By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So am I the only one loosing interest in playing games?

I guess that it happens from time to time, I had found it hard to play video games and even though I kept buying games and would always tell myself that I wanted to play I never actually did. Much of the time I would sit there and think.."But if I start it will I even get to play it far enough before I get interrupted.." Thankfully lately a coworker got me into playing SOCOM with him on a regularly basis to the point that I would get home from work and look for him online. And if he wasn't I'd find another game to play. I actually could not recall the last time I had beaten a game before I went back to Patapon this weekend and beat the game from the point where I had left off (Saving the Priestess). I still find myself playing games that can be played in short spurts more but I feel like I have been rejuvenated to a point :P. Going to try to pass Crisis Core finally, I never played it despite buying it long ago o.o;

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown

Around the Network

"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."
 Aaron Levenstein

I decided (perhaps foolishly) to study this thread to see if there was any consistent pattern between burned out and satisfied gamers based on their platform choice. I made it Wii vs HD consoles since the market share is close to 50/50.

DISCLAIMERS: This study could be total donkey doo doo since there is:
1) An inadequate sample to be meaningful, inadequately randomized and respondents were not directly asked about their satisfaction/disatisfaction
2) Relied on profile game lists/signature/name to judge affiliation and they may not be current
3) When gamers own both a Wii and one or more HD console we have no basis to know to what extent their happiness/unhappiness is based on which console(s)
4) Statements were sometimes ambiguous about their feelings

Here is the raw data

Burned Out

Sometimes

Happy Camper

HD Consoles

Wii

Both

?

Interpretation:

Burned out: The safest statement to be made is that apparently owning both types of systems does not guarantee gaming nirvana.

Sometimes: Sometimes the numbers are just too small to say anything

Happy Campers: At first glance it looks like a clear-cut, statistically meaningless victory for Nintendo but then we have the "Both" category. If that group is primarily happy because of their Wii, then we would have a 2:1 victory to brighten Iwata San's day. But if they are happy mainly because of their HD console(s) it would be a dead-heat at 9 each.

FINAL CONCLUSIONS: The only conclusion I can draw from this is that gamers are probably more likely to be satisfied than burned out. Either way, if would seem to have more to do with them and their particular situation and attitudes than in their choice of game console.

Sounds about right to me!