By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Graphics Gap Will Start To Widen

@forevercloud3000

Did you know Red Faction cannot be done on PS3 due to its lack of RAM,While the 360 gets a new exclusive "only possible on this system" type game,oh and guess what Neither Console CPU is maxed out so,well KZ2 did say they used 100% of the power at some points.

Around the Network
Garnett said:
@forevercloud3000

Did you know Red Faction cannot be done on PS3 due to its lack of RAM,While the 360 gets a new exclusive "only possible on this system" type game,oh and guess what Neither Console CPU is maxed out so,well KZ2 did say they used 100% of the power at some points.

There is no such thing as "only possible on this system" between the 2 HD console... expect when it comes to storage....but even that is very marginal...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
Garnett said:
@forevercloud3000

There is no such thing as "only possible on this system" between the 2 HD console... expect when it comes to storage....but even that is very marginal...

Negative,360 can use its RAM unevenly,therefore a game can only be made on that system while using 300mbs for CPU while PS3 is maxed at 256.

My question is not whether the PS3 is the most graphically capable console out there. I could concede that much.  I would also allow you to say Blu Ray offers the most storage space in any disc-based format available. Sure, the get-a-life fanboys might have wet dreams with the prospect of imposing their bragging rights on others, but I don't think that's the issue we should be focusing on.

Let's say the Playstation 3 may offer the most graphically impressive experience out there. My question to Sony is: What else will you offer me? Having a system that wows friends and family when they watch it on your HDTV might be amusing for a while. But trust me, the novelty wears off eventually.

I enjoy good graphics as much as anyone else. Let me correct that. I DEMAND good graphics whenever I can get them. I can certainly enjoy games with less impressive graphics, if the gameplay is addicting enough (I still play the original Starcraft, for example).

The issue Sony should be focusing on is what else, besides great graphics, will you offer the public to regain some significant market share. It's no secret that the PS3 was the only current generation console that sold LESS this holiday season than the previous one. I don't know about you, but that would have me REALLY worried if I were SCE. Getting the most out of your surround-sound home entertainment system isn't accomplishing much, folks.

Some people counter this by saying: just wait for the price cut, you'll see. Dude, if you've been waiting TWO DAMN friggin' years for the system to go down 50 bucks, then I truly pity your financial situation. I would advise you to save your money and tighten your belt during what looks to be a long, painful recession. How much more can they cut? 100, 200 dollars? Sony is really struggling to keep the ship afloat right now. There are plenty of articles on this very site that document this, if this is news to you.

Besides, the problem with such a strategy is that both Microsoft and Nintendo can match whatever Sony slashes from the PS3's price dollar for dollar. Microsoft is in a better strategic position to win a war of attrition if it came to that. Nintendo has not had any reason to lower the wii's price, since they been struggling to meet demand anyway, so doing anything that might increase it without increasing production as well would be rather pointless.

I am not criticizing Sony because I hate it or something. I am not a blind fan either. The PS3 is the first Sony system I ever bought. But, as an interested consumer, I would really like to know what they're going to come up with so as not to fall into irrelevant status this generation.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

@sydrex
i agree for the most part, graphics arent everything. The problems started when media and 360 fanboys started bashing PS3 cuz of inferior ports and mostMP games looking the same. They kept saying Sony lied about the systems power,but Sony didnt, the power just wasnt being utilized. Sony is out to prove the systems worth as a viable gaming console thats stronger than the rest.

Yet it seems that unless PS3 games are sbove and beyond what can be done on 360, thePS3 gets bashed. Sony still cant get the amount of props they deservd when they do innovate or excel(MGS4,LBP,KZ2,VC). Its never good enough. Many try and say PS3 has no games, FALSE! then it went to PS3 graphics are not just as good as 360s or if they are just as good they should be better,FALSE(as proven n this thread, KZ2).

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

Points well made, Forevercloud

If anyone just bashes either system for the sake of it, then he/she is just being immature. It's not gratifying at all to discuss such nonsense with fanatical fanboys.

