By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Halo 3 give the worldwide lead back to Xbox 360

While I don't think Halo 3 will put the 360 back on top for lifetime to date numbers, Nintendo's limited supply may make it a close race through the end of the year.

As for the week Halo 3 launches, unless Nintendo finds some extra Wiis lying around the 360 will be the top selling home console that week in the US and just maybe worldwide. (No, it won't beat the DS.)

(P.S. The Wii remains supply constrained in most places. New games don't help sell more Wii consoles. More Wii consoles help sell more Wii consoles.)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

Imma vote no, but if Wii doesn't have extra supply for the holidays, 360 will pass the Wii again in december.

You could drop the price to 300$, bundle it with Halo and Madden, and it still won't out-sale the Wii in the US alone. Hell no it's not gonna take the lead back.

I think it will... but only if they have another price cut the week before halo 3 comes out. If they did that, the xbox 360 would probably regain the lead... only to lose it again once the holiday season really starts. But it would help cement xbox 360 being the dominant force over he ps3... right now it is still up in the air which will dominate the HD scene

Frankly I am going to go out on a limb and say that not only will the 360 not pass the Wii again, not only will it not outsell the Wii WW Halo release week, I am predicting it won't even outsell the Wii in NA that week. Yes thats right.

A little outlandish maybe but I look at this week with Madden being released and pushing almost 1,000,000 units first week, and the first full week of the price drop and it still didn't get past 60,000 units. That isn't even the 61,000 units it moved at the end of April with the Elite going on sale.

Is there that many FPS people who

1. Have $400 (excuse me $279 core + $29 memory card + $60 Halo = $368)

2. Didn't get pulled in by the great game/marketing machine Gears of War

3. Not a madden fan

4. Didn't hear about Bioshock

5. Have to have Halo right away

6. Aren't willing to wait for a real price drop

7. Don't plan on getting it for their computer lateR

My prediction 85,000 units in release week NA, with a 20%boost in Europe a nominal couple odd thousand from expatriots in Japan.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

no, it's not even gonna be close and i don't think there is really any argument here. There is 5 more weeks the Wii can develop a lead before Halo even comes out. It's 60k right now, and it's gonna keep increasing by at around 150k a week (probably more given this months NPD). If you think 360 can sell 1,160,000 systems the week Halo comes out (60k+150k X 5+250k) then I just don't know what to say to you.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

z64dan said:
Imma vote no, but if Wii doesn't have extra supply for the holidays, 360 will pass the Wii again in december.

Very unlikely.  Nintendo ships about 1M Wiis a month and continues to sell everything they make.  (This number is supposed to be increasing slowly throughout the year, but rumors persist that Nintendo may not be able to improve supplies until next year.)  That would give Nintendo at least 15M Wiis out there at the end of this year, but I expect the totals to be closer to 17M with some improvements in supplies.

MS has not been making 1M 360s per month this year (though they're probably ramping up production on the new 'Falcon' units now.)  In fact, sales to retailers have been stagnant for the first six months of 2007 and totaled about 1M due the channel stuffing at the end of last year.  While MS probably has a good number of units in stock and will be shipping a lot more for the Halo and Holiday rush, I doubt they're going to reach sales of 1M consoles worldwide in Aug, Sept, or October.  Assuming decent sales, they should be able to sell about a million in November and up to 2M in December.  While that could give the 360 the lead in worldwide sales in December, it will not make up for the lower sales in remainder of August, all of September and October, and the even sales in November.  I expect the 360 to be at about 15M come the end of this year.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

@ dschumm: I think you're lowballing that number but I also think there's a strong chance that the Halo 3 launch will not cause 360 sales higher than Wii sales, or at most 1 week of such.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Nope. At the end of September the race will be about Wii=12m, 360=11m, Ps3=5m, or so.

Hmm i just hope halo can push 360 sales up to wii sales, i really dont know how much halo is going to boost, it might be big or small, no one really knows

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.