By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 8 indicators that you are a casual gamer

>8. You prefer local multiplayer over online gaming

Well, given that I know it's a level playing field at the local level; I don't have to worry about someone having a cheat device with online gaming. I used to play games online, but I really hated having to need a cheat program just to enter some random games without dying upon entry. I wouldn't mind it; if I knew I could trust the person on the other end.

>7. You buy non-games

I see a fatal flaw here: what if it's one's obsession with gaming that would actually encourage them to do something different with gaming? What this shows is that the "hardcore" are afraid of anything that's not a rehash or a clone of something else.

>6. You buy games based on sports/movie/TV licenses

I don't recall hearing people call Madden a casual franchise until recently. And there's countless drones who do buy it every year based on name alone.

>5. You buy easy games or games with easy difficulty settings

Wouldn't that entail, you know, actually researching the games you want to buy? Casual gamers don't do that. And I've never really seen a game market itself as easy...

>4. You only own one current generation console

This meshes with number 7. People who know a narrow category of games, and are afraid to branch out. Both the PS3 and 360 seem to have their own niche of "hardcore" games.

>3. You have a social life

Umm... well, it depends on how you define things. I would argue that having a social life that doesn't depend on posting on game forums would be more accurate. Some people are starved enough that they may even consider that a social life- it IS interaction with others, after all.

>2. You like minigames

Back in the day, there weren't complaints about this. Look at the original Mario Party. It is a bunch of minigames under the surface. So the surface was removed, and now you can't like them? Again, narrow-mindedness.

>1. You own a Wii - This one is self explanatory.

Actually, no. This has been debunked time and time again, so I really won't go into that for the (at least) 18,946th time.

That being said, it's easy to see why some companies are hurting so in the industry. The "snobcore hardcore" refuse to let others in, shrinking the industry for their POV. Those who like anything else are branded as "casual." This is why the casual numbers far outweigh the "hardcore", and why they are so seemingly catered to. They are not the snobs, they are the ones keeping around an industry that the others are so dependant on their own lives for. And this is why I would gladly consider myself a casual gamer to these definitions.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network

I am guilty of all eight of Rol's original points -- as well as the first four supplementary points offered in the follow-up posts.

I DO NOT PLAY Sims 2 -- so I am safe there on No. 13. Even I have my limits.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

RolStoppable said:

There have been many heated discussions on the definition of a "casual gamer" in the last couple of years. I have done intense studies on the subject during this timeframe and today I present you the results.

8. You prefer local multiplayer over online gaming - Everyone knows that you'll find real competition only by playing online against hardcore gamers. If you rather like to play against friends in the same room (usually because they suck at games just like you), this is a sure sign that you are a casual gamer.

7. You buy non-games - Brain Training, Wii Fit and Nintendogs are the best examples. If you happen to own one of these or similar games, you are most likely a casual gamer.

6. You buy games based on sports/movie/TV licenses - Casual gamers like such games, because they don't require them to dive into the realm of true videogame worlds.

5. You buy easy games or games with easy difficulty settings - Real games like Ninja Gaiden and Contra aren't easy and they can kick your ass even on the lowest setting. If you like games that are easy to beat, you are probably casual.

4. You only own one current generation console - Not because you can't afford another, but because you are content with only a handful of games per year or even for the entire generation.

3. You have a social life - If videogames aren't the top priority in your life, you are a casual gamer.

2. You like minigames - Who doesn't? Well, true gamers. Minigames are for people who can't handle epic stories and deep gameplay.

1. You own a Wii - This one is self explanatory.

There are other indicators that someone is a casual gamer, these are just the top 8. Let's see what you can come up with.

Yep I am definitely a casual gamer.

8.  I love playing games with my wife.

7. I own Brain Training, Wii Fit, 42 All Time Classics, Big Brain Academy and Cooking Mama.

6.  I buy Pro Evolution Soccer although I barely touched the last two I bought (on Wii and 360).

5.  I have been unable to finish Phantom Hour Glass, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes.  In the past when I was a hardcore gamer I finished every single game I played.

4.  I own two consoles but only cause I had to come up with something to spend my money on.  But since I got my 360 and completed Fallout 3 it has gathered so much dust it can give asthma so I might as well say I own one console and a Fallout 3 player. 

3. Videogames are low on my priority (apart from trying to get to 9999 on Mario Kart Wii online).

2. I love Mario & Sonic.  One of my top games this gen.  Never understand when people say it's crap.

1.  I own a Wii. 

I am probably the most casual "casual gamer" on VGChartz.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I am King of the casual's. And there's nothin' you girls can do about it.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I have a social life and video games aren't my priority.

That's the only one for me in the list. But I think it's a big one keeping me out of the hardcore gamer realm. I don't feel casual though.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network

All but number 6 apply to me

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i dont match any of your points, but im still, i think, a casual.

PLAYSTATION®3

Joke thread or not, those are good rules to follow. Add people who like Mario Kart in there.

20. You wear a headset on Xbox Live to prevent your girlfriend/wife from hearing the 13 year olds scream gay, fag, and the like. All true hardcores are proud of their compatriots. (Also see #3).

I match many of the points. Please dont' tell my dad. He will beat me if he ever finds out I'm a casual gamer.