By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Another record year for computer games in Denmark

Google Translate:

Another record year for computer games in Denmark

Press release 27 / 1 2009

For the first time may Multimedia Association paint a complete picture of the Danes and play games on computer and console. The first two full years systematic market statistics show that the number of computer playing Danes Boomer as never before that the market is in the explosive growth and there is good sales in both hardware and software

Multimedia Association - the Danish trade association for PC and console, since 1 / 1 2007 comprehensive information on sales of both games and hardware in Denmark, and now may be the extent, development and trends in the Danes' computer habits are read for the first time.

The year went - went well
2008 was a year of great success for the Danish computer game industry. It was sold over 900 million. DKK computer which is an increase in the entire 15% compared to 2007 - actually increased sales of computer games to play happy Danes in 2008 with over 200,000 paragraph.

"We operate in a healthy market for continued growth. There were sold more games in 2008 than ever before - and a range of different gaming genres found their way to a still wider audience. It looks good, and we look forward to 2009 with joy and great expectations, "says Annette Jacobsen, chairman of Multimedia Association.

New products are becoming
The year went bade also positive trends for the new consoles like Playstation3 and Xbox 360, which really was rooted in the market. There were sold approx. 350,000 consoles in 2008 and of these, every fourth one of the new consoles.

"It's obviously a positive sign for the industry that new products are rapidly gaining consumers' hearts. Specifically, it is uplifting to see that consumers are investing in the relatively expensive new consoles at a time of international financial crisis, "says Annette Jacobsen.

Games are not just games
Finally, 2008 also proved to be a good year for many different types of games, ranging from family-friendly games and social games to sports games, shooters and online games:

"One of the really interesting trends in 2008 has been the diversity and breadth of the games that have come through. Charts have been marked by almost all genres of games - for example consists year top 3 of both sports game FIFA, the online game World of Warcraft and action game GTA. In addition, family games and social games like Buzz, Singstar, Guitar Hero and more Lego games remained entirely in the top, "Annette Jacobsen ends.

Additional information: Mikkel Messell, 22 29 40 88 mm@kommunikation2.dk

Link

Around the Network

Could someone give a better translation of this?

Året der gik – gik godt

2008 var et år med stor fremgang for den danske computerspilsbranche. Der blev solgt for over 900 mio. kr. computerspil hvilket er en stigning på hele 15% i forhold til 2007 – faktisk steg salget af computerspil til de spilleglade danskere i 2008 med over 200.000 stk.

Nye produkter vinder indpas

Året der gik bød også på positive tendenser for de nye konsoller som fx Playstation3 og Xbox 360, der for alvor slog rødder på markedet. Der blev solgt ca. 350.000 konsoller i 2008 og af disse var hver fjerde en af de nye konsoller.

No direct numbers it seems.... although from the original translation (presumably google) it seems to be saying 1/4 of the 350k consoles was either PS3 or X360.... hopefully a proper translation will shed some light.

BKK2 said:

Året der gik – gik godt

2008 var et år med stor fremgang for den danske computerspilsbranche. Der blev solgt for over 900 mio. kr. computerspil hvilket er en stigning på hele 15% i forhold til 2007 – faktisk steg salget af computerspil til de spilleglade danskere i 2008 med over 200.000 stk.

Året der gik bød også på positive tendenser for de nye konsoller som fx Playstation3 og Xbox 360, der for alvor slog rødder på markedet. Der blev solgt ca. 350.000 konsoller i 2008 og af disse var hver fjerde en af de nye konsoller.

Yes.

The year that has passed – went well

2008 was a year of great growth in the danish games industry. There was sold for over 900 million DKK (120,75 million euro) computergames, a growth of 15% compared to 2007 – year on year, 200.000 more games were sold in 2008 compared to 2007 to gaming happy danes

New products gain ground

The past year showed positive trends for consoles as the Playstation3 and the Xbox 360, as both consoles nailed their presence on the market. In 2008, 350.000 consoles were sold and every fourth of those were a new console

I don't know what they mean by "new console" in the last paragraph, because if it counts PS3, 360 and Wii, the number would seem quite low.

BKK2 said:

Året der gik – gik godt

The first one says 2008 was a big success, with over 900 million kroner in sales of computer games which was an increase of 15% from 2007. 200k more games were sold than in 2007.

The last part says there were also positive tendencies for the new consoles such as PS3 and X360. 350k consoles were sold in 2008, 25% of which were of the new generation.

EDIT - Seems I was beat by Rainbird. I also have some doubts about that last sentence...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Thanks, that's what I thought, but it does seem low if it also includes Wii. Maybe it's not actually included.

Maybe someone could contact them for confirmation, I'd also like to know what the total software unit sales were, and how many of those were for consoles and handhelds. Also if the DKR900m figure includes hardware.

I might do it myself, but I'm not sure if I'll get a reply to an English email.

BKK2 said:
Thanks, that's what I thought, but it does seem low if it also includes Wii. Maybe it's not actually included.

Maybe someone could contact them for confirmation, I'd also like to know what the total software unit sales were, and how many of those were for consoles and handhelds. Also if the DKR900m figure includes hardware.

I might do it myself, but I'm not sure if I'll get a reply to an English email.

I'll do it

That's great, thanks a lot.