By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Normal, inverted, or amidextrous camera orientation?

Normal: Let's say you're playing any first-person shooter. There's some part of your setup that will contol the camera, whether it be a mouse, joystick, or thumbstick. If you push it away from you and in the game your character looks up, you use the normal style. This is probably the more commonly used method as most games ship with it as the default setting.

Inverted: You're playing the same FPS. If you push the mouse away from you and in game your character looks down, you use the inverted style. This is the more realistic method, just like airplanes use. You'd expect this to be more popular because of it, but if you play any modern FPS you most likely have to go to the options menu to use this way.

Amidextrous: I'm an amidextrous, but this will need some explaining since I'm pretty sure most people aren't in the same situation:

I played my Nintendo 64 lots as a kid, and the camera was usually controlled with the thumbstick (I mean when looking around such as in Zelda or Banjo-Kazooie, or in FPS games when aiming). The way most people held the controller (including me) left them with the thumbstick under control of the left hand. As it happens, most games used the inverted orientation as their default settings, so I got used to it.

However, then the Xbox comes along with two thumbsticks. Pretty much every game used the the right one to control the camera. Now unless you hold it upside-down when playing, you'll be using your right hand for the right thumbstick (as was I). Most games just so happened to use the normal orientation as their default settings, and I got used to it.

So that leaves me inverted with my left hand and normal with my right one. But what about you?

Around the Network

I use normal. I find inverted impossible. It's completely illogical. If I move the stick up, the crosshair should move up!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

i use a mouse.  Ive never even heard of anyone who uses a mouse using inverted, that would just be wierd...

nah, but whenever i play dual analog FPS is use normal. that isnt actually very often though. its so hard to be good at console shooters when youre used to PC

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

I use inverted for right thumbstick on dual-analog controllers.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

I actually invert both axis if it's possible. So if I push the left thumbstick left, the view should go the the right. I think it's something to do with realism too, it's how I would shift the weight of my body irl.

Around the Network

Inverted. I can't play normal style. No matter what the game, I end up staring at the ceiling or floor while getting shot at the whole time.

Inverted is like a joystick. It's perfect.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

It's not a double post, it's a Hedge Hog post.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

i can do anything i just need to take a few mintues--what i cant stand is when a game forces you to switch b/t

i generally have it normal...but i use both...depends on the game...some games just feel like they should be played a certain way.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I prefer using the inverted control for analog camera viewing.