By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here has had a girlfriend?

I had so many missed opportunities in my life. There were times that girls had crushes on me and I'd say or do something that made them hate me. Other times, I chased after girls I liked and it was just a way to waste my time and make me feel awkward when I was around them. In my high school years, my heart would start racing when I was around or was anticipating being around girls I liked. Not fun, since the presence of someone I liked made me feel like I had just ran a mile.

Eventually I found a girl I loved, and I still love her. My advice for you is pretty cliche, but it's definitely true. Get out there. Join a school club or an out of school volunteer group. Be social and hope to Jebus a girl falls for you. Some people would tell you to ask a girl out, but if you're shy, your proposal wouldn't be very effective anyways.

Other methods:

1. Just be nice. Talk to her. Remember her birthdays, bring her candy (even if you're not friends).

2. Befriend her friends. If you know her friends, it's much easier to befriend the girl you like (and then it goes on from there).

3. Break the barrier between school/club and hanging out. Ask her to do something with you (movie/social activity works best). Even if she says no, she'll appreciate that you asked.

Around the Network

Just observing........

I have.

yep.

Not currently. Doesn't bother me at all.

Around the Network
Batman...WTF? said:

Not me. Anyone else here been eternally single.

you are a douche for that link in your sig. you are like twesterm before he became a mod...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I had one.
Now she's my wife.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

I wasted my whole middle school, high school, and about first 1/3 of college being shy. It sucks, so many missed opportunities (well, not as many as I would have liked).

Don't be afraid to talk to them or ask them out, the worst that can happen is they say and in that case, fuck 'em, who cares.

Just for fun-- embarrassing story!

My sophomore year of college there was this one girl friend of mine (not girlfriend, friend who happened to be a girl) was trying to get me to come out of my shell and ask this one girl I liked out. I had had girlfriends before but still all around shy and the thought of asking a girl out terrified me.

Anyways, she was giving me tips on what girls liked and one of them was girls like it when you run your fingers through their hair and rub their head. So she told me that and I was at a party the next night and she was there sitting on a couch talking to some one.

I walk up behind her, stand awkwardly a moment not knowing what to say, and then finally I move my hand up and start rubbing her head. She stops talking to her friend, they both turn around and look at me and give me the oddest look ever.

Luckily I was at a party and just happened to be hammered so I could just pass it up as I'm a big dumb drunken animal but, yeah, awkward.

And now for the embarrassing part-- I actually asked her out later by email. God I'm a loser.

twesterm said:

And now for the embarrassing part-- I actually asked her out later by email. God I'm a loser.

Oh man! laugh my ass off man! That's awesome!

What did your friend say?

twesterm said:
I wasted my whole middle school, high school, and about first 1/3 of college being shy. It sucks, so many missed opportunities (well, not as many as I would have liked).

Don't be afraid to talk to them or ask them out, the worst that can happen is they say and in that case, fuck 'em, who cares.

Just for fun-- embarrassing story!

My sophomore year of college there was this one girl friend of mine (not girlfriend, friend who happened to be a girl) was trying to get me to come out of my shell and ask this one girl I liked out. I had had girlfriends before but still all around shy and the thought of asking a girl out terrified me.

Anyways, she was giving me tips on what girls liked and one of them was girls like it when you run your fingers through their hair and rub their head. So she told me that and I was at a party the next night and she was there sitting on a couch talking to some one.

I walk up behind her, stand awkwardly a moment not knowing what to say, and then finally I move my hand up and start rubbing her head. She stops talking to her friend, they both turn around and look at me and give me the oddest look ever.

Luckily I was at a party and just happened to be hammered so I could just pass it up as I'm a big dumb drunken animal but, yeah, awkward.

very good advice.

I'll tell ya, the biggest assett a guy has in seeking women is Confidence.  Women want to see it.  When I met my wife, it was an unexpected thing, so I didn't get all shy or nervous like I normally would, and badda bing badda boom man, the rest is history.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself