By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1up: Shadow of the Colossus Postmortem

1up

"We had a fantastic time rediscovering the special place that Shadow holds in our hearts, and talking through our experiences with it, both anecdotal and analytical. At the time, we were hoping to do a follow-up interview with the developer mastermind Fumito Ueda to share some of our post-game thoughts and burning questions. Well, it took a while, but we were finally able to tear him away from whatever wonderful project he's surely working on now. So excuse our drooling, and LOOK OUT FOR SPOILERS, as the Backlog crew throws some questions at the man behind the magic:"

Sample question:

"1UP: We all agreed that having the horse control like an animal and not like a car was very important and worked really well. How did you accomplish that? Was there a specific trick to it?

FU: I've never made a car racing game so I can't compare it. However, when I develop I try to be conscious of controlling a man who's on a horse, not the horse itself. So I intentionally delayed the control response, knowing it could spoil operability, which was a difficult choice."

If you need a reminder,

ICO

Shadow of The Colossus

Another sample question:

"1UP: Many gamers consider the soundtrack to Shadow of the Colossus to be one of the most impressive ever created. How early into development did you start working on the soundtrack? Did you anticipate having such dynamic, real-time music to accompany the battles initially? Will your future titles allow you to make even more dynamic changes to the score in real-time?

FU: Yes, because I wanted to create a totally different world for Shadow of the Colossus compared to the world of ICO, I was thinking of using songs that are dynamic and gallant from the beginning. Also, I had an idea for songs that dramatically changed depending on the situation of the game character. There had been some games in which several tracks were played and turned on and off depending on the situation of the scenes, but my ideal was that to change the melody and how the song develops as the situation changes, just like how they work in movies. It's my challenge now to come up with songs that change more dramatically for the title I am working on."

The Opened Way from Shadow of The Colossus being performed by The Eminence Symphony Orchestra,

----------------

It was a pretty cool read and there was some good information into the creator's thoughts about his games. If you thought ICO and Shadow of The Colossus were brilliant, check this out! If you have a PS2 and haven't played them yet, shame on you!

Around the Network

Shadow of the Colossus is actually a pretty fun game

Is this from like 4 years ago? It seems weird to do something like this now...

Also, has anyone seen Reign Over Me? That movie really pimps Shadow of the Colossus.

I never played ICO (shame on me, I know), but I beat the first six colossi of SoTC before my game disc stopped working (relax, I'm getting it again), and it was a masterpiece.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I love SOtC. I really wish they would make another. It would be in my collection first day it came out.

Leap that wall if you're so great!!

Around the Network
Kantor said:
I never played ICO (shame on me, I know), but I beat the first six colossi of SoTC before my game disc stopped working (relax, I'm getting it again), and it was a masterpiece.

Play Ico before you return to SotC.  The ending of SotC is better if you've played Ico.  I mean, the journey of SotC is awesome in and of itself, but Ico is good, too.

I cant find ico anywhere. I'm sure I could on ebay but i'm not a big ebay person

Leap that wall if you're so great!!

surprisingly I missed both ICO and SoTc..

in fact I never even heard of ico until now and didn't hear of sotc until I saw reign of me..

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

Apparently I need to watch this movie called Reign Over Me...

Great game. Very disappointing controls. Sluggish and unresponsive. Getting on to Agro always took at least three tries.

One of the things I like most about it is that it's not a game that can be knocked off. It was such a departure from conventional design that if anyone did try to 'pay homage to it' in their own way, it would come off as cheap and misguided.