By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's with the RE5 controls?

Okay, I already posted this in another thread, but since noone responded to it, I thought I would put it here, simply because people need to see this aspect of the game.:

I came into the demo with expectations of bad controls, and "last-gen gameplay", and boy was I dissappointed. I have never played an RE game before and I never cared for them.
I also played with the default controls (on the PS3), and haven't bothered to change them.

But I liked it, I really liked it. Admittedly, I wont buy it at full retail price, but the coop is awesome. The controls could use a little tweaking, but the way they are now is a part of the game. I love that it isn't just as straightforward as *insert random current-gen TPS*, here you're stressed and you get panicky.
Also, when I played coop (only played locally so far), it is much tougher to play then with the AI for me, because you now have too people who are negatively affected by the controls (stress, panic), instead of just one.
This forces you to use the environment (I played with a friend who played many RE games before, and he showed me stuff like blocking doors and windows with bookcases in the first house in the "public assembly").
The game really forces you out into the environment, and it gets really challenging.
Everything you do takes effort, and the knife controls, while not the best, are fine. If I had to point to anything I would like changed, I would say, add a direct grenade throwing button. Like L1+Triangle or whatever, that would be nice. I feel grenades are underused because you have to switch to them through the inventory, and when you finally get the grenade out, the group you were aiming at has dissolved.

In short, the way I see it, everyone who bitches about the controls aren't getting it. I'm not saying the controls will be for everyone, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

EDIT: And the title is a big irony blinker to all of those who thought the controls were crap.

Around the Network

I get annoyed at people who don't like KZ2 controls, and yet I can't stand RE5 controls myself.

Hypocritical?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
I get annoyed at people who don't like KZ2 controls, and yet I can't stand RE5 controls myself.

Hypocritical?

I'd say so

They're not bad but they're not great either. The knife controls are the only part I'd call terrible.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
They're not bad but they're not great either. The knife controls are the only part I'd call terrible.

Did you even read my post?

Around the Network

the re5 controls are the worst this gen, its as if you're controlling a tank. kz2 controls however i had no problem with

Initiating social expirement #928719281

The stranger thing is when people are unable to handle KZ2 controls and yet have no problem with those in RE5.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Rainbird said:
NJ5 said:

Did you even read my post?

Yes, I did. I have no specific comments about it, so I just decided to post my opinion about the controls :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Hearing about the crap controls in RE5 is making me not wanting to buy that game.
It is a survival horror FPS and you can not run and shoot in the game. Having to stand and shoot would be annoying.

No need to turn this into a Killzone 2 praising thread, we have other threads for that

If anything, praise the RE5 controls