By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega preparing to create a new console?

Yea, and what makes you think their next console would be any different? They used to make great games, I agree, but times have changed. They aren't nearly as talented as they used to be, and the new generation coming up won't even recognize those Genesis/Dreamcast games.

"You have written off lots of Segas games despite many of them not even getting a Next gen makeover."

Maybe a couple, but most are either irrelvant now, or failed. I mean, we saw how the new Golden Axe worked out didn't we? That once great franchise is basically worthless now. It also showed that these older games can't ride off their name. They have to be top quality to get top quality sales, and Sega just isn't capable of that task.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Yea, and what makes you think their next console would be any different? They used to make great games, I agree, but times have changed. They aren't nearly as talented as they used to be, and the new generation coming up won't even recognize those Genesis/Dreamcast games.

"You have written off lots of Segas games despite many of them not even getting a Next gen makeover."

Maybe a couple, but most are either irrelvant now, or failed. I mean, we saw how the new Golden Axe worked out didn't we? That once great franchise is basically worthless now. It also showed that these older games can't ride off their name. They have to be top quality to get top quality sales, and Sega just isn't capable of that task.

Irrelivent? If you say so.

You have your opinion on Segas games and i have mine.

Why did segas consoles fail? Due to lack of exposure and advertising due to Sega not having money to throw away like sony.

With a good sum of money and exposure segas games  and consoles could have got the recognition they deserved.

Why not ? A wii-like system is nothing exceptional to produce..

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Unlikely but if Sega did return to the console business, unless it looked really awful, I would definately go back to buying Sega.

But the article is correct in saying Sega has gone downhill as a software only company. It's like they've lost a sense of purpose and I havn't purchased a single Sega game since the Dreamcast days (I think).

That would be just a financial suicide.
And it won't be painless.
But it would bring so many changes. :)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

Around the Network

why would they..?...its not that company's want to be bankrupt..

Sega well if they did a console i think it could easilly go toe to toe with ninty because sega has the casual appeal which ninty has. Plus the hardcore franchises

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

1. If they were to enter the market they need a better name then ringedge/ringwide. Soulds almost as bad as Wii (athough the name wii worked).

2. Sega doesn't have enough first party games. Seriously the top 2 games they've made this gen (thanks to metacritic) are Virtua Fighter 5 and Valkyrie Chronicles. Then the #3 game is Sega Rally Revo which got a 77 metascore. Sonic is almost completely washed up.

3. Unless its really cheap $199 or less at launch I don't see it doing anything miraculous sales-wise. The Wii had 2 things going for it - Price, and the brand name Nintendo. Nobody cares about the brand Sega anymore except hardcore fans, so they need a low price point.

coolestguyever said:
1. If they were to enter the market they need a better name then ringedge/ringwide. Soulds almost as bad as Wii (athough the name wii worked).

2. Sega doesn't have enough first party games. Seriously the top 2 games they've made this gen (thanks to metacritic) are Virtua Fighter 5 and Valkyrie Chronicles. Then the #3 game is Sega Rally Revo which got a 77 metascore. Sonic is almost completely washed up.

3. Unless its really cheap $199 or less at launch I don't see it doing anything miraculous sales-wise. The Wii had 2 things going for it - Price, and the brand name Nintendo. Nobody cares about the brand Sega anymore except hardcore fans, so they need a low price point.

3 games that spring to mind that scored 80 or above are condemned 1 & 2

Plus Virtua tennis 3

1) If Sega is ever going to come back into making systems, they should start with a handheld. Another person said that there is already 3 home consoles and I personally think the market is packed as it is for another home console. There is only two handhelds on the market: the PSP and the Nintendo DS. Since Microsoft wont step into the handheld market, Sega should consider taking the third spot.

Would you buy the new Sega console? It matters if they are supported by companies like Square-enix, capcom, etc. 

Do you think Sega has enough first party I.P.'s to make a successful first party library? If Sega comes out with a handheld, I would say yes. A couple sonic team titles would do well for a handheld. For a home console.. I would say no.