By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which games this generation will be considered classics in the future?

KylieDog said:
Nothing released yet on any platform.

Street Fighter IV will be the first.

This makes me wonder what criteria you could be using.

Around the Network

Ones for sure.. MGS4 :')

vonboy said:
i believe wiisports will be the super mario bros. of our time. everything else will pale in comparison of how much that will will be remembered.

Only if non casual gamers are the only ones who get to determine what classics are. I played Wii sports, and liked it.  But I got tired of it in the fraction of the amount of time I've played games like Halo. (or even a multiplayerless Mass effect)

Mass Effect, Wii Sports, StarCraft 2.

Maybe Halo 3... Halo games always have good replay value/memories. But I'm gauging this off of Halo:CE. It was certainly a classic, though Halo 3 doesn't have quite the same 'classic in the making' feel Halo:CE did when i first played it.

Games I have played that I think will be remembered by most people:
MGS4
LBP
Uncharted
SMG
MK Wii
Wii Sports

games that will be cult classics:
skate
Valkyria

Around the Network

I also believe that The Conduit will be considered a classic game in the future. The game is getting positive reviews and is known as "The Halo for the Wii".

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

scottie said:

@ Kantor - read what I said to rainbird. I'm not trying to disparage the game, and I have actually played it for long enough to form an opinion. I just honestly think that in 5-10 years time, contemporary stealth games will be so much better.

MGS4 did many things right, graphics are very good, the story was compelling, the controls are decent (and I don't say that about many dual analogue stick games that require both moving and shooting)

However, I believe it failed to do a few things that will be done in the next 5 years or so, wether by a later MGS, Tom Clancy or what ever. This game needed a much smarter AI

- They aren't very observant, they tried to cover this with the 'your suit is magic' excuse, but i don't think it worked
- If they see you, all you have to do is stay out of sight for a couple of minutes and everything calms down. Lets compare that to what would happen if a man with a gun was seen sneaking around the Pentagon, White House, Buckingham Palace or even any military installation. All personnel in the facility would be notified - half would stand in the same room as anything that needs protecting, and the other half would search the grounds until the person was found. They would give up only after a matter of hours. The police would be called in to blockade the area until the army could set up an effective barricade. MGS4 needs to give you a greater penalty for being seen. It also needs to be more difficult for one man to fight off a dozen enemies in a face to face fight. Whilst that is expected in Gears or Crysis, it seems a bit out of place in a stealth game.

- The enemies need to use stealth tactics - The only time I saw this done in the game was a boss fight against that laughing chick - and it was fairly well done. Why not more of it? Enemies setting traps, hiding, baiting the main chracter. I expected more of a mental challenge from MGS4

A game like SMB is still fun today, even after playing SMG. Hence it is a classic.

I believe that MGS7 will be so much better than MGS4 that it makes playing 4 seem like a waste of time

Come on. It stays just a game. I don't want to play a stealth game where I'm chased around for hours.

Snake612 said:
I also believe that The Conduit will be considered a classic game in the future. The game is getting positive reviews and is known as "The Halo for the Wii".

It's getting positive previews, hasn't had any reviews yet, and I think it's really only thought that it might become the halo for the Wii if everything goes right by some people online and its own developers.  Game will actually have to release before people can be definitive on something like that.

If positive previews and hopes for glory from the developer are all a game needs to become a classic then there are going to be a ton of classic games coming out soon.

Super Mario Galaxy
Call of Duty 4
Wii Sports
LittleBigPlanet

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

LBP(not because it is ''that'' good, mostly because it is innovative), Oblivion, MGS 4, Bioshock and Super Mario Galaxy.