By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yuji Naka Wanted SEGA To Stay In The Hardware Biz.

Who will win in this battle to the death? Sega fans Vs. Playstation fans..

Around the Network

[edit] Technical specifications

Internal view of a Dreamcast console
Mainboard of the DreamcastProcessor

200 MHz SH-4 with an on-die 128-bit vector graphics engine, 360 MIPS and 1.4 GFLOPS (single precision), using the vector graphics engine
Graphics Engine

PowerVR2
CLX2, 7.0 million polygons/second peak performance, supports trilinear filtering. Actual maximum in game performance (with full textures, lighting, gameplay, etc.) is 5 million polygons/second or more.
Tile Based Deferred Rendering eliminates overdraw by only drawing visible fragments. This makes required fillrate almost independent from scene depth complexity, thus making up for a low, compared to other 6th generation consoles, nominal fillrate of 100 MPixels/s as effective fillrate can be triple that amount.
Graphics hardware effects include gouraud shading, z-buffering, anti-aliasing and bump mapping.
Memory

Main RAM: 16 MB[16] 64 Bit 100 MHz
Video RAM: 8 MB 4x16-bit 100 MHz
Sound RAM: 2 MB 16-bit 66 MHz
VQ Texture Compression (5:1 texture compression)[17]
Sound Engine

Yamaha AICA Sound Processor: 22.5 MHz 32-Bit ARM7 RISC CPU: 45 MHz,[17] 64 channel PCM/ADPCM sampler (4:1 compression), XG MIDI support, 128 step DSP
Storage

Yamaha GD-ROM Drive: 12x maximum speed (Constant Angular Velocity)
GD-ROM: Holds up to 1.2 GB
Visual Memory Unit ("VMU") 1 Mbit (128 KB[16]) removable storage device and 4x memory cards that hold four times as much data.
Input/Output

Inputs: USB-like "Maple Bus". Four ports support devices such as digital and analog controllers, steering wheels, joysticks, keyboards, mice, and more.
Color Output: Approx. 16.78 million colors (24-bit)
Video resolution: 640x480 interlaced or progressive scan
Dimensions

189 mm × 195 mm × 76 mm (7 7/16in × 7 11/16in × 3in)
Weight: 1.9 kg (4.2 lb)
Color: Majority are white.
Japan: Various limited edition designs and colored consoles were produced
North America: Only a black "Sega Sports"-labeled model and a blue model from Electronics Boutique were officially available
PAL: No known alternate designs or colors
Networking

A black 56k Dreamcast modemModem: Removable; speed varied among regions:
Original Asia/Japan model had a 33.6 kbit/s; consoles sold after September 9, 1999 had a 56 kbit/s modem
All American models had a 56 kbit/s
All PAL models had a 33.6 kbit/s
Broadband: these adapters are available separately and replace the removable modem
HIT-0400: "Broadband Adapter", the more common model, this used a Realtek 8139 chip and supported 10 and 100 Mbit speeds, this device was released in Japan and the US. It is a common misunderstanding that the Japanese broadband adaptor has the code HIT-0401, but this code actually refers to the Japanese adaptors packaging and documentation - not the broadband adaptor itself.
HIT-0300: "LAN Adapter", this version used a Fujitsu MB86967 chip and supported only 10 Mbit speed. The LAN Adaptor does not work with any retail games and was only compatible with the included web browser disk.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

darthdevidem01 said:
Seriously the dreamcast wasn't even that great

I REALLY don't get people's attachment with the console

THE GAMECUBE had better games....n we all know how the "gamecube" is regarded in terms of "great games"

Opinion.. meet Opinion.. Nice to meet you Opinion.. like wise.

Kinda funny how the only online games for the Gamecube were SEGA Games, well except for that 1 Japan game.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

With the exception of the DVD drive (which was laughable at best as a DVD movie player) The PS2 could'nt touch these specs.

PS2 didn't have internet support out of the box

PS2 could only understand 4 directions like th PS1 (maybe same case with PS3, I dunno it still has the same crap for crap controller) SAME AS AN ATARI!! Meanwhile the interface for and the Joystick on the control dealt with 16 directions on the Dreamcast.

THE VMU.

On board Artificial Intelegince module.

