By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will we see Killzone 2 E3 2005 level games?

CGI-Quality said:
@ star_city & jetrii

That Killzone 2 E3 05 trailer is what I would consider a game could look like and move like at some point next gen. CGI QUALITY FTW......lol XD

Hopefully. Problem is that the more powerful the consoles get, the more expensive and complicated it becomes to develop for them. Sure, the tools advance, but they don't advance fast enough. Sony and Microsoft should both be working on making the console more powerful and easier to develop for. 

Frankly, MS should just buy Epic and have the Unreal 4 engine be standard in the Xbox 720 dev kit. Sony can just have Naughty Dog/Insomniac build them an engine, they seem to be good at that. Unless something changes, developers will just refuse to spend so much money on graphics and the consoles will hit a wall.

@CGI-Quality

I think that it will either be Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2. I just hope they don't try to overdo it in Heavy Rain and end up making the characters seem phony and exaggerated. 

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
The graphics, textures and fixed mesh is one thing. Post processing and lighting/shadows in real time and emotive AI that acts naturally (or even at all) outside of scripts are the real taxing bits of a game, sound also draws quite a lot, especially in games with so much going on.
The animations, synching, particle effects, tracers and lighting in the E3 2005 trailer of KZ2 is beyond this generation of hardware (even top end PC's can't do that in-game just yet).
When this eventually happens, it'll be a PC title, that much I'm sure of, and it'll be a few years yet.
Like the OP says; the graphics are uncannily close to the target render, but the target remains a render at that, with many additions and details the PS3 (or 360) hardware has no chance of putting forth.

Surprisingly so.  When I first looked into such things, I was really shocked at the amount of resources sound can use when there is a lacking of dedicated hardware for it.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Mummelmann said:
The graphics, textures and fixed mesh is one thing. Post processing and lighting/shadows in real time and emotive AI that acts naturally (or even at all) outside of scripts are the real taxing bits of a game, sound also draws quite a lot, especially in games with so much going on.
The animations, synching, particle effects, tracers and lighting in the E3 2005 trailer of KZ2 is beyond this generation of hardware (even top end PC's can't do that in-game just yet).
When this eventually happens, it'll be a PC title, that much I'm sure of, and it'll be a few years yet.
Like the OP says; the graphics are uncannily close to the target render, but the target remains a render at that, with many additions and details the PS3 (or 360) hardware has no chance of putting forth.

Surprisingly so.  When I first looked into such things, I was really shocked at the amount of resources sound can use when there is a lacking of dedicated hardware for it.

If you think sound is a resource hog, don't even look at shadows. Most games have pretty bad shadows, and the ones that have good shadows use tricks to make it look better. Real quality shadows are amazingly taxing and can lower frame rates by over 50%. I think next generation we will see a slow transition from using tricks that complicate programming to actually using dynamic elements that makes things easier but also require a lot more power.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

jetrii said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Mummelmann said:

If you think sound is a resource hog, don't even look at shadows. Most games have pretty bad shadows, and the ones that have good shadows use tricks to make it look better. Real quality shadows are amazingly taxing and can lower frame rates by over 50%. I think next generation we will see a slow transition from using tricks that complicate programming to actually using dynamic elements that makes things easier but also require a lot more power.

I'm actually keenly aware of shadows too and this comes from experience of PC gaming with an older machine.  The difference between shadows off and shadows even on low quality is painful if your PC isn't up to spec.

Of course, on old hardware I've noticed that few things will bring it to its knees faster than particle effects like smoke.

Sound is just interesting because I had no idea it was so taxing on the machine.

I played Neverwinter Nights 2 on full once and it dropped down to 1-2 fps in outside environments with lots of AI. Turn off realtime shadows and was back up in 20's (still not good enough, I was just testing the settings).
And my rig ain't exactly slow...

Around the Network

It may come close graphically, but sure as hell not technically.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive