By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii60? PlayStation Army? I hate fanboyism

I love gaming, I will buy my PS3 to get Killzone 2 then I will have everything (again, my brother took his PS3 away)

Around the Network
nofosu said:
..... No body wants to feel like the product they put thier hard earned money into is useless.

I agree, maybe not "useless" in this generation, but everyone wants to feel they spent their money the best way they could have spent it.
I think alot of the overly defensive or offensive reactions from rival camps stem from insecurity actually. Its human nature I guess. Will my PS3 really never take off ?? Will my 360 end up in last place if the PS3 finally does take off?? And if (my console) is in last place that means my console lost! OMG NO!!

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

I don't see how bad sales make a product suck... yet people are unwilling to accept the current sales situation. I owned a Saturn, a Dreamcast, an N64, and a Gamecube, and I don't regret a single one of those purchases (granted I also owned a PSone and a PS2). However, everyone has their opinions about consoles and they have the right to express those opinions as long as they do it in a civil and reasonable way. There is never a reason to insult others no matter how different your tastes in games are.

Im definitely not a fanboy. Ienjoy all the games on all 3 next gen consoles. Fanboys are really missing out on the great games on on PS3, Wii, and 360. I dont understand way fanboys are getting so offensive on a system and always putting down a system . I can understand if they where getting payed to put down system but this fanboyish stuff is getting ridiclous. An fanboy can just be an exec at Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to get payed for praising or putting down a system. All I know is im going to enjoy Uncharted, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Rock Band, Guitar Hero 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Metriod Prime 3, and Super Smash Bros Brawl!!!!!!!

CameronHall1 said:
Im definitely not a fanboy. Ienjoy all the games on all 3 next gen consoles. Fanboys are really missing out on the great games on on PS3, Wii, and 360. I dont understand way fanboys are getting so offensive on a system and always putting down a system . I can understand if they where getting payed to put down system but this fanboyish stuff is getting ridiclous. An fanboy can just be an exec at Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to get payed for praising or putting down a system. All I know is im going to enjoy Uncharted, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Rock Band, Guitar Hero 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Metriod Prime 3, and Super Smash Bros Brawl!!!!!!!
   Amen Brother

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

One of the causes of flamewars on game forums is a misperception shared by many that winning an argument in a little thread on the internet will meaningfully influence the outcome of the console war.

No matter what or how you argue in game forums, it won't change a damn thing in a broader perspective. The outcome is predetermined by broader market variables, production/distribution/gametitles/technology/marketing/timing/etc, and the odds of your clever argument influencing the outcome is close to zero.

This is not to say our word of mouth is entirely meaningless especially when it's systematically organized and has a strong momentum. But it never gets strong enough to negate the broader market variables. Whatever will happen will happen, and your argument won't really matter in the end. Still, a lot of people simply can't stop defending a console of their choice.

Indeed there're plenty of places and news for us to start a flamewar. Forums/blogs/magazines/reviewsites on the web generally have an incentive to keep flamewars going among users. They get a huge bump in visits/views when there're active flaming discussions, and therefore better ad-clicking/revenue. To this extent, they thrive on conflict among gamers. Some sites encourage it intentionally, while others merely condone it. There have been and will always be numerous places and resources on the web to keep flamewar going.

We can't never stop other people starting a flamewar. But there's one thing you can do -- you can stop doing it yourself. The only way to do it is simply STOP DEFENDING a console of your choice. Just ignore offensive posts, stay positive, and keep posting informative/interesting discussions. That's the only way.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

FinalEvangelion said:
CameronHall1 said:
Im definitely not a fanboy. Ienjoy all the games on all 3 next gen consoles. Fanboys are really missing out on the great games on on PS3, Wii, and 360. I dont understand way fanboys are getting so offensive on a system and always putting down a system ......
Amen Brother

I second that amen!

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Soriku said:
CameronHall1 said:

QFT, but some people (like me) can't afford a PS3/360 so I defend Nintendo.

get a job ;P j/k

Warlord_ said:
The wii is what started the wars recently, the PS fans know that their graphics were not the best last gen but that never came up as much because we had all the games. I'm a Nintendo of old fan not a wii fan, i also love MS/PS.

Wii fanboys are by far the worst on the whole internet, they flame every thread to do with Sony on every site there is. Sony fans only come to back up their system, and fight it out with Microsoft for the best graphic's.

You tell any wii fan that their system is not the second coming of christ and they go all mental. You tell them that their system can't do 360/PS3 grapics and they go mental, you say one thing about Mario not being the best thing since sliced bread and they go mental, it just never ends with wii fans.

You tell them that the wii might be outsold and that this is only the first year of the war and they go beyond mental and go off in 10 threads how Sony is the Devil and that every games they make is shit and because HSG5 sells less then HSG3 Sony has lost it all when our sales are up 50%-100%.

How to identify a fanboy? Hummmm.... he thinks that te flag he waves is his.

omoneru said:
One of the causes of flamewars on game forums is a misperception shared by many that winning an argument in a little thread on the internet will meaningfully influence the outcome of the console war.

No matter what or how you argue in game forums, it won't change a damn thing in a broader perspective. The outcome is predetermined by broader market variables, production/distribution/gametitles/technology/marketing/timing/etc, and the odds of your clever argument influencing the outcome is close to zero.

This is not to say our word of mouth is entirely meaningless especially when it's systematically organized and has a strong momentum. But it never gets strong enough to negate the broader market variables. Whatever will happen will happen, and your argument won't really matter in the end. Still, a lot of people simply can't stop defending a console of their choice.

Indeed there're plenty of places and news for us to start a flamewar. Forums/blogs/magazines/reviewsites on the web generally have an incentive to keep flamewars going among users. They get a huge bump in visits/views when there're active flaming discussions, and therefore better ad-clicking/revenue. To this extent, they thrive on conflict among gamers. Some sites encourage it intentionally, while others merely condone it. There have been and will always be numerous places and resources on the web to keep flamewar going.

We can't never stop other people starting a flamewar. But there's one thing you can do -- you can stop doing it yourself. The only way to do it is simply STOP DEFENDING a console of your choice. Just ignore offensive posts, stay positive, and keep posting informative/interesting discussions. That's the only way.

i'm not arguing the fact that on VGgame word of mouth will change anything.... but word of mouth and buzz marketing can the main and only reason some product are working.... especialy if the word of mouth is started by opinion leaders.... it has been proven true in the past and it will in the future... and for more products than peole can imagine.... it's just cool to have the same thing than the coolest guy at school or at the office or anywhere else especially if some trustworthy people told you it's kick ass....  if well done the buzz would take like fire in the grand canyon in the middle of summer.... with not much more advertising needed....