By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of an ethernet port on the Wii is a ridiculous omission.

Save up $80 big ones (USD) and get a decent router, one that connects right to your modem. Believe me, wireless is much easier than Ethernet, but a Cat5 would be faster.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
My point is that Nintendo supposedly went Standard Definition because they figured that not everybody has a HDTV. They should have applied the same logic here and realized that not everybody has or wants wi-fi.

They did apply the same logic, provided you actually think about the issue and not just use it to try to justify your own perspective:

Nintendo's Cost Price to add Wireless Price to add Wired
Include Wireless

Internal Chip
(small form factor)

$0 $10-$20
Include Wired External Port
(larger form factor)
$50-$100 $0

Price for SDTV
users to access

Price for HDTV
users to access
Use SDTV Signal

Cheaper Parts
Smaller Form Factor
Less Heat

$0 $0
Use HDTV Signal Expensive Parts
Larger Form Factor
More Heat
$300-$1000 $0

So you tell me which ones use the same logic.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

WiFi and wired ethernet each has their strength and weakness, but there's nothing ridiculous about Nintendo's decision. They reduced cost per unit and kept the device a bit more compact and power efficient. All that, and they alienated very few customers. Most people have WiFi, and it's rather cheap and easy to get set up if you're not. Nintendo did what Apple does: sacrificed utility for aesthetics. Seems to work out fine.

You do not have the right to never be offended.