By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the best launch gave ever?

If you mean best as in what moved the most hardware, it's difficult to go against Super Mario Brothers for the NES or Tetris for the Gameboy. Both of these games ultimately moved more than 30 million software units when bundled with their respective hardware, and virtually created new industries that hadn't previously existed. While it's too early to tell at this point, I believe Wii Sports may be in the same category eventually; it's closing in on 10 million sold already, and may be as high as 15 million by the end of 2007.

If you mean best as in which games were most technically impressive, I'd have to say Super Mario 64. There really was no game even remotely like it when it came out, and it would not be a stretch to say that I bought the N64 just to play that game. (I'm sure I wasn't the only one either.)

By comparison, none of the Playstations has ever launched with anything particularly revolutionary. Halo for the XBox brought some new elements to consoles, but again didn't do anything that hadn't already been tried on the PC before. Its main achievement was bringing the online shooter to a much greater audience, and making it more accessible than ever before. The early Genesis/Megadrive games looked amazing compared to the NES, but they were pretty simplistic; I don't think they quite qualify for this category either. Maybe something on an obscure platform like Neo-Geo would work here, but I'm sticking with my answer of Mario 64.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Wii Sports, it has moved a lot of Wiis and generated an amazing amount of press and interest in the console.

It has to be Super Mario 64

Wii # 1303 9468 5016 0389

PSN Cmarkru

Xbox live gold Cmarkru

Please feel free to ad me any time, just let me know.

Halo Combat evolved w/out halo ther is no x360 and the Originalxbox becomes a dreamcast.

Super Mario 64 hands down.

Around the Network

without a doubt it is Mario 64, no game has ever had that kind of impact on gaming before. No game probably ever will.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

the best lunch i ever gave was....

wait what was the question?

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

I'd say Mario 64, followed by Wii Sports and Mario Bros. ranks third. All those games defined the platforms they were on, but Mario Bros. was not worldwide and Wii Sports shows not all of the Wii's capability.

I'd say that the Wii has the best launch games, because the duo Wii Sports/Zelda: TP is nearly unbeatable, it appeals to a lot of people. But as a single game, Mario 64 was more important.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

fantavision

Halo and Zelda Twilight Princess. My two favorite launch games, Mario 64 was fun, but IMO not as much fun.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie