By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

why PSP has nothing??...Resistance Retribution is a very good game.

Around the Network

Guitar Hero: Metallica has made it for the PS3 and 360

Yuppers, I'll be adding them all very soon.

Okay, folks. Here's the update for 9th April, and there are several changes.

• Empire: Total War on PC slips from 91 to 90, and seems fairly unlikely to drop any further.
  • Guitar Hero: Metallica for the PS3 enters the chart at 89 this week, as does...
  • ...Guitar Hero: Metallica for the Wii.
  • Finally, for the Guitar Hero: Metallica set, the 360 version charts for the first time at 87.
  • Peggle: Dual Shot for the NDS rises to 87 from 86.
  • The Wii secures a second title on the chart with Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, which charts at a shaky 86.
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II for PC finally breaks free of the dangerous 85 by rising to 86.
  • Resident Evil V on the 360 also climbs to a safer 86 from 85.
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride on NDS makes a surprise return to the chart after more than a month languishing in sub-85 hell, reclaiming an 85-position again.
  • Rhythm Heaven for the NDS creeps into the chart for the first time with a Metascore of 85, although the number of reviews is still too few for the title to be considered very safe.

So, that leaves the chart looking like this:

1. PS3 with 6 titles (3 exclusive)
  2. 360 with 5 titles (1 exclusive)
  3. NDS with 4 titles (4 exclusive)
  4. PC with 3 titles (2 exclusive)
  5. Wii with 2 titles (0 exclusive)
  6. PSP with 0 titles

See you all next time.

if you list Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box under "PC" as non-exclusive you should also listed under X360 and PS3...just saying.

And also: The Lost and the Damned is not a GAME. You need GTA4 to play it, that makes it an ADD-ON, so it's very incorrect to list it as a game, it's not. No matter how much "content" it packs, it can't stand alone.

Around the Network

could u do a 2008 one? i wanna see. just list them, dont need to make it like this 2009 one

The said:
if you list Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box under "PC" as non-exclusive you should also listed under X360 and PS3...just saying.

And also: The Lost and the Damned is not a GAME. You need GTA4 to play it, that makes it an ADD-ON, so it's very incorrect to list it as a game, it's not. No matter how much "content" it packs, it can't stand alone.

Each of these points have been covered in this topic already, but I'll repeat the answers one more time so you understand.

A title only reaches the OP chart when it has been featured by at least 10 reviewers on Metacritic. At the time of the last update, neither the 360 nor the PS3 versions of Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box had achieved 10 reviews (there were 6 and 9 reviews respectively), but the PC version had (26 reviews).

The Lost and the Damned: as I have noted several times, if it is good enough for Metacritic, it is good enough for this list. I have no desire to be accused of bias or anything similar. I'm using Metacritic as my metric, and the title, be it a full game or not, has enough reviews and has a Metascore, so meets my minimum requirements.

However, in both cases, you have a solid point. Both of these issues will be tackled fully at the end of the year when I post the final summary of the year. So, if Burnout Paradise: the Ultimate Box on 360 and PS3 never accrue enough reviews to hit the chart, I will mention in the summary that they should probably be included by completionists. Further, the controversial addition of add-on packs will also be addressed.

Nice update, though I'm annoyed MLB 09 went back to 89, it had been sitting at 90 for some time now after getting back up there the second time.

@Hapimeses Thanks for your answer. I'm glad you're open to civilized discussion. You certainly understand when it comes to add-ons/expansions, they're rated of course because it's obvious players of a certain game will be interested to know if such add-on is good or not, worth their money or not, just like any game. However, since these "extra chapters" can't stand on their own without the base of the original game, they can't be considered full games (not like they intend to, anyway).

Example: When Listing PC RPGs, you wouldn't count "Shivering Isles" or "Knights of the Nine" as two titles, when it's perfectly clear these are expansions for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Add-ons are strictly marketed and directed towards a very specific group of customers: those who bought the original game. Developers don't pretend to catch new customers by exciting them about new add-ons of a game they don't own. I could go on even further. Since there are no demos for GTA4, I could mistakingly buy the Lost and the Damned thinking I might as well pay $20 and see if I like it before I pay full price for the original game. That would be useless, of course.

The said:

@Hapimeses Thanks for your answer. I'm glad you're open to civilized discussion. You certainly understand when it comes to add-ons/expansions, they're rated of course because it's obvious players of a certain game will be interested to know if such add-on is good or not, worth their money or not, just like any game. However, since these "extra chapters" can't stand on their own without the base of the original game, they can't be considered full games (not like they intend to, anyway).

Example: When Listing PC RPGs, you wouldn't count "Shivering Isles" or "Knights of the Nine" as two titles, when it's perfectly clear these are expansions for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Add-ons are strictly marketed and directed towards a very specific group of customers: those who bought the original game. Developers don't pretend to catch new customers by exciting them about new add-ons of a game they don't own. I could go on even further. Since there are no demos for GTA4, I could mistakingly buy the Lost and the Damned thinking I might as well pay $20 and see if I like it before I pay full price for the original game. That would be useless, of course.

Nope, nothing to really argue against there; you're pretty much correct. There is much I could add, but not really anything I can counter with. That all said, I reckon The Lost the Damned will give quite a lot more gaming time than Flower, so does it deserve to be relegated because of this?

Regardless of whether it does or not, I'm sticking with the original remit of the thread: the best of the year according to Metacritic. The Lost and the Damned is included in this because, put simply, it has reviewed very well indeed, is generally regarded to be awesome, and is listed on Metacritic with at least 10 reviews.

As I said before: it's good enough for Metacritic, so it's good enough for the OP.

That said, I will mention this issue in the 'End of Year Roundup' post, as it deserves attention. After all, as you say, expansions are not (normally) full games, and need to be singled out.