By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Here are the Six Reasons Nintendo Has the Edge

Right, I'm not questioning that for you the Game Gear may offer a better selection. But speaking generally, it does not.

P.S. I was gonna mention Pikmin but forgot.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

i think this list should have been

1) Motion Controls
Motion controls make lots of types of games way more fun. Not every genre certainly, but many of them. Wii motion+ is gonna really expand this too. Racing games, and weapons based game whether its an action rpg or action or action/adventure or whatever, fps, some puzzle games, some sports (especially sports like baseball, golf, bowling, boxing, tennis, and i imagine hockey), etc. And not only that but motion controls can actually create new types of games or completely different ways to play games like with the balance board. Motion controls makes lots of games more fun to play, which is what it is all about.

2) Innovative new software
Mostly this is coming from the wii series (wii sports, wii fit, wii music). But two of those games are driving wii sales like crazy. And wii sports is one of the most fun games i've played in years and its so simple its genius. Basically any game that uses motion controls to create new ideas for games or put a new spin on old ideas is using the technology well and that creates better games.

3) Innovation in general
Not just this gen but any gen nintendo usually the innovator. Granted microsoft brought in the harddrive and full online capabilities. While sony brought in discs instead of cartridges...wait, actually didn't saturn release first so i guess sega actually introduced that. hmm, well sony at least always pushes the storage size of discs, but thats not even a good thing this gen. so sony kinda sucks at innovation i suppose, the perfect example of this is the fact that sony has used the same controller for 3 generation which is just pathetic. The rest of innovation in the gaming market has pretty much all come from nintendo. Usually its in the form of controller and software innovation, but the way we play games and the games themselves are basically the two most important things to keep gaming fun.

4) Casual games
Yes, thats right, casual games. And i don't mean this as cheap cash-in mini game compilations that are generally hated by use gamers. But actual good games that are loved by both casuals and core gamers alike as well as casual games that bring in new ideas and expand the market which can only be good for gaming.

Stuff like wii sports is sooooo fun to play unless you are a snobcore, and its a casual game. even wii fit and wii music are bringing in new ideas and while some may find the games bad, they are expanding the possibilities for gaming and thats a good thing. For example, i think the only thing holding wii music back from being an incredible new piece of software is that you can't make your own music, you can only manipulate the preloaded songs. If you could actually write your own notes and songs in there and then use all the different instruments to make a musical creation completely your own then wii music would be huge for the music game industry in a way that guitar hero and rock band can't even imagine.

Games like boom blox and mario & sonic and the rayman games, and whatever other good casual games are out there are good for gaming. Not only cuz some of these games are actually really fun games but they bring in new ideas for gaming and new gamers which makes the industry bigger which means more gaming in the future.

5) Good business strategy
This comprises a lot of things. Nintendo knows how to make money even when its the last place console. So now that they have the two fastest selling systems ever right now they are raking in unprecedented amounts of money. This also has to do with not making a gazillion different sku's bringing out a new one every few months like is whats happening with ps3 and 360. its ridiculous. if nintendo now released a new wii that has updated features i'd be pretty pissed, i can't imagine how i'd feel right now if i only had a 360 or ps3 from launch.

Also this has to do with making an affordable console. Don't make a console that is way too expensive for people to buy and way too expensive to even make so that it doesn't sell well AND you lose lots of money. thats just bad business.

This also has to do with focusing on doing something well instead of trying to do many things poorly. Nintendo makes quality video game systems and they do it very well. They don't release consoles that aren't ready and have unheard of failure rates(RRoD) or that tack on useless things(six-axis), or try to push other unneeded but expensive technology(blu-ray). Nintendo makes a video game system to play games and with a quality unmatched by any other company.

6) A stable of great franchises that appeal to everyone
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Pikmin, Star Fox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Wii series, Mario Party, Mario sports series, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, etc.

These franchises are generally very core gamer and casual friendly. Some are more niche than others, but many of them can appeal to all audiences and when taking all these games as a whole nintendo has a stable of their own franchises that will always be exclusives that appeal to that entire gaming market and is even expanding that market a lot. Everyone can pick several of the franchises out of that list that they love. Sony and microsoft each have a few great franchises that gamers know they will get to play each generation. But what sony and microsoft have combined doesn't even come close to nintendo's first party lineup.

And to people who say that the only games that sell are nintendo games (which is wrong in the first place) as if nintendo games are all the same, look at the variety here: sports, fitness, music, mini-games, platforming, action/adventure, racing, rpg, social, fp-adventure, fighting, flight/shooting, and like strategy or whatever pikmin is.

I couldn't imagine going a geneartion without getting at least the new mario, zelda, metroid, mario kart, and smash bros. games, and i couldn't imagine going through this gen also without having wii sports. The thing about these games is their broad appeal. The focus of these games aren't heavily violent action games and shooting games that are gonna appeal to a much smaller crowd like microsoft and sony focus on. Nintendo has this incredible list of franchises many of which are always of the highest quality and they appeal to as broad a base as possible without neglecting anyone. if you are the most hardcore gamer or the most casual gamer you can find several things to love in nintendo's franchises. Sony and Microsoft would be well advised to make a quality stable of franchises that appeals to all audiences like nintendo has always done from the start.

thats what i think sony and microsoft can learn/copy from nintendo to create better games and help make the market continue to grow.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

People in my country think that every home console is playstation.
It has changed a little in the last few years though.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

What a complete pile of bullshit. Loyal fans gave the Gamecube last place, amazing. There is one reason and one reason only: waggle. Kids see it and they want to waggle, end of.