Hell of a lot better in archtecture to support Arcade/Coin-op ports.

Launch Library and Game Library argument is a moot point.

Dreamcast could render 3-D images waay faster than PS2. Most dreamcast games in-fact did run 60 fps. PS2 was luck to keep 30 fps consistantly.

I don't knoe of any REMOTEly even Possible way the PS2 should even be allowed to lick Dreamcast's proverbial dick.

Oh yeah PS2 had less onboard RAM than N64 and virtually no VRAM whereas Dreamcast had 8 Megs (double Gamecube and XBOXs 4M)

.... yeah arguing PS2 is even close to Dreamcast = Not allowed.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

And it looks like a Nintendo fan has entered the arena, but not much action from him.. one has to wonder when the Microsoft fans will show up? Atari, anyone?

Around the Network
Commando said:

With the exception of the DVD drive (which was laughable at best as a DVD movie player) The PS2 could'nt touch these specs.

PS2 didn't have internet support out of the box

PS2 could only understand 4 directions like th PS1 (maybe same case with PS3, I dunno it still has the same crap for crap controller) SAME AS AN ATARI!! Meanwhile the interface for and the Joystick on the control dealt with 16 directions on the Dreamcast.

THE VMU.

On board Artificial Intelegince module.

Hell of a lot better in archtecture to support Arcade/Coin-op ports.

Launch Library and Game Library argument is a moot point.

Dreamcast could render 3-D images waay faster than PS2. Most dreamcast games in-fact did run 60 fps. PS2 was luck to keep 30 fps consistantly.

I don't knoe of any REMOTEly even Possible way the PS2 should even be allowed to lick Dreamcast's proverbial dick.

Oh yeah PS2 had less onboard RAM than N64 and virtually no VRAM whereas Dreamcast had 8 Megs (double Gamecube and XBOXs 4M)

.... yeah arguing PS2 is even close to Dreamcast = Not allowed.

Please please please say this is a joke post.....please?

darthdevidem01 said:
Seriously the dreamcast wasn't even that great

I REALLY don't get people's attachment with the console

THE GAMECUBE had better games....n we all know how the "gamecube" is regarded in terms of "great games"

That the GameCube was home to 4 of the best games of all time? Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2 (in Battle form),  Super Smash Bros Melee, and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I had an n64, gamecube, ps2 and an xbox and I have to say, out of the box, the dreamcast was by far the best. The vmu idea was awesome, especially some of the downloadable mini games you could get on the vmu!

I remember playing shenmue again a few years ago and the graphics held up even then. People don't realize, some of the best games came from the dreamcast:

Yakuza, pgr, jetset radio, crazy taxi, virtua cop and fighter, phantasy star online, RE code veronica, soul calibur and many more. Internet gaming also was introduced through the DC. Longlive sega!

Bottom line is this____________________________

BOTH Sega and Nintendo OWN sony when it comes to 1st party franchises and LEGACY.

Only deluded people would disagree.

SmokedHostage said:
Ronster316 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Ronster

lol thats cus PS2 had better games though

I was a fool to buy neither n go straight for the gamecube while everyone played "games" on the Ps2

Ps2 is successful for a reason.....dreamcast failed for a reason

Yup, and we all know why playstation consoles were a success......................

Sonys $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Segas lack of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It was the hype of the PS2 that killed the Dreamcast.  I still wanna see these "Toy Story 2 Graphics" the PS2 was supposed to have.

Oh, poor guy wants to see a "Toy Story 2 Graphics" in a system he doesn't have...

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to pwn you for all the idiocy you spread around here...

Sony has NEVER promised a Toy Story 2 visual graphics for PS2, yes never! That myth started from an EGM article speculating about what the PS2 could achieve, and people, until this day, think that it was Sony saying that.

Funny thing is, it was actually Microsoft saying that a - Toy Story like visuals - is possible on the original Xbox, this is what Seamus Blackley, the creator of the original Xbox, said "One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'

LINK: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html

Oh, and it was uncle Billy that mentioned Toy Story 2 graphics is possible on Xbox "Gates said the 3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals. "We're approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2," he said, referring to the computer-generated kids film from Disney/Pixar."

LINK: http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2001/01/40970

It was an easy pwange. :)