Considering they had time to examine the X360 before putting out their system,I would have been very surprised if Sony had NOT created a more powerful console. This is not something that needs be based on opinion. Specs tell one part of the story. The other can be told by running comparison tests. So there is an objective answer to the question of which of the systems is the most powerful. Simple deductions indicate the PS3 is the more capable console of the two, but I would be more than willing to revise such a conclusion if enough evidence is shown to me that it is not.

The point I am trying to make has nothing to do with which system is more capable of handling complex physics or putting out the most realistic graphics.

What matters the most is which system is satisfying customers more right now. And it appears to me that Microsoft has done much better than Sony in this respect so far. They've provided A) various SKUs at more affordable prices, B) an online service that has kept millions of players hooked and C) a decent library of games. The whole RROD fiasco must have hurt, but in the long run customers have kept coming back for more.

In comparison, Sony has provided A) a steeper priced system (although I don't think they could have done much more than what they've done in this respect, without sacrificing features), B) a competent online system, which is also free, and C) a comparable library... can't really say, based on exclusive titles, which one is better, it all depends on what suits your tastes better.

Maybe the year head start is what has made the REAL difference here, I don't know. I certainly have never felt compelled to get a 360, but many of my friends have and they have loved it (when it hasn't burned to a crisp).

Does Sony offer the most powerful home console? Probably. But it does not matter a single bit if it fails to capture a wider audience. If the market share is not there (rhyme unintentional), then developers will not consider it worth their time to create exclusive AAA games for it. Multiplatform games can be bought for any of the systems, so they will not help a potential customer lean more towards one or the other. And, as anyone with common sense will conclude, it's the GAMES that matter.

Having an incredibly powerful console with no games is like driving a powerful Ferrari in a traffic jam. You know the power is there, but you don't get to enjoy it.

The games are coming, yes. I'm just afraid of the possibility that it might be too little, too late for Sony... I really hope I'm wrong about this.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

If there was a "PS3 technical advantage" which was clear cut, there wouldn't be debate like this. Because the whole situation is murky and convoluted with one console doing better at one thing and the other doing better at another, statements that one console has markedly more achieveable performance than the other are always going to be met with resistance.

One thing I do know is that the Xbox 360 architecture is somehow brilliant in design to perform as well as it does and so cheaply at that is a testament to the designers of the system.

The Xbox 360 performs exceptionally well in certain areas.

The PS3 performs exceptionally well in certain areas.

Theres no real need to prove one system as more powerful because they both will look about as limited as each other looking back from the next generation to this time.

Tease.

forevercloud3000 said:
@sydrex
i agree for the most part, graphics arent everything. The problems started when media and 360 fanboys started bashing PS3 cuz of inferior ports and mostMP games looking the same. They kept saying Sony lied about the systems power,but Sony didnt, the power just wasnt being utilized. Sony is out to prove the systems worth as a viable gaming console thats stronger than the rest.

Yet it seems that unless PS3 games are sbove and beyond what can be done on 360, thePS3 gets bashed. Sony still cant get the amount of props they deservd when they do innovate or excel(MGS4,LBP,KZ2,VC). Its never good enough. Many try and say PS3 has no games, FALSE! then it went to PS3 graphics are not just as good as 360s or if they are just as good they should be better,FALSE(as proven n this thread, KZ2).

Bullshit,2006 PS3 fanboys kept bragging about there hardware and saying how great these games look and how no 360 game can match it,but Sony lied to them.

2009-wait whats changed?

Garnett said:
forevercloud3000 said:
@sydrex

Bullshit,2006 PS3 fanboys kept bragging about there hardware and saying how great these games look and how no 360 game can match it,but Sony lied to them.

2009-wait whats changed?

Sony deserved some bashing for stretching the capability of the PS3 way beyond it was capable of delivering.   Sony claimed that the PS3 has twice the power of the 360.  If the PS3 does have twice the power, developer can just close one eye and still deliver ports that are superior to the 360's originals.  Yet developers opened both eyes and are still having a very hard time matching 360 graphics quality. 

If it does have twice the power, PS3 games should be superior right from the start because developers would have so much more wiggle room to do inferior code and still outperform the 360.  As we know this was the opposite.  This is a true testament to the 360 excellent balanced design. 

I think most people are barely going to be able to tell the difference between the two without looking really hard.