By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Poll: Will the Wii pass the PS2 in sales?

I really don't know, but I tend to doubt it.

Quite a few PS2s had to be rebuys, either because of the faulty early consoles or because of updated models. Wiis seem more reliable, and you can't really come out with a Wee Wii.

As well, I think that the 360 is going to move more than the XB while the PS3 ends up moving a few more than the GCN. The market's going to have grown, but how much?

Around the Network

No.

Yes: 1
No: 1

It lacks the power to hang for long enough to out sell the PS2

No because Wiis don't break as often.

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

No, the wii would have to sell at their current rate for another 9 years.

No I don't think it will. I think it will sell at leasy 70 million though

Around the Network

Wii won't be available for as long before the next-gen start. PS2 had 5 years before the 360 and 6 years before PS3/Wii. Wii won't be out that long before the next Xbox if it dominates as completely as the PS2 did (which it would have to in order to get close in sales). MS would launch their next console within 5 years of the 360 launch if the 360 died off as hard.

I think the Wii will have to contend with better-selling competition than the PS2 did, but it's obvious that the Wii is nevertheless building up an INSANE amount of momentum.

So, my vote: Yes, but not by much.

@ DKII: I have to disagree with you about the next Xbox launching in less time than elapsed between the original and the 360. It's pretty obvious now that the 360 was rushed out the door and I don't think MS is so stupid that they'll make that particular mistake twice.

On the other hand, the PS2 launched a year before the Xbox and the Wii a year after the 360, so that will definitely give MS a chance to deploy their next console after a shorter period of Wii domination, even if their development cycle is longer.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Probably no for the Wii, but the DS will take the crown.

I am going to say no. But I really don't care. As long as it sells more than the NES I will be more than satisfied.

too early to tell???