By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Variety: Sony fanboys starting to resemble Rush Limbaugh

Non Sequor said:
I think this phenomenon is the cause of one of the biggest problems in games journalism today.

Reviewers generally don't adequately distinguish between games that are the best thing that's out right now and games that a substantial number of people will come back and play again in 20 years.

Any time a reviewer criticizes the latest sacred cow they face an enormous community backlash. The result has been that all of the larger review outlets tend to rate highly hyped games on a scale of 8 to 10.

The frothing fanbase of the sacred cow sees the outcome of this and views the reviewers who play ball as being the most trustworthy. Consider the fact that lots of people claim IGN is a highly credible source because it rated their favorite games highly while completely ignoring that it rates a ton of games that are not their favorites just as highly.

People are unwilling to listen to people who actually give an honest opinion when there are other people tell them what they want to hear.

THIS.

It's also I think why I dislike sites like Metacritic & Gamerankings cause sometimes I get the impression that some reviewers are watching what the average is instead of giving their straight up accessment...

sidenote: I LOL'd outloud when Blazinghead use the Sarcasm Shield of Denial...Well played, my friend well played.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network

lol at people posting in this thread

Its true. Any review that doesnt bum the shit out of killzone 2 gets ripped

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Max King of the Wild said:
lol at people posting in this thread

?

... you're "lol"ing youself ...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

senortaco said:
Non Sequor said:
I think this phenomenon is the cause of one of the biggest problems in games journalism today.

Reviewers generally don't adequately distinguish between games that are the best thing that's out right now and games that a substantial number of people will come back and play again in 20 years.

Any time a reviewer criticizes the latest sacred cow they face an enormous community backlash. The result has been that all of the larger review outlets tend to rate highly hyped games on a scale of 8 to 10.

The frothing fanbase of the sacred cow sees the outcome of this and views the reviewers who play ball as being the most trustworthy. Consider the fact that lots of people claim IGN is a highly credible source because it rated their favorite games highly while completely ignoring that it rates a ton of games that are not their favorites just as highly.

People are unwilling to listen to people who actually give an honest opinion when there are other people tell them what they want to hear.

THIS.

It's also I think why I dislike sites like Metacritic & Gamerankings cause sometimes I get the impression that some reviewers are watching what the average is instead of giving their straight up accessment...

sidenote: I LOL'd outloud when Blazinghead use the Sarcasm Shield of Denial...Well played, my friend well played.

You weren't the only one. I LOL'd after reading the OP then reading Blazinghead's response. The "sarcasm defense" was the icing on the cake.

Around the Network

Wait, what? Well im glad people can get a laugh outta my stupidity, What can I say , I didn't read the OP.

KatinJin said:

Obviously I'm not saying Rush Limbaugh is orchestrating the "Killzone 2" backlash backlash, or that there's really any crossover between Sony fanboys and Republicans (except perhaps the fact that they've both been supporting losing causes for the past few years ).

How is Sony fanboys supporting a losing cause?  The PS3 sold faster to 20 million than the 360, and at a higher price.  It was out a year later, I don't get how people still think that the PS3 is in bad shape, its in great shape!

Oh and Obama isn't the "light" as someone called him

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

Pharaoh said:
KatinJin said:

Obviously I'm not saying Rush Limbaugh is orchestrating the "Killzone 2" backlash backlash, or that there's really any crossover between Sony fanboys and Republicans (except perhaps the fact that they've both been supporting losing causes for the past few years ).

How is Sony fanboys supporting a losing cause?  The PS3 sold faster to 20 million than the 360, and at a higher price.  It was out a year later, I don't get how people still think that the PS3 is in bad shape, its in great shape!

Oh and Obama isn't the "light" as someone called him

you know getting to 20 million first means nothing when the 360 has gained significantly on the PS3 over the last few months.

The PS3 isn't doing bad right now but it certainly isn't doing great.

seece - its doing great

Do people remember what was posted before and after the RFOM 2 scores came in? I remember several comparison threads to GoW 2 saying:

"But it has 60 player online vs 10!"

"8 player Co-Op campaign!!"

etc.

Somehow it was the critics that 'cheated' the game, and now not a single fuss is made about it because the sales of the game are merely good so theres not really a single leg to stand on to bring that game back up to outstanding post mortem.

Now with KZ2 we have people expecting it to outsell the COD IV as a matter of course. If it outsells it there will be cheering and back slapping and if it doesn't, there will be a lot of "I didn't say that!" going on.

Tease.