By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Anounces Dead Space Extraction - First trailer included

Expected something like Re4, but we get on-rail shooter, never, liked this genre, kinda disappointing, but if you like on-rails, i guess you gonna have good time.

Around the Network

Ok , I have to be honest, I was really expecting a TPS from this game, specially after watching that video from the old Xbox version. Besides, I do believe that the wii controls are great for TPS.

On the other hand, it seems that they won't just copy/paste other On rail shooters and they will try to do something different (like Sin and Punishment, perhaps?). I do love ORS honestly.

Maybe the dissapointment from many of us is that some companies may think Wii=simplicity and we don't know if that's an insult or otherwise.

But honestly, what the Wii has done with this generation is to get back the Arcade-like gameplay (easy to learn, hard to dominate) from yore and must of the Wii owners (core, expanded and lapsed) are more arcade-driven gamers than the Hardcore-solo gamers from the other consoles.

Also, unlike Umbrella Chronicles, it seems they are using the same production values and AAA teams this time! I think that's good.

Anyway, until I see more about he gameplay, I'll give a better judgment.

i like rail shooters

i think i will not jugde it before i see some in game video...
the trailer is very cool!!

I'm actually looking forward to it somewhat.

*runs out of thread before being beaten to death by angry mob*

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Bobbuffalo said:
KylieDog said:
BengaBenga said:

EDIT:

It is an on rails shooter, there will be no horror.

WAAAT? From a REmake fan like you I would at least expect to acknowledge the effect scripted events can have.

There is no horror to on rail shooters.  There will be no ammo worries because you'll always have at least one gun with infinite ammo, enemies will always attack from the same places the exact same way, there won't be any moments you are low on ammo, low on health, walking slowly through a corridor hearing noises paranoid something might jump out (and quite often nothing actually will), or having to run from something because standing your ground will get you killed.  Being cautious to check all arond you incase something attacks from behind, which will never happen on an on rails game.

Monsters simply jumping out on screen (which is all on rails games achieve) doesn't make for horror, I think Point Blank had some levels like that.

I like light gun games, but the Wii has got a bunch of decent ones already, all of which are based on things of horror.  Don't need another.  At the most the Wii just needs a few based on a different theme, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis or something.

What the Wii does really need though are real horror games and more decent TPS, like the proper Dead Space.

I saw that Xbox vid and thought 'Something like this will be great for Wii'.  After reading what it is actully getting...been there done that.

That's not always true. In Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, there are TONS of moments when you literally jump out of your seat, and with the exception of the handgun, all the other weapons run out of ammo if you don'ty play wise. And many times you had to turn to the right, left, up and down top see where the f**k is that monster is attacking you and you can't see.

Shock moments are not horror.   I don't know what you mean with looking about in UC, you can't.

@_@ Of course they are!! Horror like all kind of entertainment genres, relies in suprise and shock value! Not only on atmosohere!

And if you have played UC you will remember that you use the nunchuk to loo up, down, left and right. You don't use it always but most of times is necessary.

I was wrong about IGN, they're defending it.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954982p1.html

I still expect some smart remarks in the podcast though..

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

On rails? They better bring out the original Dead space on xbox for the Wii :(.

Demotruk said:
I was wrong about IGN, they're defending it.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954982p1.html

I still expect some smart remarks in the podcast though..

interesting. I thougth this quote was good too.

The bottom line is this. Obviously I would have wanted to see a full-fledged Dead Space "RE" experience on Wii, as it's one that could really prove that the hardest of the hardcore games still work on Nintendo's system. EA took a safer route in going with an on-rails game, although anyone that has the viewpoint of "Extraction = cop-out" should take a good long look at the trailer again. This is, if the original teaser footage is to be trusted, a very visceral, mature, bloody experience, and one I can't wait to play.

I'm also a self-proclaimed light gun nut, so while I'm sure some people out there just aren't interested, I personally I'm very, very down for the game we're getting. I own a 360 and PS3, I've played Dead Space on those systems, and I'll play the sequel that's sure to be announced sometime later this year. But I also dug the graphic novels, and love the "Dead Space world" as well, so anything that adds to the game's lore – be it a full-on comic series, direct sequel, or in the case of Wii, "other design" take on the world – I'm down. We all knew "Dead Space 2" would be on 360, PS3, and PC. If EA is going to take the franchise in a different direction on Wii, I'm glad we got something as unique as Extraction, and not a watered down port or drab, unconvincing "me too" game. Could a full-on Dead Space third-person game be done on Wii? Hell yes it could, and it could rock. Going in a different direction doesn't instantly negate a game though. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that loved Umbrella Chronicles, and that alone should be proof that the design works, albeit entirely different from the core Resident Evil design.

This isn't a "Buy Dead Space Wii" campaign or "Why You Should be Hyped" call to arms. I'd just hope any self-respecting hardcore gamer would wait until they see or play it to reserve judgment. Let's put down the torches and rope for just a few minutes, and give this one a chance.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

On rails is the definition of horror becuase it's all scripted. People don't think the new RE's were scary because there is no scripted "scares" per se. But people think FEAR 2 is scary because of the scripted things. Really only game that ever freaked me out without scripted stuff was Eternal Darkness but that game is the definition of creepy.

On rails shooters can really make it creepy if done correctly. People don't see it that way because they aren't controlling the movements but with correct scripting it can be fucking scary. All about the atmosphere and timing and that is what on rails shooters are about.

Personally I would have rathered a TPS with RE4 Wii controls but on rails shooter is the next best thing. I'll wait for E3 to see what they've got.