By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yuji Naka Wanted SEGA To Stay In The Hardware Biz.

Yuji Naka Wanted Sega To Stay In The Hardware Biz

Former Sonic Team head honcho Yuji Naka is a Dreamcast fanboy. And he was very much against Sega's decision to bail on the hardware business, to kill off the Dreamcast, he says in a new interview.

Naka, now at Sega funded start up Prope, tells Kikizo "until the very final moments, I was really against Sega leaving the hardware business." Partially because Sonic Team was on the cusp of releasing the original Phantasy Star Online, but also because he felt the Dreamcast's networking capabilities was something Sega should further exploit.

"In a way I feel that, had that decision not been made, Sega would have gone bankrupt - so maybe it was a good business decision," Naka explains "But at the same time, I also feel like, what the hell - we should have given it a go, and we should have taken that risk."

Sadly, many of recall what went down. Sega dumped the Dreamcast. Yuji Naka dumped Sega to form Prope and develop titles like Let's Tap. And we get a little teary every time we turn on the best console Sega ever produced.

Naka also tells Kikizo that Prope's corporate color scheme — as well as the founder's tie and socks — was directly lifted from the Dreamcast's palette. Fanboy!

He's Back: Yuji Naka Prope Interview [Kikizo] (Full Interview)

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Yeah! At least I know I'm not the only Dreamcast fanboy in the world. :)

Pixel Art can be fun.

Long live the Sega Master system.
Long live the Sega megadrive
Long live the Sega game gear
Long live the Sega CD
Long live the Sega 32x
Long live the Sega saturn
Long live the Sega Dreamcast.

Oh, i see that Sega will be publishing Yuji's games, shows that Grandmaster Yuji Naka still has incredible respect for his former employers.

Yuji Naka= LEGEND

Sega= LEGENDS.

Yeah, your thread got more comments than mine. I guess you win.

so did I... although now it means I can buy Sega and Ninty games without paying for 2 consoles

Around the Network
Mr.Y said:

Yeah, your thread got more comments than mine. I guess you win.

I posted on your thread.

I did my bit

i would love it if they were still in the console war even though i never owned any of there systems more competition would just be awesome

Seriously the dreamcast wasn't even that great

I REALLY don't get people's attachment with the console

THE GAMECUBE had better games....n we all know how the "gamecube" is regarded in terms of "great games"

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I just wish that Sega would stop neglecting great franchises.............

Where are these games???????????

Shenmue 3
Fighters megamix 2
Jet set radio 3/Jet set radio future 2
Streets of rage 4
Sonic and knuckles 2 (in 2d on xbla for example)
Virtua cop 3

And many more...............

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

darthdevidem01 said:
Seriously the dreamcast wasn't even that great

I REALLY don't get people's attachment with the console

THE GAMECUBE had better games....n we all know how the "gamecube" is regarded in terms of "great games"

The rage I have for you right now is overwhelming.

Pixel Art can be fun.