By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The lack of an ethernet port on the Wii is a ridiculous omission.

narfwack said:

Just buy a USB adapter and get it over with if you're not going wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000U0RW2E/ref=dp_olp_2

I would just buy a wifi router, way cheaper than the adapter + Cat-5 cable. Here is a  $15 router http://computers.pricegrabber.com/wireless-networking/m/3299527/st=product/sv=title/

and a list of others sorted by price

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/wireless-networking/p/371/st=sort/popup2%5B%5D=60:1012/sortby=priceA

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

Wireless routers are far cheaper than HDTVs so they have burst into peoples homes (plus people usually only buy new TVs to replace an old run down ones), so lack of ethernet port really isn't anything like lack of HD.

Was this just meant to be that obvious a statement or was there a time that wireless routers and HDTVs were in the same price range?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
KylieDog said:

Wireless routers are far cheaper than HDTVs so they have burst into peoples homes (plus people usually only buy new TVs to replace an old run down ones), so lack of ethernet port really isn't anything like lack of HD.

Was this just meant to be that obvious a statement or was there a time that wireless routers and HDTVs were in the same price range?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his post lol. Thats a true "master of the obvious" comment

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Onyxmeth said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Of course, Wi-fi is far more useful for 90% of the population so you should be looking at MS.

Is this from a study or survey?

No, just made up numbers.  Everyone I know with more than a couple people in their home has wi-fi but I'm sure there are people without wi-fi.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Wireless is fairly close to standard these days.

And if you want to go wired, you can get it cheaply -- $25 plus shipping from several vendors (Wal-Mart will ship to store for pickup there for 97 cents).

I guess Nintendo decided that most people did not have their Internet connections and their TVs in the same place. Mine are both in the basement -- but 25 feet apart. I know because I had to borrow extra long cable when I joined Xbox Live.

Given the fact that Microsoft's wireless solution is nearly $100 while Wii's wired solution is $25, I think Nintendo's choice is fine.

Plus, hooking up wireless should not be difficult. When I took the plunge, it took me 15 minutes to set up ... and that was only because I had to do it twice since I forgot my password immediately as I was watching my then four-year-old son.

Mike from Morgantown

Next computer purchase -- new wireless printer.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Onyxmeth said:
KylieDog said:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his post lol. Thats a true "master of the obvious" comment

Yeah it just seems like such an odd thing to say. Maybe wireless routers are just a placeholder for anything popular that is much cheaper than an HDTV, like magazines, bubblegum or kicking ass (which is a  free service I offer by the way, tax not included).

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

FreeTalkLive said:
Onyxmeth said:
FreeTalkLive said:
Of course, Wi-fi is far more useful for 90% of the population so you should be looking at MS.

Is this from a study or survey?

No, just made up numbers.  Everyone I know with more than a couple people in their home has wi-fi but I'm sure there are people without wi-fi.

Well I'm doing a little wireless myself because of necessity. There's an upstairs computer I don't feel like paying for an ethernet port to be put in and don't want to run a wire up there along the wall. Outside of that one thing though, I put everything else in close enough proximity to keep it all wired, because the connection is more consistent and stronger in my house. The upstairs computer doesn't have a strong signal and occasionally goes out. My wireless router is used more as a hub to house four ethernet cables coming out to other devices. Well my DS, Wii and PSP are all on wireless too but that is only because I don't have the option standard to wire them.

KylieDog said:
Onyxmeth said:
KylieDog said:

dougsdad0629 said:
My point is that Nintendo supposedly went Standard Definition because they figured that not everybody has a HDTV. They should have applied the same logic here and realized that not everybody has or wants wi-fi.

Obviously not that obvious with comments like this.

Ahhh...ok. It's making more sense now. Quoting him would have helped you know.

btw, I think I still have my old nintendo usb wireless adapter for when i had my DS, if anyone wants it. Let me see if I can locate it lol

Zucas said:
Yea it would have been nice to have the option out of the box, but wireless is the way of the future. Nintendo has pretty much kept everything wireless since the later days of the gamecube era.

They've never really embraced wired online. There's something about WiFi they really like, to the extent of almost pushing it forward. Either it is the convenience of the connection or the very politically profitable process of clinging to the cancer agenda, maybe both.