By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ensemble Studios official closes its doors...

From the Ensemble Studios website:

Closing Down: It is hard to believe that the day has finally come when Ensemble Studios closes its doors and we move on to whatever is next. I was employee #4, starting in February of 1995, and will always be grateful to Tony and Rick Goodman for remembering me and getting me involved in what will probably be the defining experience of my career. There was a genuine caring at ES for colleagues, and the games we made, which was special. The mission of our studio was to create a great place to work and make great games, stressed by Tony in that order. I believe we stayed on mission throughout and often it was a lot of fun. It is worth mentioning that about 60% of the people who worked on Age of Empires I were with the studio to the end. And it was a really special group of people who pulled together for the long hours and hard work to finish our last game to our standards.

We are working our way through the final week with mixed emotions. We have a lot to be proud of and new opportunities are beckoning, but it is also sad to see this particular great adventure coming to an end. Boxes are piled in the hallways for trash; people are giving away games and other stuff they don't want anymore; computers are being wiped; and our corporate IDs are being turned in. Although we will be keeping in touch through some alumni initiatives, many of us may not cross paths again.

There are at least two new studios being formed by ES employees and I expect both to do very well. There were a lot of outstanding game developers here and it will be interesting to see how and what they do, both individually and as new groups, in the years ahead.

Goodbye and Thanks: My expectation is that this is the final ES blog that I will write. I have enjoyed pulling it together for the past several years and sharing with you what I could about the inside workings of a game studio. It was a pleasure and a privilege to showcase the work and fun side of our group.

I do not know at this point if the newly forming game studios will be doing similar blogs or even how you could find out.

On behalf of everyone at ES, past and present, thanks for your support over the years. Your feedback on our games made the next version better. Buying legitimate copies made it possible for us to keep making them. Thanks also to those who wrote us to express regrets about the end of our studio and even the end of this blog.

Have fun,

Bruce Shelley

Published Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:45 PM

I can't help but feel heavy resentment towards Microsoft now that one of my favorite studios is gone. 

RIP Ensemble.  I'll forever long for an Age of Mythology II.

Around the Network

That's sad; I love the Age of Empires series, and I still play Age of Empires II on my amazing computer (that runs windows 98 ^_^). I would play Age of Mythology; that game is equally amazing, but sadly, my (other) computer's disc drive is broken, and I haven't gotten around to having it fixed.
RIP Ensemble indeed; it's just sad to see them go...

The entire age of empires series was my favorite RTS series of all time.  I played those games relentlessly for many years and will always have a soft spot in my heart for them.  I wish all of those people well and hope they can continue the good work allbeit in a different company.  

RIP Ensemble, you will be missed.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Ouch, Age of Empires was great. This is sad to hear. I hope all the guys find jobs.

What first party studio is left at Microsoft? (Rare, Turn 10 and Lionhead?)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I think that's about it. I know they closed FASA Studios a year or two ago.  They were guys behind MechWarrior 4, MechCommander 1/2, and Crimsons Skies: high Road to Revenge.  The MechCommander series was another awesome franchise.  :(

I wonder if they'll keep Rare around much longer. They're the life blood of Microsoft's family oriented games movement, but their last two titles have sold horribly.

This has been announced for a while.

Very disappointing, one of the best studios and by far my favorite MS 1st party developer. Hopefully though the independent studio they plan to create works out and we can see some more kick ass RTSs.

cool48 said:
This has been announced for a while.

Very disappointing, one of the best studios and by far my favorite MS 1st party developer. Hopefully though the independent studio they plan to create works out and we can see some more kick ass RTSs.

It was announced a few months ago, but today it actually happened.  :'(

lol...i dont want to sound conspicuous but a lot of Sony ps3 fans seem to have an emotional attachment to Ensemble studios.

While I agree that its sad to see them go...I personally never heard of them until i heard of halo wars. Hope their last game is a good swansong...

makingmusic476 said:

I think that's about it. I know they closed FASA Studios a year or two ago.  They were guys behind MechWarrior 4, MechCommander 1/2, and Crimsons Skies: high Road to Revenge.  The MechCommander series was another awesome franchise.  :(

I wonder if they'll keep Rare around much longer. They're the life blood of Microsoft's family oriented games movement, but their last two titles have sold horribly.

Well, they sold Bioware to EA and sold Bizarre Creations to SEGA.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.