By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - European Blu-Ray movie sales increase five-fold in 2008

Blu-ray is now 'a mainstream format.' So says the cross-industry trade body DEGE (Digital Entertainment Group Europe). The group, which is funded by key Hollywood studios, says sales of Blu-ray software (not including PS3 games titles) have jumped five-fold in Europe, from 1.7 million units in 2007 to almost 8.5 million in 2008.
Dedicated deck sales in the UK also enjoyed a seasonal lift, with almost 100,000 players sold in December alone. 

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/blogs/team_hcc/blu-ray+player+sales+jump+fivefold

Around the Network

Shouldn't this be in Off-Topics since it's not about gaming?

Anyway, DVD is still king.  Bluray is still the upstart prince trying to assassinate him.  VHS is busily living in a van down by the river.

Good news for Blu-ray and for Sony! I know that i contribute to the sales of movies as i stopped buying movies on DVD and switched exclusively to Blu-ray (unless not available)

Words Of Wisdom said:
Shouldn't this be in Off-Topics since it's not about gaming?

I really don't know since this must be the first BR article I've posted. Do you mind?

But...blu-ray isnt allowed to be popular!

j/k, good job sony

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

Wow, good job Blu-ray group. It nice to see its doing well everywhere

How dare you post positive news about Blu Ray!

Its funny watching all the haters fail.

My friends dad just recently bought a Blu-ray player.

He has a very limited knowledge of technology, but has a HDTV.

I know it's very much anecdotal evidence, but when consumers like him start picking up blu-ray players, it's got to a stage where it's starting to reach an audience quite a bit larger then just the tech freaks.

We Europeans are smart ;)

Bla bla blu ray is doomed ... bla bla blu ray will die soon ...

It's pretty obvious that blu ray will become the main standard in a few years, when will people understand that?

Well done sony!