By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day and week Prediction for Street Fighter IV

Street Fighter II was huge BUT that was over 15 years ago and I think people have moved on. Fighting games in general are not as popular as they used to be and I think SF2's numbers will be irrelevant to SFIV's.

Around the Network

SF4 will not nothing special on consoles in Japan, reason being that the superior version has been available for months back there.............yes I am talking abour arcades. I had my 3 week fix :O when I went back to visit my family in Tokyo so have absolutely no interest in the console versions and paying £100 for arcade sticks. :/

I might be off guessing 750k, but you guys are way off in predicting the popularity of the franchise. Some of you aren't even guessing 100k combined..I think that's insane.

I personally know about 20 people who are buying the game day 1. And I wish I was exaggerating. There isn't a single other game that's ever come out for either PS3 or 360 that I've known as many people to be buying on day one.

And I live in NA, and while I like the game, I'm not quite 'hardcore' into it..Japan is on Street Fighter like white on rice. At MINIMUM 300k first week..that's the absolute minimum, imo.

RPG said:
SO4 will not nothing special on consoles in Japan, reason being that the superior version has been available for months back there.............yes I am talking abour arcades. I had my 3 week fix :O when I went back to visit my family in Tokyo so have absolutely no interest in the console versions and paying £100 for arcade sticks. :/

Don't you mean SF4?

Noobie said:

Btw why neither Sony or MS has launched SFIV bundle.. don't u think its a bit stupid when WKC like games got bundled. (not trying to undermine WKC by any means.. just it is a new IP and SFIV is an trusted IP, so should have been given a bit of importance)

Could it be because Capcom doesn't want to?  It would be nice to have a bundle I think, it would definately help.  I expect this game, just because of the Japan install base, to do better on the PS3, and seeing how Capcom did a bundle with RE5 and 360, I was really thinking they'd do a PS3 bundle with this one, but I suppose not.

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:
Noobie said:

Btw why neither Sony or MS has launched SFIV bundle.. don't u think its a bit stupid when WKC like games got bundled. (not trying to undermine WKC by any means.. just it is a new IP and SFIV is an trusted IP, so should have been given a bit of importance)

Could it be because Capcom doesn't want to?  It would be nice to have a bundle I think, it would definately help.  I expect this game, just because of the Japan install base, to do better on the PS3, and seeing how Capcom did a bundle with RE5 and 360, I was really thinking they'd do a PS3 bundle with this one, but I suppose not.

Capcom has RE5 and PS3 bundle also... maybe the console manufacturers are tired of bundles and there are so many bundles coming out, it is not helping there inventory at all and maybe not useful either. anyway just a wild guess

Could very well be..games like Street Fighter with cult followings really should be bundled..I think this game would probably move more consoles than, say, an LBP, at least in Japan. If for nothing else than it's history.

there isn't a need to bundle SFIV. it's multi-platform and it isn't a game that is likely to move that many consoles. WKC was exclusive and one of the only JRPG's out for sony - there was plenty incentive to bundle that game with a system (especially the PS3 in Japan).

the market is completely different now then it was when SFII came out. arcades still were huge and everyone - EVERYONE - was playing it. sad as it is, SFIV won't sell nearly as many copies.

I hope it does 300k first week.

off-topic: my fightstick tournament edition joystick came today... i'm happy.

Maybe capcom doesn't want to canibalize with sales of RE5 bundle so no bundles for SFIV.

And well PS3 already has Yakuza and RE5 while MS have SO4 and RE5 bundles for japan in next few weeks.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

... and anyway this time arcade is NOT the superior version like it was the case for VF5 for example. There is a lot of new stuffs, character and adds in the home versions. This is still a big franchise and a popular game.

So I'm thinking 200K for PS3 version first week and 35K for X360 version.