By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Online Or SP Which Is better?

@ onyx, sorry I mean local multiplayer, and I do agree with what you say, the MP is the main part of those games, though I would be less happy about it with Xbox games as I am only a silver member

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
@ onyx, sorry I mean local multiplayer, and I do agree with what you say, the MP is the main part of those games, though I would be less happy about it with Xbox games as I am only a silver member

Local multiplayer would still be able to be applied where applicable. It's not very big for me outside of fighting games, but I know other people like it. I would consider it useful in those shooters that have dead communities like UT3, especially the bots.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Repetition, no matter how interesting, is tedious. Online gaming is repetition. It's grinding. It's interesting grinding with other humans, granted, but it'll never be as diverse an experience as a good single player campaign. The MMO genre actually conbines SP and MP with great results, but most of us want to overlook that genre, and go right to the lameass FPS multiplayer that is as stale as petrified mammoth shit. What was the lastest innovation in that genre, the online FPS? Besides improved graphics, that is? Nothing. Nothing that counterstrike didn't do better years and years ago.

Online shooters are like the Wii. You decide what I mean by that.

I don't get how online is more tedious and repetitive as single player. If I play the same Team Deathmatch on the same Ship map in COD4 it's always going to provide me with a different experience, because human AI is far more advanced than videogame AI. Playing the sinking ship mission in COD4 over and over I feel would be far more tedious and repetitive, because each experience would basically mirror the last. Enemies pop up at the same time, they generally cover in the same area, they have the same weapons each time. These are all things that would be unpredicatable in multiplayer.

It seems to me the only reason you think MP is more tedious than SP is probably because you're comparing them under the assumption that you spend one 5-6 hour session in SP, making it completely fresh, and 30-60 hours in MP, making it more tedious because more time was spent in it overall. However, give that single player another 5-10 playthroughs and I'm sure that too would feel mighty repetitive, since it'll be the exact same experience over and over.

@Munkeh-I just mean that if I were given a choice as to which I could keep in those games, I would choose the multiplayer. Co-op in most games would technically be considered the single player, unless were talking about Res 2's mode, which would be seperate. I don't mean all games either, but I stick by my examples.

Just to add to that, I played the mission in GEOW where the creature came out of the tunnel and each time the AI reacted different.

I mean every time they reacted different.

reask said:
Onyxmeth said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Repetition, no matter how interesting, is tedious. Online gaming is repetition. It's grinding. It's interesting grinding with other humans, granted, but it'll never be as diverse an experience as a good single player campaign. The MMO genre actually conbines SP and MP with great results, but most of us want to overlook that genre, and go right to the lameass FPS multiplayer that is as stale as petrified mammoth shit. What was the lastest innovation in that genre, the online FPS? Besides improved graphics, that is? Nothing. Nothing that counterstrike didn't do better years and years ago.

Online shooters are like the Wii. You decide what I mean by that.

I don't get how online is more tedious and repetitive as single player. If I play the same Team Deathmatch on the same Ship map in COD4 it's always going to provide me with a different experience, because human AI is far more advanced than videogame AI. Playing the sinking ship mission in COD4 over and over I feel would be far more tedious and repetitive, because each experience would basically mirror the last. Enemies pop up at the same time, they generally cover in the same area, they have the same weapons each time. These are all things that would be unpredicatable in multiplayer.

It seems to me the only reason you think MP is more tedious than SP is probably because you're comparing them under the assumption that you spend one 5-6 hour session in SP, making it completely fresh, and 30-60 hours in MP, making it more tedious because more time was spent in it overall. However, give that single player another 5-10 playthroughs and I'm sure that too would feel mighty repetitive, since it'll be the exact same experience over and over.

@Munkeh-I just mean that if I were given a choice as to which I could keep in those games, I would choose the multiplayer. Co-op in most games would technically be considered the single player, unless were talking about Res 2's mode, which would be seperate. I don't mean all games either, but I stick by my examples.

Just to add to that, I played the mission in GEOW where the creature came out of the tunnel and each time the AI reacted different.

I mean every time they reacted different.

What is GEOW? Gears of War? I'm not familiar with a creature coming out of any tunnel. Can you refresh my memory, because it's been over a year since I've played it.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

GeoW is Gears, GoW is God

Yeah, what tunnel, there were many in the game, I don't really remember anything like this

Around the Network

I tend to complete a campaign before I spend any real time on multiplayer (I may play a couple of games), but I usually end up logging many-times-more hours on multiplayer than singleplayer.

Actually, I perfer single player over online on Mario Kart.
Other games really depend.

SamuelRSmith said:
I tend to complete a campaign before I spend any real time on multiplayer (I may play a couple of games), but I usually end up logging many-times-more hours on multiplayer than singleplayer.

Same here, only with WaW did I start playing online before I finished the campaign, because I thought it would be the same as 4

To me, it depends on the game. I tend to like online better if a game has good online.

Single player that doesn't suffer because of the online

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)