By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Question on owning a particular console

I have had this problem for the longest time on this site//several people can come into a Nintendo thread for example and say something about a particular game on that console and say its really not that good of a game. And a user might suggest "well do you own a Wii? why would you even say that?"

Well if I was that particular individual I would say "Yes I own a Wii"/and he/she would be like "you don't own a Wii/where is your Friend Code"//like for real/why do I have to prove that I own a Wii just because I said a comment about a particular game about the Wii you get defensive and suggest I don't own one.

I just find it fustrated that no one believes someone that does in fact own that console. Like for example do I have to present my PSN ID or Xbox Live Gamertag or take pictures to prove I own the console.

It happened to me recently when I came into a thread and said something about the PS3 always requiring game installations. Some user attacked me and said "I know nothing cause not all PS3 games require that". So I was like well dude I didn't know I just hear alot of news around here that every PS3 is like requiring installation on the HDD. So he then says well I never understood how people put pointless PSN ID in there sigs and think they can say anything they want//im like "LOL". Dude I own a PS3!!!!!! My PSN ID is "xlost7". I'm not talking bad on the console I'm just stating my opinion for that manner. So I ended up posting pics of my console to prove I own it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

What I trying to say should someone that owns that console for real, stress to the individual that is attacking and saying he doesnt own it, that he does in fact owns one? (by proving pics and such).

Around the Network

tl;dr

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Because people are fond of hating stuff they know nothing about.

like Nas said in "hate me now", "guess it's just the fury of man" lol

If you present your opinion on something, you need to have credibility for people to take you seriously.

You won't hear me saying much about the xbox 360 for example because I don't have enough experience with it to make any blanket statements. With the wii and ps3 especially, that's a different story. Just my $0.02.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Well, do you know a Wii?

xlost7 said:

It happened to me recently when I came into a thread and said something about the PS3 always requiring game installations. Some user attacked me and said "I know nothing cause not all PS3 games require that". So I was like well dude I didn't know I just hear alot of news around here that every PS3 is like requiring installation on the HDD.

Not every game requires installation. Actually is a pretty small percentage. The good companies (Insomniac, Geurilla, Naughty Dog) are able to make good games without installs.

I don't know why games like Devil May Cry require a 5 gig install.

On Topic - Its reasonable to want proof that you own a console. I tend to bash Wii games based on videos I've seen of them, even though I don't own the console or the game.

Around the Network

Because the majority of people trolling these games are people who have never played them and often don't own the console they are on. The PSN ID is just a way to prove you own the console.

Oh, and how can you own a PS3 and say all PS3 games have installations? Killzone 2 doesn't have an install!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Really, why are you surprised?

A significant proportion of the people on this site (and others) have an agenda; typically, it is based around justifying their buying decisions or personal tastes to the detriment of others. Now, from this significant proportion there is a significant proportion that post any old nonsense to support their perspective, no matter the truth, no matter how much they know of the subject. Some of these poeple spout blatant lies and are often banned; others are more subtle.

Now, for any with experience, they know there are all sorts of people trolling topics with their bias, writing any old rubbish as long as it supports their platform (or platforms) of choice. For some, this is annoying, and they call such people out to point out why their opinions are not based on anything bar fanboy flag-waving.

So, when you make a blanket claim 'about the PS3 always requiring game installations' you must expect a reaction, primarily because your statement is wrong. In fact, it is so wrong that it makes it easy to believe that you don't have a PS3, especially as you sport a 360 gamertag in your signature with no PS3 equivalent. Now, for the people who have caught out liars before, such a false statement rings warning bells, and understandably so.

Really, the problem is less that people are calling you out, and more that you're making clearly false statements which, if based on experience, suggest you have a very limited game library. Nothing wrong with that, but you must understand why people are wary, surely?

Edit: Somewhat amusingly, the only PS3 game in your game collection -- Uncharted -- doesn't require an installation. Insert amusing comment of choice.

Hapimeses said:

Really, why are you surprised?

A significant proportion of the people on this site (and others) have an agenda; typically, it is based around justifying their buying decisions or personal tastes to the detriment of others. Now, from this significant proportion there is a significant proportion that post any old nonsense to support their perspective, no matter the truth, no matter how much they know of the subject. Some of these poeple spout blatant lies and are often banned; others are more subtle.

Now, for any with experience, they know there are all sorts of people trolling topics with their bias, writing any old rubbish as long as it supports their platform (or platforms) of choice. For some, this is annoying, and they call such people out to point out why their opinions are not based on anything bar fanboy flag-waving.

So, when you make a blanket claim 'about the PS3 always requiring game installations' you must expect a reaction, primarily because your statement is wrong. In fact, it is so wrong that it makes it easy to believe that you don't have a PS3, especially as you sport a 360 gamertag in your signature with no PS3 equivalent. Now, for the people who have caught out liars before, such a false statement rings warning bells, and understandably so.

Really, the problem is less that people are calling you out, and more that you're making clearly false statements which, if based on experience, suggest you have a very limited game library. Nothing wrong with that, but you must understand why people are wary, surely?

Edit: Somewhat amusingly, the only PS3 game in your game collection -- Uncharted -- doesn't require an installation. Insert amusing comment of choice.

There is a reason I prefer the gamertag in my sig rather than the PS3//simple reason is the PS3 trophy thing by playfire doesn't automatically update your trophy thing unlike how the 360 counterpart updates your score and tells you what game your playing and such.

I back up my opinions. Like I said before, with all this talk with threads saying "this xxxxxxx specific PS3 game is going to require installation". I just assumed every PS3 game will require it to be on the HDD. I have however played GT5: Prologue, Warhawk, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4. ALl those games I have borrowed expect Uncharted. Uncharted was placed on the HDD probably at a measly 200MB I think. I don't know I need to check//but I assumed games needed to get required on the HDD.

Now onto the owning portion. I do own all three consoles this generation (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii). Check my profile I have photos and such.

The main problem in with this specific case, is that you have said that you assumed that it was the general rule.

So if you make an assumption based on some threads, then other people will also start assuming that you don't own a PS3 because of the erroneous assumption you made.

In this case you backed it up with assumptions, which do not provide a basis to work on, therefore you were questioned (I'm not going to say the "attacker" did it the right way).

If you had done your "research" a bit more, then you would've had more facts and less assumptions and you probably wouldn't have made the statement, nullifying any possible "attack" towards you.

@papflesje

I will admit I was wrong//i'm sorry for the assumption but its just flat annoying//i'm no troll or anything//I just made a fact that was otherwise not that correct.