By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP JRPG Recommandation

First of all:

I am a complete JRPG noob, in fact, I've never played any of them (except for the Valkyria Chronicles demo). I've always watched my friends play final fantasy and all those shiny JRPG but they have never appealed to me. I've had a lot of fun with Fallout 3 and Oblivion though.

However, ever since I got my PSP, people have been telling me to get JRPGs, since there are plenty of them on it. Considering how my PSP doesn't get too much playtime these days (I've actually only managed to finish Chains of Olympus and Ratchet and Clank, got bored with Killzone liberation(still playing online though), Patapon, Portable Ops and Daxter).

My question is: Which one would you recommand me ? I thought about the Final Fantasy remakes (they were pretty cheap, like 2x for 30 bucks), Star Ocean, Jeanne D'arc or Disgea (spelling?). I will obviously only get one first before I can make a judgement on the genre.

Thanks in advance.

Around the Network

VC is more like a SRPG than a JRPG if you want SRPGS for the psp, Final Fantasy Tactics is where you need to start followed by Jeanne D'Arc

Traditional RPGS, this one is a little dodgy as I personally would recommend a DS over a psp however there are some on the psp worthy of note (though I personally wouldn't recommend it) Star Ocean 1 (can't remember the correct title.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Jeanne D'Arc is great SRPG. Doesnt really count as a JRPG.

I recommend Tales of Radiant Mythology I wasnt able to play it all but from what I did it was pretty damn good.

I dunno why but I think if you liked fallout3 you might like Crisis Core O.o (don't ask me to explain it)

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Disgaea is great, but is SRPG or tactical RPG (as is final fantasy tactics, also good i think)
I'd recomend Star Ocean or Crisis Core, though this last one is an action RPG, haven't played Jeanne d'Arc let me know how it is if you do.

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.

Around the Network

Thanks for tips guys, I forgot about Crysis Core I will definitely be checking this one too.

As for Tales of Radiant Mythology, I've never even heard the name :o

Brave Story: New Traveler

By far the best traditional JRPG on PSP.

Personally Disgaea, Crisis Core, and Final Fantasy Tactics. For something a little more traditional the Star Ocean games are great.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I would get Final Fanatasy II. It's a pretty good game and it cheap. So no big deal if you end up not liking it.

BxN said:
Thanks for tips guys, I forgot about Crysis Core I will definitely be checking this one too.

As for Tales of Radiant Mythology, I've never even heard the name :o

Tales of Radiant Mythology would be a horrible way to kick start your entry to the genre, one mindless task after another through incredibly boring dungeons. If you are to start with a tales game, try to find some way to play Tales of Eternia, it's much better (I still didn't enjoy it though). I think Maxwell pretty much covered your best options, although I would add J'eanne D'Arc to that list.

SRPG's, which I prefer, may be a bit more difficult to digest at first. If you were to start there, however, I'd recommend Disgaea as it's comical dialog is really engaging and adds incentive to learn to play the genre.