actually sound like a good idea I think.

Yeah, looks like it's only PSP-4000.

However, according to this respectable JP site ( http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2009/0226/kaigai492.htm )  -  PSP2  is in development, and will feature much  more memory AND will be DD only.

stof said:
It is possible that Sony might just push the PSP in to digital distribution territory with download backups of purchased UMD games. But I wouldn't call that a second system or "PSP2", just an evolution of the hardware.

I stand by my prediction.

Hehe, that's what I'm talking about actually. Maybe some developers just call it "PSP 2" because it is going to feature such a different type of dsitribution.

Your prediction would support that: Sony realised there is money to be made with digital distribution so they decided to release a "Virtual Handheld" instead of a true successor.

Star Scream said:
Louie said:
Star Scream said:

However, according to this respectable JP site ( http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2009/0226/kaigai492.htm )  -  PSP2  is in development, and will feature much  more memory AND will be DD only.

Maybe something like the transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Color. So the PSP could still play 90% of the PSP 4000 games but after a year or so Sony starts releasing games that are download only.

Louie said:
Star Scream said:
Louie said:
Star Scream said:

Maybe something like the transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Color. So the PSP could still play 90% of the PSP 4000 games but after a year or so Sony starts releasing games that are download only.

Well, according to the article itself, although the jump in power between PSP and PSP2 won't be like PS2/PS3, it will still be substantial (PSP1.5). Also, the article talks about emphasis on DD content, BUT apparently you will still be able to purchase software in conventional way ( no UMD was mentioned - probably through mem sticks).

So I think both PSP-4000 and PSP-2 are coming - PSP-4000 this year and PSP2 sometime in the future. Article speculates Sony probably haven't even finished the PSP2 design yet.

It needs the umd drive. All games should be released as downloads, i agree. But it should be possible to play your old games aswell. Even if it is at the cost of the battery life. Either that or a accessory that should come with the portable. A device that can copy the umd disc onto the harddisk via a usb cable.

Check out my game about moles ^