By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The January 2009 NPD Thread (Data @ 6:30 PM EST)

Behold the impact of the recession on the Wii!

Around the Network

Wow those pictures are glorious.

It's just that simple.

What the hell?

Almost 700K Wii's sold in January? Bloody January?

What a massive success. Ninty got smacked around the last decade and a half, but what a comeback.

edit: wiifit biggest seller of the month. There are no words.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

How long does it usually take the company PRs to release their opinions?

HappySqurriel said:
Behold the impact of the recession on the Wii!

Ha ha it´s incredible, and to think that Ninty were thought of as nonexisting last generation. The story of Nintendo with Wii/DS is like the comeback of all time. It´s really amazing what they have achieved this generation. Sony, once thought of as unbeatable are getting their ass kicked, hard.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Hyruken said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@hyruken

LOL

360 was overtracked by much more than Ps3 this month in the US

I wasen't really following the 360 numbers but i would hazard a guess the drop is still within the same 25% to 30% week to week decrease we had been seeing with the other formats. The PS3 was falling at just supposedly 6% which i said had to be wrong which is now proven that my theory was correct. Year over year the PS3 is down almost 25% not the 6% VGC we're saying. 360 is still way up and the Wii and DS are on a different planet, a Nintendo planet, formaly known as earth :)

while yourover-exaggerating the Ps3 doom & gloom n saying PS fanboys will be sad.

I willt ell you I am happy with the PS3 sales considering the recession

but TBH its the PSP that is the one showing bad/horrible hardware sales + we know it doesn't do any software anyway

your picking on the wrong playstation system if you want to say SONY is doing awful.

Hey i'm not picking on any of the playstation formats, i actually didn't say anything bad about any of them. Was just pointing out that all the other formats we're following pretty much the same pattern as each other but the PS3 seemed to be following a different drop % pattern.

Sony right now is the only one of the three who's growth has gone backwards. It needs to increase sales by 25% just to get back on par with sales this time last year. That is not a good sign for it's 2009 year.

But i love my PS3 and numbers won't change that. If only i could get my fecking music files to stream from my pc to my ps3 i would be over the moon :)

Soriku said:

WTF? Whoever made this, I salute you

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY ARSE OFF...holy cow...that's funny!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Aww.. DMJ =

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14753294&postcount=118

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Hyruken said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Hyruken said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@hyruken

LOL

360 was overtracked by much more than Ps3 this month in the US

I wasen't really following the 360 numbers but i would hazard a guess the drop is still within the same 25% to 30% week to week decrease we had been seeing with the other formats. The PS3 was falling at just supposedly 6% which i said had to be wrong which is now proven that my theory was correct. Year over year the PS3 is down almost 25% not the 6% VGC we're saying. 360 is still way up and the Wii and DS are on a different planet, a Nintendo planet, formaly known as earth :)

while yourover-exaggerating the Ps3 doom & gloom n saying PS fanboys will be sad.

I willt ell you I am happy with the PS3 sales considering the recession

but TBH its the PSP that is the one showing bad/horrible hardware sales + we know it doesn't do any software anyway

your picking on the wrong playstation system if you want to say SONY is doing awful.

Hey i'm not picking on any of the playstation formats, i actually didn't say anything bad about any of them. Was just pointing out that all the other formats we're following pretty much the same pattern as each other but the PS3 seemed to be following a different drop % pattern.

Sony right now is the only one of the three who's growth has gone backwards. It needs to increase sales by 25% just to get back on par with sales this time last year. That is not a good sign for it's 2009 year.

But i love my PS3 and numbers won't change that. If only i could get my fecking music files to stream from my pc to my ps3 i would be over the moon :)

What I mean to say is due to the recession and PS3 being very costly it is EXCUSABLe I feel for the PS3 to have a growth go backwards

however for the PSP this is inexcusable when the DS isn''t going backwards and neither of then had a price cut.

for the wii supply was the problem last year....wii's demand is so huge I feel even if nintend gave 1.5 million + supply wii owuld still be sold out.

now comes MS....for me the 360's YOY 34% growth just isn't impressive considering it is now the cheapest nex-gen console & has reached that mass market price....but still a growth is a positive sign in this time.

my point was PS3 has a backwards growth but I feel we can excuse it due to the economic climate.....howevere PSP cannot be excused for its backwards growth

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The unfortunate side-effect of these results is what is going to happen on the forums for the next couple of weeks ... "Wii Hate Week" and "PS3 Doom Week" are my least favourite weeks on this site.