By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroid prime 3: Corruption IGN review is IN! Check inside!

People just stop flaming and let's talk prime here. This is why PM buttons are invented if you have problems with a user.

I think the problems Ign struggled to nitpick were not eligible enough to take 0.5 off. IMHO it should be at 9.7 at least, since it's worthy of the first Prime and the controls may define FPS on the Wii from now and so forth. Sequeliitis is a reason to cut points only if they stay stale, Corruption actually renews the franchise, since Echoes was the "Mario Sunshine" of the series.(By a far less degree though.) 9.5 is still an excellent grade by all means, and it's obvious that IGN loved the game. Must buy for all Wii users, and it will boost Wii sales for a while.

Make you wonder if Halo 3 is going to lose points either from comparing the controls as a high standard, or it suffers the same sequel syndrome. My guess it will not, since the user base of Halo is much bigger.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network
VonShigsy said:

People just stop flaming and let's talk prime here. This is why PM buttons are invented if you have problems with a user.

I think the problems Ign struggled to nitpick were not eligible enough to take 0.5 off. IMHO it should be at 9.7 at least, since it's worthy of the first Prime and the controls may define FPS on the Wii from now and so forth. Sequeliitis is a reason to cut points only if they stay stale, Corruption actually renews the franchise, since Echoes was the "Mario Sunshine" of the series.(By a far less degree though.) 9.5 is still an excellent grade by all means, and it's obvious that IGN loved the game. Must buy for all Wii users, and it will boost Wii sales for a while.

Make you wonder if Halo 3 is going to lose points either from comparing the controls as a high standard, or it suffers the same sequel syndrome. My guess it will not, since the user base of Halo is much bigger.

I think if it hadn't been for the pointless collection mission at the end it would have been a 9.7. Gametrailers mentioned it in their review as well (giving it a 9.6). It seems to be a nasty little interruption to the flow of the game. I don't blame them for the 9.5. I think that's a very good review and I respect IGN for their fairness. 1UP I think probably took off too much... they really seemed to have very little to complain about to take off a full point, but in general I'm happy with their review as well.

As far as if Halo 3 will lose points, I really hope not. I don't think it's fair to judge a console on something it's not capable of in the first place. Yes, the controls in Prime 3 may be better than dual analog, but you shouldn't judge shooters that don't have that available based on that. Similarly, it's not fair to judge Wii games against 360 and PS3 graphics. Although I think it's interesting that every review so far (IGN, 1UP, Gametrailers) has stated that in overall aesthetic the game is in line with everything on the PS3 and 360. I guess since they were comparing the artwork and graphics, rather than just graphics, it was a fair review.

I understand people saying that the Keyboard and Mouse are a better set up for a shooter game but I wonder whether experience plays a large factor in that. When I first started using a mouse it seemed inaccurate and clumsy and in many/most games or programs I continued to use the keyboard, and with first person shooters I always stuck with the direction buttons+mouse set up until I started playing MMORPGs with DAoC in 2001. I could be wrong but I suspect someone who doesn't play PC games much would find the Wiimote to be easier to use than the Keyboard and mouse set-up, and I wonder how different it will feel 2 or 3 years down the road after you've played dozens of quality games on the Wii.

controls is the most important part in fps.
since they all said controls is better than anything before it.
i have no objection of this game getting higher than 9.0 avg.

naznatips said:

I think if it hadn't been for the pointless collection mission at the end it would have been a 9.7. Gametrailers mentioned it in their review as well (giving it a 9.6). It seems to be a nasty little interruption to the flow of the game. I don't blame them for the 9.5. I think that's a very good review and I respect IGN for their fairness. 1UP I think probably took off too much... they really seemed to have very little to complain about to take off a full point, but in general I'm happy with their review as well.

As far as if Halo 3 will lose points, I really hope not. I don't think it's fair to judge a console on something it's not capable of in the first place. Yes, the controls in Prime 3 may be better than dual analog, but you shouldn't judge shooters that don't have that available based on that. Similarly, it's not fair to judge Wii games against 360 and PS3 graphics. Although I think it's interesting that every review so far (IGN, 1UP, Gametrailers) has stated that in overall aesthetic the game is in line with everything on the PS3 and 360. I guess since they were comparing the artwork and graphics, rather than just graphics, it was a fair review.

Well, in their review they said that they didn't noticed the location of the energy cells were in their log or something, so they did spent pointless time searching for the things. Even if it's that long though, Metroid always has backtracking, it the way of Samus. Are you questioning Samus? "Nova beam wipes naz of the face of earth"

The review was a fair one( Ign) and very insightfull. 1up review was actually fairer than i expected (was predicting 87-88%) since their preview was extremely biased and they had issues even with the box cover.

As for Halo 3, it's not a question on graphics. It's about the impressions that stay with you after you play a title. Graphically Halo 3 should blow Corruption apart, there no one questioning that. Yet, if the gameplay aspect  left Ign so impressed (Gametrailers said the same thing about how it blows analog controls away) a form af slight dissapointment. If could be that i'm exxagerating  things and the controls aren't that monumental,  but still, with 2 reviews already saying  that it's the best thing after mouse and keyboard (Ign even compares the turning time to Mouse controls, something i have never witnessed anyone to do in console FPSs.) Being on a different control sceme due to it's existence  on another console might be unfair,  but MP will get compared to Halo nevertheless, whether we want it or not, as proven by all the major review sites.  It's not a question of fanboyism among them,  it's just that  the games have similliarities which pits them against  each other.  It's a natural  thing to compare, in the quest of higher standards. Good graphics are in a lot of titles, flawless gameplay...not so  much.

Still, i thing due to it's grand user base and success, Halo is going to be less criticised on gameplay aspects than Corruption. I just wonder what the negative points will be. But since it's halo, i guess 10's will be used whether it's worth it or not.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

I honestly doubt you'll see much criticism of PS3 and 360 games at all due to MP3's controls. You will certainly hear mention of it a lot from podcasts, reviewers, etc., but I doubt you'll ever really see a reviewer say "Killzone 2 is great, but it doesn't have Wiimote controls." It really just isn't fair to any console to have it's game criticized for a feature that the console will never be capable of. Game reviews are supposed to be individual to consoles. I understand comparing a multiplatform game like Madden, but games that are completely individual to their systems shouldn't be fighting with each other over features. They should be analyzed and reviewed for how well they play and utilize the capabilities of the system they are on, not for what that system can't do. Otherwise all shooters would have their scores lowered for not having mouse and keyboard controls.

Are reviews really going to affect anyones decision to buy or not on a game like this anyway though?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Are reviews really going to affect anyones decision to buy or not on a game like this anyway though?

Well they certainly effect me for this game. If all the reviews had told me exploration had been tossed out in favor of a Halo style shooter this game would have dropped from "must buy" to "maybe rent... maybe."

I really don't like Metroid all that much...never really got into it, but I am thinking of playing FPSs again. I'm extremely happy that this score came out the way it did. I literally had my fingers crossed hoping the IGN score was at least 9.0 and up like the other GC versions. Very good day for Metroid fans everywhere as this game is actually out in the US today!!!!!! Go and get this game y'all!!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

I made a topic to combine the review topics. We don't really need to flood all of the forums for this one game hehe.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6162&start=-0