@ilovetogame: A list of Nintendo's good qualities isn't the place for an anti-Sony rant. And BTW Sega actually pushed quite a few innovations in its day, including online play.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:

Grand finale of our three-part series analyzing the advantages of each system coming up.  In case you missed it, here’s what Sony has done great and here’s what Microsoft has done brilliantly.  Here are the six reasons Nintendo is the industry leader at the moment, and wiping the floor with Sony and Microsoft.

1. Great Marketing Strategy

This was suprisingly true. Focusing on people is more important than focusing on how cool I(product) am.

2. Control of the Supply and Demand

This is just being conservative. How can people claim that the Wii WILL FAIL. Then gripe when it's an amazing success. They clearly did not plan this level of success.

3. Appeal to a Wide Userbase (AKA Focus on Casuals)

Ok I got 2 comments.
A. It was a good idea to give attention to more than just the core gamer. Make games for people not  for you tech fetish.
B. They aren't giving less attention to core gamers. They are getting the same attention. It's just that the small child that is whining about it and sais I want more. It's just a greed mentality.

4. Pricing Structure

Agreed. Something that should be copied.

5. Loyal Fanbase

Much like most MP3  players will be called an iPod when something replaces them. Though Sony has earned just a loyal  followers. As we have seen by those who eat Sony Cereal for breakfast :P

6. Mascot Characters

Master Chief blows as a Mascot. Sackboy is a better alternative, but he doesn't seem the kind of character that has a personality that screams from his look. Mario when you look at him automaticly screams stereotype brooklyn italian. MC is just to a small niche icon. Personally I think Sly Cooper for Sony could be a candidate for a good mascot. Like other Nintendo mascots they are friendly and they tell you who they are by looking at them. MC once again looks cool, he tells you he is one bad ass, but by no means is your 6 year old son or daughter going run up screaming master chief and give him a hug. BTW my 9 year old adores Link :)

http://secondstorygamer.com/2009/01/reasons-nintendo-edge-over-sony-microsoft/

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

uhh, final-fan, i'm confused. that wasn't an anti-sony rant at all. did you think it was?? i will sometimes rant on sony or microsoft or even nintendo but this was definitely not one of those times.

the only times i even mentioned sony was when i also mentioned microsoft because those are the two companies i was saying should learn things from nintendo, so that makes sense. and, specifically, the only times i mentioned them was for their lack of innovation which is true, i was harsher to sony because microsoft has done more innovating. and then when comparing sony and microsoft in the bad business strategies section which i think are incredibly obvious this gen seeing the difference in loss/profits between the 3 companies. and once more when comparing microsoft and sony's first party titles to nintendo's.

i have absolutely no idea how you got an anti-sony rant out of what i wrote which had very little do with sony at all and was entirely about what they could take from nintendo's current success to help themselves and the gaming industry in general.

and yeah i think sega did do some good stuff, but since they aren't in the console business anymore i wasn't talking about them. snes also had a online setup, my friend had it, i think it was called xband, i'm pretty sure that was the first online service even though it was probably a very primitive one.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

I would say the pointer is probably more significant to the Wii than motion controls ever were.

Tease.

ilovetogame said:
uhh, final-fan, i'm confused. that wasn't an anti-sony rant at all. did you think it was?? i will sometimes rant on sony or microsoft or even nintendo but this was definitely not one of those times.

the only times i even mentioned sony was when i also mentioned microsoft because those are the two companies i was saying should learn things from nintendo, so that makes sense. and, specifically, the only times i mentioned them was for their lack of innovation which is true, i was harsher to sony because microsoft has done more innovating. and then when comparing sony and microsoft in the bad business strategies section which i think are incredibly obvious this gen seeing the difference in loss/profits between the 3 companies. and once more when comparing microsoft and sony's first party titles to nintendo's.

i have absolutely no idea how you got an anti-sony rant out of what i wrote which had very little do with sony at all and was entirely about what they could take from nintendo's current success to help themselves and the gaming industry in general.

and yeah i think sega did do some good stuff, but since they aren't in the console business anymore i wasn't talking about them. snes also had a online setup, my friend had it, i think it was called xband, i'm pretty sure that was the first online service even though it was probably a very primitive one.

"While sony brought in discs instead of cartridges...wait, actually didn't saturn release first so i guess sega actually introduced that. hmm, well sony at least always pushes the storage size of discs, but thats not even a good thing this gen. so sony kinda sucks at innovation i suppose, the perfect example of this is the fact that sony has used the same controller for 3 generation which is just pathetic. The rest of innovation in the gaming market has pretty much all come from nintendo."

I don't know what else to call this.  Nintendo did this, while Sony did this lesser thing, oh wait they didn't even do that; well at least Sony did this, oh wait that sucks.  Sony sucks. 

I didn't mean to say your entire post was an anti-Sony rant, but it did contain one, of modest size.  (Not an epic rant like ronster316.) 

@Ilovetogame: NES had online too and a disc drive as peripheral.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.