By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top Marks for Resident Evil 5 in first ever review

Does every single high review score have to succumb to these tired old allegations?

Our top story: Internet forum members pre-judge source with cynicism and scepticism accusing bribery and bias...

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
I just can't stand the series -_-;;; Ass control's = no go for me.

Tried the Wii one, and the aiming was great, and the other control's... still sucked >_> Until this franchise is playable I'll just be skipping...

Yeah, I felt the same way when I tried RE4 for the Gamecube.  My friend always ranted and raved about how great it was but I just couldn't get past the controls.  I didn't like the game until I played the Wii version and fell in love with it.  It's a shame that RE5 will never ever appear on the Wii, I haven't even bothered with it yet since I imagine they went back to the old control scheme.

Fumanchu said:
Does every single high review score have to succumb to these tired old allegations?

Our top story: Internet forum members pre-judge source with cynicism and scepticism accusing bribery and bias...

It's a pretty known fact that you can only post an early review for a huge game if it's a high review.  That means they potentially rated the game high so they could get their review out there before everyone else and people would buy their magazine.

twesterm said:
Fumanchu said:

It's a pretty known fact that you can only post an early review for a huge game if it's a high review.  That means they potentially rated the game high so they could get their review out there before everyone else and people would buy their magazine.

So if they were to award it a 4/5 it wouldn't have been posted as early?

I'm just over the conspiracy theory claims that seem to be everyone's first reaction or assumed response when they have a differing view.

Fumanchu said:
twesterm said:
Fumanchu said:

So if they were to award it a 4/5 it wouldn't have been posted as early?

I'm just over the conspiracy theory claims that seem to be everyone's first reaction or assumed response when they have a differing view.

Capcom probably would not have allowed a 4/5 because that means it gets an 80 on metacritic.  There's plenty good reason to be plenty skeptical of some conspiracy theories, but this is one of those ones that is sadly quite true.

Around the Network

@Twesterm

I understand what you're implying - the whole dynamics of a first review out of the gate before a review embargo lift, stands to reason that they have to be high review scores with the publisher green-lighting it.

I think that a fairly reputable source is still risking a lot of their credibility should they accept the 'publishers bitch' role in the hopes of increased sales of their 'breaking news' review unless they geniunely believe that the score will be backed by other sources. Maybe we should wait until other sources confirm or deny this warm reception before writing it off completely.

From my understanding, via OXM, Resident Evil 5 does have a control option that allows for run & gun, Dead Space-style game play. If that's true, everyone needs to at least give the game a try.

Otherwise, it felt like Reisdent Evil 4: Co-Op with Ada

Which may or may not be good for you. RE4 lacked horror, but gained a much longer, and very satisfying game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

hmmm... I'm about to try out the demo.

4 ≈ One

Fumanchu said:
@Twesterm

I understand what you're implying - the whole dynamics of a first review out of the gate before a review embargo lift, stands to reason that they have to be high review scores with the publisher green-lighting it.

I think that a fairly reputable source is still risking a lot of their credibility should they accept the 'publishers bitch' role in the hopes of increased sales of their 'breaking news' review unless they geniunely believe that the score will be backed by other sources. Maybe we should wait until other sources confirm or deny this warm reception before writing it off completely.

You should also remember that OXM is also running a business.  In an owners mind, padding a review in order to get the first or one of the first reviews out there in order to sell more magazines is very much worth a small group of people on the internet bitching about corrupt reviewers that probably won't buy the magazine anyways.

Remember, us (the people who frwuequent game forums and game news blogs) are not in any way at all the majority.  You think OXM cares about their reputation and I'm sure there are people there that do, but the owners care about selling more magazines.

So whether that review is entirely truthful or not, that review cannot be trusted until the embargo is actually lifted.

twesterm said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
I just can't stand the series -_-;;; Ass control's = no go for me.

Tried the Wii one, and the aiming was great, and the other control's... still sucked >_> Until this franchise is playable I'll just be skipping...

Yeah, I felt the same way when I tried RE4 for the Gamecube.  My friend always ranted and raved about how great it was but I just couldn't get past the controls.  I didn't like the game until I played the Wii version and fell in love with it.  It's a shame that RE5 will never ever appear on the Wii, I haven't even bothered with it yet since I imagine they went back to the old control scheme.

Don't worry, if it's not RE5 it will be another RE Wii game next. I seriously can't see Capcom hating money that much, RE4:Wii sold very well.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957