By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anybody play the stranglehold demo?

It's just silly mad fun.  The demo is long enough to really get a taste for the game.  It seems from the reviews I've read that it's a love it or hate it kind of thing.  There are enough things going on in the environment, the "matrix-like" bullet dodging standoff, and the "close up shot" thingy to keep things interesting.  Pretty much everything in the game that isn't a building or something else very rigid is destructible which is great fun.

For grins, try the demo a couple of times and try shooting people with the aimed shot in the knee, groin, eye, hand, foot, etc.  All sorts of different animations.

Great fun indeed but YMMV.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I wonder if it's on the PSN yet, have to check.

It's really like a next-gen Max Payne, which was one of my favourite last gen games.

The PS3 version appears to be getting some exclusive stuff, including a copy of the movie 'Hard Boiled' on the Blu-ray disc.

I would like to play a demo of it first though, before I buy it. Looks like alot of fun.

I really enjoyed the demo. The first I've seen where you unlock abilities when you beat it on easy, medium, and hard. As a result, I've beat the demo 6 times.

The demo is a ton of fun, it's not the greatest game ever IMO, but it is good, mindless fun, especially trying to pull off stylish moves.

The only things that kinda bothered me about the demo, is if I played through a few times and ulocked things, if I quit the demo and came back later, everything was locked back again. Also, for some reason, when I start the demo, my guy just starts shooting until I pull and release the shoot trigger. These are just minor annoyances though and probably won't be an issue in the real game.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

I currently downloading..Well its done downloading now. So I'm trying it out now I will give you a review on the demo when done!!!!

Around the Network

I haven't got the demo yet, but I will.

From reviews, it seems vastly too shallow, but will certainly be a great rental, and maybe even bargain-buy.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Dallinor said:
I wonder if it's on the PSN yet, have to check.

It's really like a next-gen Max Payne, which was one of my favourite last gen games.

The PS3 version appears to be getting some exclusive stuff, including a copy of the movie 'Hard Boiled' on the Blu-ray disc.

I would like to play a demo of it first though, before I buy it. Looks like alot of fun.

Only the Collectors Edition has Hard Boiled

Unfortunatly, the PS3 version is delayed, and I'd assume the same for the demo.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

NO!!!! this game is freaking TIGHT!!!!! The demo only lasted for 20-30 minutes but otherwise a satsified experience. The controls are spot on, the slow motion gimmick is right on point when you need it and the showdown squences are amazing!!!! the graphics are spectualar and the game is just awesome a Most-Have on my list and awesome cutscenes, I really looking forward to the story!!! Awesome game!!!!

Man this game is not what you guys are making it out to be (and when I say you guys I mean Takashii). The aiming is ridiculous, the graphics look like shenmue on the dreamcast, and why o why AM I SLIDING over random shit. Seriously, O theres a box gotta slide over it, o man, shootin shit, wait ill slide while I'm not even looking at the table.....wtf......... I feel like I'm playing Final Fantasy Dirge Of Cerebrus......

It's alright at best, I say its a 20$ game.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Alexie Di Onie said:
Man this game is not what you guys are making it out to be (and when I say you guys I mean Takashii). The aiming is ridiculous, the graphics look like shenmue on the dreamcast, and why o why AM I SLIDING over random shit. Seriously, O theres a box gotta slide over it, o man, shootin shit, wait ill slide while I'm not even looking at the table.....wtf......... I feel like I'm playing Final Fantasy Dirge Of Cerebrus......

It's alright at best, I say its a 20$ game.

Do you actually have a 360 and you've played it? Shenmue on the dreamcast? Come on, now, let's be realistic here. The graphics are far better than anything seen on the Xbox or the PS2 and certainly better than the dreamcast... I'll certainly admit that the graphics aren't as good as gears or some of the other 'best of class' games but they are very fluid and nicely detailed. This game is fun. Period. I don't know the story and frankly didn't really care about it. Maybe you have issues with your controller because I had no problem controlling the reticle on screen both in and out of "slo mo". To each his own I guess, but it's a very fun game demo and I suspect the game will be as well. If this is a $20 game, then at least half the games on the 360 are $20 games...

Yep, I'd say those are fairly close. (insert sarcasm here) I just picked two random pictures... one from above is stranglehold. Below is Shenmue Dreamcast. Since Shenmue isn't a shooter and that's pretty much all Stranglehold is, I'm guessing finding "comparable" screenshots isn't going to happen.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.