By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which companies(any company related to gaming) do you dislike/hate?

Capcom and Ubisoft. They both have talent enough to make excellent games (and they do!) but I really dislike their attitude.

Around the Network

sony for overpromising and udner delivering

Groucho said:

I'll be the first to say it: Microsoft.

I really dislike the policies they are trying to shove down user's throats as the norm... namely:

* Subscription fees for online
* Piecewise console sales (HDD, wireless network adaptor, controller recharge pack, HD-DVD addon, proprietary HDD, etc.), which add up fast.
* Low-quality hardware that's lucky to outlast its warranty, and that may damage your DVDs, games, etc.
* Lackluster backwards compatibility that requires purchasing the add-ons listed above to utilize.
* Heavy handed "theft" of cross-platform titles, turning them into 360 2nd-party exclusives, denying the consumer's right to choose which platform they prefer the title on.
* Limited 1st-party support.
* "Classic" ugly Microsoft user interface concepts (NXE).

Besides my issues with the controller, and the low-grade of the hardware (which is a major factor -- I want to be able to play games for a while after my warranty expires, if I treat my hardware well!) , the listed reasons are the main reasons I prefer my PS3, and wish Sony well.  

Microsoft sucks.  I would prefer they stay away from gaming -- they're only in the console market to protect their other interests, and that doesn't benefit the gamer in any way.  They don't even care about competing, and upping the gaming quality bar, as much as making sure the other guy can't compete with Windows.  Lame.

Thanks, just saved me some typing. I actually had a 360 for 9 months, and it was a bad experience. I'll add the fact that an account that goes inactive on XBL for 90 days is essentially lost to the user. Sony keeps it's accounts accessable indefinitely.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Sony - arrogant, trying to be so "hip" and cool with their advertising, and a history of being just too damn big and dominant. I don't hate them any longer though since they aren't very dominant anymore.

I dislike EA.

I dislike Blizzard, for stealing ideas and getting all the credit. And I hate that they are so huge and everyone loves them.

coolestguyever said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
coolestguyever said:
1. Sega - Give up already! You got your ass kicked out of the console market and now all you make are shitty sonic games and other sad attempts at software. The only success they've had is the Genesis (no thanks to the Sega CD or 32x). 

It would likely shock you to learn that quite a few amazing Sega franchises never leave Japan (Sakura Taisen, Initial D

They never leave Japan for a reason. They would bomb in North America or Europe.

Sadly, with many game companies unwilling to actually market their games that second statement is more true that I'd like to admit.  None-the-less, whether or not they would make a profit if localized is irrelevant to their quality.

The fact that I can name quality titles made by Sega defies your original point (bolded for emphasis).

Using Metacritic scores as an indication of success is silly.  Profitable games can get poor ratings.  Were it otherwise, we wouldn't have shovelware firms.

Around the Network

only SCE

100% Mexican Power

My dislike list :p

- Sonic team
After 3 killer Sonic games on the master system and mega drive. they've run it into the ground.

- Microsoft
I love microsoft for some things (their programming tools are godly, I also like their networking environments. hence I'm a windows programmer with MCSE :p). But they suck at building hardware, its left me fearful to even buy a 360 as a impulse buy because of that worry.

- Blizzard
I want my 2 years that I spent in Wow back. Also hero units in Warcraft 3 were really a crap idea. Hurry up with diablo 3.

- Id software

Doom 3 was hard on me. I enjoyed the game but it just wasn't Doom, and as a doom fan back in the day it was hard to accept the Doom name on the box considering the gameplay.

- Sony
Sony's biggest problem for me is that they don't know when to keep their trap shut.

- Epic
Epic gave me 3 terrible experences, however 1 of those were fixed. Unreal 2. Unreal tournament 2003 (fixed with 2004). Bloody Mark.....

- Obsidian Entertainment
You took Bioware's Nwn, and seriously screwed it with Nwn2 (even with latest patch, its got frame rate issues, there are serious animation problems, game itself feels bland). Why is it Obsidian that every project Bioware passes to you guys you stuff it up in some way. GRRRR

- Developers of Starwars games.
Stop, please just stop...

- Square Enix
Final Fantasy 11... ok I loved the game but there are few things I hated and blame you square enix for. 1 is the control system, which on PC sucked, and secondly is the required grouping to level, I spent more time waiting around for groups then actually doing something.... and could you pretty please release a special edition of Final Fantasy 12 with Vaan completely omitted from the game, I hate him, I'm sick of looking at his inverted abs, he has no place in the story.

- Obsidian Entertainment
You took Bioware's Nwn, and seriously screwed it with Nwn2 (even with latest patch, its got frame rate issues, there are serious animation problems, game itself feels bland). Why is it Obsidian that every project Bioware passes to you guys you stuff it up in some way. GRRRR

NwN2's tehcnical shortcomings may be inexcusable, but to my understanding the narrative trumps the original just as much as Sith Lords trumped the original KotOR.

And Sith Lords has a valid excuse - LucasArts basically forced them to make the whole game in the space of about eight months. Considering that, they worked miracles.

And these are the people from Black Isle Studios. Fallout 1 & 2! Planescape: Torment! You are not allowed to hate them. Not allowed I say!

Obsidian Entertainment does okay work but they need to get out of Bioware's shadow. They're not Bioware Jr., they're Obsidian Entertainment and they need to make a name for themselves using something other than hand-me-down IPs.

EA

It's one thing for developers to make games I don't want to play. This does not make me dislike them, but rather makes me indifferent about them. It is another thing to be a publisher who takes games I want to play and places security on it I will not accept.

My second choice would have to be Microsoft, but not because of gaming. I have to deal with their annoying products on a day to day basis.